Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 08-19-2011, 05:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft 200VRS
Further to my first comment, if you have to put that much ballast in a boat to generate a decent wake, you've got the wrong boat. As much as I am a fan of Mastercraft boats in general, there isn't a single boat in the lineup that generates a truly "proper" surf wake.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar vrs 225, 1995,5.7, X2 2005
Life jacket!!

Cool video but come on wear life jacket while towed by a boat. 2 years ago my wakesurfer struck me in the forehead and did a 2 inch cut. Good thing i had my life jacket (ok i have a comp vest but it still float me). Then two week ago one of my rider was also struck in the face by is wakesurfer. That first aid kid came handy...

This video aired on cable TV (RDS). What a good example for my kids...
Old 08-19-2011, 07:27 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I noticed the same safety violations myself. At least 3 tickets if you did this in NJ.

1. no PFD
2. passenger on sun deck
3. overloaded boat

We have a min rope length of 35 feet here, so I have my special rope that I attach to the bow eye, go over the tower and back to the rider. Even with that, we always stop surfing when to popo gets close, wait for them to leave and then we resume. Lawmakers here didn't understand that wakesurfing is safe as long as you use inboard boats, no outboards or I/O's.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft 1985 PowerSlot 351 Ford
Bunch of nanny state whining. Is a person on the sun deck really in any danger? The prop is in front of them. People have trick skied for years without a PFD. Yes, I make everyone behind my boat wear a PFD, but I can certainly see situations where it wouldn't be a problem. Yes, the boat is dangerously overloaded, but what is worst case scenario? Swamping? At least they don't have 12 people in the bow to fall out.

That 35' rope rule is stupid. A surfer doesn't need a rope! Another option would be to tie a big knot about 12' into a 35' rope. Just hang onto the knot, instead of the handle/end of rope.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X-Star
Well I would like to surf that wave, I wish I had that behind my X-Star. But I am not comfortable using that much weight. It looks like they are going pretty fast too...

As far as safety goes... obviously not in the states, so more power to them.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
Back to life! I lifted this from WW (not my post or my boat): #1100 sacs in the aft compartments.. The X star does not like any KGB or bow weight. It'll wash out.. #450 on the aft seat.. and if we don't have someone to hang on the rear deck, we fill a brick #250 on the platform.. The surf wake is dialed goofy or standard @ 10.8 to 11.2.

I'm going to try something similar next time out, but need to order up another sac first. I'll fill factory tanks (except KGB), 750 in each locker, two 400 sacs on the surfside aft corner seat. I also read (probably same thread even) that sinking the boat past the rub rail starts to hurt the wave (plus it's obviously safer not to do that). We shall see.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
We run a 750 in the rear locker, 750 on the floor (back) and factory front and port full. Speed 11.8mph

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2012 Volkswagen GTI 5dr DSG, Carbon Grey Metallic w/ Leather/Luxury, Technology and 18" Serron Pkg's. H&R springs, Unitronic Stage 2 Chip, Ultimate racing 3" downpipe w/200 cell metal cat, xenondepot 3k HID Fog lights.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:36 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for posting....

We have a 2010 X-Star....with the plug and play option. We will play with the ballast this weekend to see how we can improve it for surfing. We usually fill all the hard tanks then the rear starboard or port bag depending on if we have someone surfing goofy or someone surfing regular. I will try all the hard tanks and the both rear bags full and keep the bags under the front seats empty.

I have seen some sick surf wakes on some X-45's! I am sure the new X-Star has a nice surf wake as well.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
Well, tried port and starboard full, KGB empty. 750 in each locker, 400 under observer, 400 on rear seat at port, 155 brick in port corner of floor. It was a freak'n disaster. I don't know what that thing was behind my boat, but it was not a surf wave. Looked more like a pressure washer on steroids. Nearly full throttle to go 12mph.. So, took the 750 out of the starboard locker and put it on the observer seat. Actually ended up be a respectable wave, but not as good as I've had in the past. Sorry, no pics. I think I might be getting close, however. Next time, 750 in port locker, 400 under observer, 750 on floor along observer, or on the rear seat, 400 in the walkway, port and starboard filled. Perhaps strap the 155 on the swim deck if needed.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: xStar, 2008, LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashydubber View Post
We run a 750 in the rear locker, 750 on the floor (back) and factory front and port full. Speed 11.8mph

I run KGB, port hard tank, 1100# in rear locker and 750# under the glove box on my 08 x* and it looks very similar to yours. My speed is 11.5 mph. With this setup the wave is pretty good, but the pocket is short. I need about 4 people on top of the balast and then it's real good. 180 spins are doable, Full 360 is tough.