Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 08-20-2011, 12:46 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 205 - 1994
Help: Head unit turns off when...

I turn the volume up past half-way, and/or when I turn on the blower, bilge pump, honk the horn. Can anyone give me some suggestions on what is going on here? The boat - a 1994 PS205 is new to me, and the head unit is an Alpine iDA-X100M.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Sounds like you don't have enough voltage to the radio with the accessories operating. Start checking for frayed or corrosion on the wires to your radio and the accessories.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 08-21-2011, 01:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Just run a new + wire thru a relay from the old + wire (not enough cpacity on the old boats for power through the ign switch) and run a new ground.
Same problem on my '96 when I put in a better higher powered head unit.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 08-21-2011, 04:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
Had the same issue with my Alpine and ended up putting in a second battery with blue seas acr isolater and dedicated run to stereo from second battery. I guess I went a little over board but new an amp addition was soon to come.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:55 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 205 - 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtajpa View Post
Had the same issue with my Alpine and ended up putting in a second battery with blue seas acr isolater and dedicated run to stereo from second battery. I guess I went a little over board but new an amp addition was soon to come.
I'm thinking I'll do this too. It wouldn't be a waste for me because I plan on adding a sub at some point anyway.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Just run a new + wire thru a relay from the old + wire (not enough cpacity on the old boats for power through the ign switch) and run a new ground.
Same problem on my '96 when I put in a better higher powered head unit.

I have an alpine unit that does this. It is not wired through the ignition switch but wired to one of factory supplied + leads that is live all trhe time. Does it with the engine running or off. Any more than half volume and it shuts off. Running the blower etc. does not affect it.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Bert, If you put a voltmeter at the stereo and start to turn up the volume you will see the voltage drop to 10.5 volts that is were the Alpine units will shut down. The main positive wire from the breaker to the ign. switch is to small to handle the power required by these head units. You need to run a larger wire from the battery to your head unit(or increase the size of the wire from the breaker to ign. switch). That should solve the problem. You can try connecting a #8 or larger wire from the battery to the head unit just to see if this is your issue. If it solves the problem then make it permanent. Just be sure to fuse the wire at the battery end. Or if you want it to work off the ign. switch you can mount a relay under the dash that is activated by the ign. switch to connect the source from the battery to the head unit. More than one way to skin this cat.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Bert, If you put a voltmeter at the stereo and start to turn up the volume you will see the voltage drop to 10.5 volts that is were the Alpine units will shut down. The main positive wire from the breaker to the ign. switch is to small to handle the power required by these head units. You need to run a larger wire from the battery to your head unit(or increase the size of the wire from the breaker to ign. switch). That should solve the problem. You can try connecting a #8 or larger wire from the battery to the head unit just to see if this is your issue. If it solves the problem then make it permanent. Just be sure to fuse the wire at the battery end. Or if you want it to work off the ign. switch you can mount a relay under the dash that is activated by the ign. switch to connect the source from the battery to the head unit. More than one way to skin this cat.
Thanks, I will give it a try.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Thanks, I will give it a try.
Also wouldn't hurt to run an additional ground wire.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Also wouldn't hurt to run an additional ground wire.
I have a # 6 + and - that I have run up to the front from battery that I was using to power an amp before so I will use those to try it. I can see the voltage drop with out the engine running but thought it would have been ok with egine on. Never had this issue till I installed the Alpine so it fits your diagnosis.