Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 08-18-2011, 11:06 PM
JonnyD

2011 X-Star wakesurfing; X25 video

Hi guys,

I purchase my first boat this summer and I said to myself go big or go home... so I went with a X-star 2008... and so far what a summer!

The guy that use to have my boat bought a 2011 and is feature in this video (the show is in french by the way)...enjoy:

http://quebec.wake2wake.ca/quebec/h20/episode-6

Part A:
- youngster wakeboarkding behind a x25
- 6min wakesurfing behing a 2011 x-star... for the one that say x-star dont have great wake for surf, watch this.

Part B:
- wakeskating
Old 08-19-2011, 08:47 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Wow, that X-star is slammed for surfing! I wonder how much weight is being used and where.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:00 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-Star, 2006, 8.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
Wow, that X-star is slammed for surfing! I wonder how much weight is being used and where.
+1

I would really appreciate it (as I think others would too) if you could find anything out as far as how much ballast and its distribution, as well as if they're using any surf tabs, etc.!

Granted I haven't slammed our star too, too much, but our surf wave doesn't even compare to the one in the video.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
Best mix I have for surfing on my x-star is as follows....

750 in port locker, 750 on cockpit floor (rear), all factory ballast full. 5-6 people in the boat or a sac under the port side seat

speed is key to have a longer wake... we set it for 12.2mph.

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2012 Volkswagen GTI 5dr DSG, Carbon Grey Metallic w/ Leather/Luxury, Technology and 18" Serron Pkg's. H&R springs, Unitronic Stage 2 Chip, Ultimate racing 3" downpipe w/200 cell metal cat, xenondepot 3k HID Fog lights.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:58 AM
MC Devotee

Look at the sacs in the x-star on the video... I'm gonna try this weekend.

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2012 Volkswagen GTI 5dr DSG, Carbon Grey Metallic w/ Leather/Luxury, Technology and 18" Serron Pkg's. H&R springs, Unitronic Stage 2 Chip, Ultimate racing 3" downpipe w/200 cell metal cat, xenondepot 3k HID Fog lights.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:05 PM
MC Devotee

Then looking at this snap shot... they have A LOT of weight in this xstar. I'd be scared to put this much in the boat

Old 08-19-2011, 12:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 197 TT
How in the heck is any of this legal? First nobody in the boat is sitting, people are riding on the sundeck, and that boat has got to be overweighted. You like to surf? Go to Hawaii. Quit eroding my front yard with your over ballasted wakeboard boats.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntidsl View Post
How in the heck is any of this legal? First nobody in the boat is sitting, people are riding on the sundeck, and that boat has got to be overweighted. You like to surf? Go to Hawaii. Quit eroding my front yard with your over ballasted wakeboard boats.
Using that logic, I suppose we should ban all boats greater than 30 feet in length. There are plenty of boats on my lake that are not wakeboard/surf boats that produce wakes that are equal to, or larger than, the wakes thrown by wakesport boats. Those type of boats have been on our lakes for decades, I don't see anyone complaining about them...
Old 08-19-2011, 01:53 PM
MC Devotee

I love it when a 65 marquis goes by on plane on the trent-severn waterway... nothing like a 4' high wake that swallows small boats for breakfest!

Old 08-19-2011, 03:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntidsl View Post
Really, these surf wakes are any bigger than the 30' + cruisers on the river running off plane or barges??? The boat is overloaded, remind me not to buy a boat from these guys loading them down with 3000lbs+ ballast... The wake behind that Xstar while tall is total junk and short. My son who is probably one of the best surf board riders I have seen will tell you, a tall wave is good, but it is all about the length (pun??)

It is not about seeing how much weight you can add to the rear, just like a good wakeboard wake, the proper balance for the boat with a good long curl wave is the idea. I have had 10 people in my X2 and the rub rail touching the water and the wave is not really any better than how we normally load the boat and 4 to 6 people. Again, getting the proper balance for the hull is the key.