Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 08-15-2011, 10:52 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 89 TRISTAR OB
basic rules of putting weight in a old boat! need advice!!

Hello! I purchased a mastercraft tristar 89 and trying out different ballast setups to get the perfect wake but don't really know how to make a wake longer or higher...I have a fatseat (650lbs) that goes in the back and 2 other 260lbs bags that I can move around the boat. Am I better to block off the rear vent? Just wondering if someone can give me a cue on the rules of getting the best surf wake you can with an old boat! thanks for your advice!
Old 08-15-2011, 11:19 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
I have a TriStar as well, don't know how you can make a boat like that into the perfect wakeboarder. There isn't a lot of flexibility, you just add weight until you get to what you want. The vents are on the side (at least they are on the 190, don't know about the 220), don't know why you'd want to cover them up.

I put about 50 lbs of weight on the port side toward the stern to help correct the list, but I did that for skiing purposes, not boarding.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:32 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 89 TRISTAR OB
actually the tristar is excellent for wakeboarding. I just put the 650lbs in the back and sit 2 people on it and it is perfect! pretty rampy and a clean lip. My question was more about surfing...I am new to this scene and don't really know if it's the speed, the bags or any other factor that has to be corrected...