Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-27-2011, 12:50 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2008 Prostar 197
Check Engine Problem, Temp seems low

My boat popped up with a check engine beep. It limited the RPM to 3,000.

I let it sit for a bit, but the same thing happened after a half hour. Nothing looked out of order in on engine. I have good oil pressure and do have enough oil. The temp read low, maybe around 100. I think that was accurate, because when I put it on the lift for the day and took a closer look around, the whole engine was only warm to the touch, even the manifold. Normally its pretty hot and I'd burn my hand. I was able to drive home a half mile or so at 3,000 RPM.

My guess is it needs a thermostat. I was hoping someone would comment though. I keep my boat on a lift 30 miles from my house, so i sort of want to have the right parts and tools when I go out there. If the thermostat is the part, I don't even know where it is. An old post said trace the lake water hoses, which sound doable.

The only thing that bugs me is that i ran out of gas last week. The gas gauge doesn't work well. I wonder if the temperature gauge is off too. Also, I'm wondering if the fuel filter is clogged because of the out of gas deal. Maybe its low fuel pressure? I couldn't easily locate that either.

Are part available at an autoparts store? the closest deal is a hike and not doable .

The boat is a 2008 PS 197.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1992, 351 Ford
Look at a repair manual specific for your boat. I suggest see if you can buy a repair manual. Sounds like your thermostat has stuck open. Either contact mastercraft dealer and get oem thermostat or contact skidim. You will need the gasket also and I like a non hardening gasket sealer on my new gaskets. Your boat do what you want but I change out my fuel filter, freshwater impeller and all fluids every spring.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:48 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks.

I put a new thermostat on yesterday. I think that is going to do it. The code was there on the first few starts, but cleared after a few. I drove to the course, and did a couple passes, then drove back. The temp was solid at 160-170. All was good until i was putting it on the lift, then I got the code. This time I could go over 3000 RPM. After a shut off, it cleared. I did a quick full speed drive with no code, then put it on the lift.

I was talking with a relative at a family party after this. He knows car controllers. He said the code was probably emissions related due to the cold Cats. Then the codes sometimes need two full good cycles to clear. I hope this does it. I think it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldairboater View Post
Look at a repair manual specific for your boat. I suggest see if you can buy a repair manual. Sounds like your thermostat has stuck open. Either contact mastercraft dealer and get oem thermostat or contact skidim. You will need the gasket also and I like a non hardening gasket sealer on my new gaskets. Your boat do what you want but I change out my fuel filter, freshwater impeller and all fluids every spring.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:58 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '05 PS 197 MCX Powerslot
Glad you were able to get an easy fix. I think I also have a stuck thermostat, is it located on the top front of the engine just below the air intake? I have a 05 prostar 197. thanks
Old 09-02-2011, 04:08 PM
TT Newbie

Right. Just follow the water intake.

BTW - My buddy said to take the battery off for a minute to totally clear the codes. We did that and have not had a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut View Post
Glad you were able to get an easy fix. I think I also have a stuck thermostat, is it located on the top front of the engine just below the air intake? I have a 05 prostar 197. thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 11:53 AM
BGK

I had the same issue, but it was due to the POST CAT TEMP sensors. Apparently, the Cat's need to warm up to operating temp within 15 seconds, and if they do not, you will see and hear the check engine notice. The engine went into reduced power mode as you describe at 3,000RPM and would not clear. Indmar has new code that can be sent to your engine controller, but not if you are running ZERO OFF. I spoke with Indmar and they recommend adding resistors to the sensor wires to "sim" or simulate a proper sensor reading. After getting the resistors and a soldering iron from RadioShack for under $10, I did the fix in about 20 minutes. Very simple and easy, and solved all my issues.

I mainly wanted to share this with others because it was pretty difficult to finally get the right answer.

Here is a quick vid of the fix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioo0sEUUjLM
Old 10-03-2011, 11:56 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscpmtmp View Post
Right. Just follow the water intake.

BTW - My buddy said to take the battery off for a minute to totally clear the codes. We did that and have not had a problem.
The newer ECM program keeps people from starting and going WOT immediately, with a cold engine. Not everyone has to idle until it's warmed up and given the chance to go fast immediately, they will. It would probably do the same thing if you start it and go WOT immediately, now that you have the new thermostat, but it goes faster when it's warmed up.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:33 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGK View Post
I had the same issue, but it was due to the POST CAT TEMP sensors. Apparently, the Cat's need to warm up to operating temp within 15 seconds, and if they do not, you will see and hear the check engine notice. The engine went into reduced power mode as you describe at 3,000RPM and would not clear. Indmar has new code that can be sent to your engine controller, but not if you are running ZERO OFF. I spoke with Indmar and they recommend adding resistors to the sensor wires to "sim" or simulate a proper sensor reading. After getting the resistors and a soldering iron from RadioShack for under $10, I did the fix in about 20 minutes. Very simple and easy, and solved all my issues.

I mainly wanted to share this with others because it was pretty difficult to finally get the right answer.

Did your boat come factory with Zero Off?
Old 10-03-2011, 07:22 PM
TT Newbie

Interesting. Cats do need to be hot to work. most emissions are on a cold start. With my boat it wasn't getting hot, so the boat did what it should have. It looks like you have a good work around if its not the T-stat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGK View Post