Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Another Amplifier/tower speaker question

Recently purchased a 2009 Mastercraft x-14. Has the four in boat speakers and subwoofer. Has the jl 6 channel amplifier.

Currently has no tower speakers. Original owner said the boat had two tower speakers on the showroom floor and he had them removed prior to purchase. He was unsure, however, if there was originally a different/another amp to power the tower speakers that the dealer may have also removed when removing the tower speakers.

I plan to add two tower speakers in the offseason (either wet sounds or used factory jl speakers). I am trying to figure out how big of a project this might be.

Will I need an additional amp?

Does the "stock" factory setup typically just use the jl 6 channel amp? All six output slots on the current amp are currently connected to "something". I do not see any lose wires or other evidence of anything being unhooked in the under seat compartment.

I am hoping that the dealer did nothing more than pull the tower speakers off the tower and left the wiring intact (thus making my installation job simpler).

Any thoughts?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
RIght now you have CH 1-4 wired to the 4 full range speakers and CH 5-6 bridged to the sub (more than likely).
Yes you need another amp. For 2- 8" WS or MC JL speakers, you'll want another amp capable of 150-200W/ch to get the most out of the speakers.
Not terribly difficult to install if you have a little mechanical aptitude, but there are some considerations about how you wire it up, mainly the source power, to get a good quality installation (ie, size of wire, type of connections, fuses, battery requirements, etc).

You should still have the tower speaker wiring in the tower. They'd be real schmucks if they pulled that out. May even have the power wires still there for an amp. Any evidence of another amp that was installed?

Check out this site www.bcae1.com alot of good car audio info.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Last edited by Thrall; 08-16-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 PM
TT Regular

Thanks. I need to look more closely, but when I looked quickly the other day I did notice any obvious evidence of where an additional amp was mounted previously nor did I see any loose connections from the end of the tower speaker wires that would have plugged into the amp.

I have not taken the ends off the mounting caps on the tower to see what is underneath. I did, however, lower the tower and the speaker wires and plugs still appear to be there (left tower arm one plug with wires, right tower arm two different smaller plugs with wires - some for lights, but presume others for speakers). Of course, as you can tell from my novice comments I have not been in the stereo/speaker installation game since the 80s.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:55 PM
TT Regular

Meant to say "I did not notice any obvious . . . .)
Old 08-17-2011, 03:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Houston,
Yes, it would stretch the existing 6-channel amplifier too thin trying to run an additional pair of especially tower speakers.
Your choice of tower speakers will depend on your anticipated usage whether at rest in quiet and in close proximity to the boat, or at surf range with noise competition, or at wake range, or a combination of the above.
Once you decide on the right tower speaker for your usage the speaker choice will pretty much dictate the right amplifier.
It would have been alot of trouble with no gain for anyone to remove the tower harness so its likely intact.
To add tower speakers and a dedicated tower amplifier you will only need a short list of supporting parts and wiring. The procedure is simple with a little instruction.
Perhaps the only bit of complication I would add would be to have the convenience of separate tower and in-boat zone controls at the helm and at your fingertips. The byproduct of zone controls would be the added line level voltage which could greatly impact the quality of the entire system including the existing in-boats.

David
Earmark Marine
Old 08-22-2011, 12:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
I have the same setup in my 2008 PS214 with a factory installed Mini-Tower .... it looks like my 6 channel JL amp is wired in as stated above and there are cables colored matching the tower connectors.
I am going to do the same thing and add 2 JL tower speakers in the near future and see how the existing AMP does with them .... I am ready to add another AMP if needed. I am not trying to get all sound on the lake with the setup, but I do enjoy clean sound, well reproduced, so if it even hiccups once ... then 2nd AMP enters the fray ..... keep us posted, I'll do the same.

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old 08-22-2011, 06:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214 w/ mini tower mcx
Our '08 PS214 w/ mini tower was factory equiped with 2 JL tower speakers. For reasons I'll tell you about another day, the speakers were removed by the dealer (the now closed Houston Mastercraft) before we picked up the boat. They just removed the speakers, left the amp and the wiring for them. So we have the same JL 6 channel amp you have, and a JL 2 channel amp for the tower speakers mounted just above it. We have thought about replacing the tower speakers, but the cost of the MC/JL speakers is crazy high, so the amp is just sitting there, bolted to the bulk head. I can take some pics of it if you want to see how MC wired it all up. Do you all know of any tower speakers that will mount to our tower mts without the $2000.00 price tag?

Last edited by gts-20; 08-22-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:10 PM
TT Regular

Thanks. I am going to take a closer look to see if it looks like another amp was initially installed. One of the guys I visited with at the dealer suggested Wetsounds if I cannot locate a good used pair of the original JL speakers during the offseason.

Need to do some more investigating whether the Pro 60s will work fine or if I need to do the Pro 80s. The 80s look big sizewise in the pictures.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X2 - 350MCX
if I could seek some advise........
we have a 2007 X2 (late) running 4 cabin, sub and two tower speakers thru a JL 6 channel amp
we have just sourced an extra pair of factory cans as well as a M4300 JL amp......
propose to run the 4 tower speakers thru the M4300...... (two amps)
if I can ask a stupid question........
head deck we have is a clarion CMD4A......... 4 rca outputs go back to the 6 ch amp....... how do I configure the rcas now with the 4 ch amp any advise/schematics would be gratly appreciated
Old 09-21-2011, 12:34 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbomb View Post
if I could seek some advise........
we have a 2007 X2 (late) running 4 cabin, sub and two tower speakers thru a JL 6 channel amp
we have just sourced an extra pair of factory cans as well as a M4300 JL amp......
propose to run the 4 tower speakers thru the M4300...... (two amps)
if I can ask a stupid question........
head deck we have is a clarion CMD4A......... 4 rca outputs go back to the 6 ch amp....... how do I configure the rcas now with the 4 ch amp any advise/schematics would be gratly appreciated
You have a similar setup to mine, except I have a separate amp for the sub and the 6 channel amp is running the 4 cockpit speakers (rear speakers are powered by 2 bridged channels each).
To preserve being able to fade to the cabin or tower speakers without adding any more fancy gear. Take the "front" pre-amp outs from your stereo and split them each 2 ways and run them to channels 1-4 on your 6 channel. Wire the cockpit speakers accordingly to channels 1-4 on the amp. You should not need to run rcas to ch 5-6 on the amp to get signal to those channels for the sub (almost positive).
Then run the sub off of channels 5-6, with the appropriate amp settings, low pass, etc.
Take the "rear" pre-amp outs from the stereo and split them each 2 ways and wire to ch 1-4 on the 4 channel amp. Hook up the tower speakers appropriately for left/right.

This is not splitting the signal voltage through the rcas more than once, so signal voltage should be good. I have my "front" signal split 3 ways on each channel and it was reccomended to get a line driver to boost signal voltage, but I haven't as the stereo plays clean and LOUD. Could it sound better, maybe, but that's a project for another time.

I'd leave the 3rd set of pre-amps out of the equation, jsut because they are "non fade", as in always powered, which doesn't sound good if you hook the sub to them and want to turn down the cabin and crank the tower speakers. The the cabin just buzzes and thumps while all the noise goes out the back of the boat. The only setup with your current equip that may make sense using the 3rd set of pre-outs, is if you never want to fade out the cockpit speakers. Then use the 3rd, no fade set split to the **** pit speakers and the "front" pre outs to the sub, rear pre-outs split to the towers. Then you could turn "off" the sub by fading to the rear and your options would be 1. Fade front - no tower speakers, but all the cockpit speakers work. 2. fade set to center position, all speakers and sub are full tilt. 3. Fade to rear, all full range speakers work, sub is turned "off" maybe for hanging out at the beach or preserving some draw on the battery(s) while parked.

This setup will get you equal power to all the full range speakers and will be the best bang for your current amp setup (presuming the 6ch is a M6450). You will notice a significant boost in volume if you are able to get some bigger amps. Right now you're pushing 75W/ch max to each of the full range speakers under ideal conditions (full battery voltage, good wiring). The speakers will handle double that easily. Something to think about if you stumble across a bigger amp(s).
Try, after your have the 4300 wired up, bridging 2 ch each to jsut 2 of your tower speakers and compare 150W/ch to 75 W/ch. It's noticeable!

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Last edited by Thrall; 09-21-2011 at 12:41 AM.