Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 and 1998 Baha Cruiser Mach 1 290
1989 Tristar mini makeover on Busch Light budget

I started out this off season with a few minor things to do,
1) Seal leaks in rear of the boat around the exhaust flanges and speedo's and rub rail.
2)Replace the decals and get the missing tristar decal
3)Clean seats and get some quotes for possible replacements.

that turned into alot more than I was planning on. When I winterized the boat I noticed one of the exhaust manifold drain plugs had pretty smooth threads and was worn out as was the inside of the exhaust. So I waited until I took it to a garage and had a guy look at it and he had new threads in a matter of minutes but they was not much meat left on the casting. So I decided to buy the easy drain kit from SKIDIM and never have to remove that hopefully getting a few more years of use..

Received a few quotes for the interior--Keep in mind I did not have the means to get to viper for a complete redo and the local shops were all asking over $5000. for just a basic interior (no welting) that was noted on the quote as being (alot more) and no carpet included .
So one intersting option I got was from a shop that does restoration of leather and vinyl. They gave me a quote that was right in line with what I was looking for. Repairing what they can and fixing the bad stitching and replacing what was needed. Still havent got the parts back yet will show you before and after once they are back.

But while I had manifold off and almost all the vinyl out I had other things that I added to my to do list.
4) Took out combings and the wood was brittle-replaced the the wood but kept the vinyl and put it all back together. (there is alot of staples wow)
5)The removable floor piece between the windshield had felt soft - so I took it out and the wood inside was rotted had to scrape all the wood out and replace the lay over with several layers of fiberglass.
6)took out the carpet because it was in pretty bad shape since I already had almost everything else out of the interior at this point. Ordered new carpet and currently in process of installing. While carpet was out had two spots under each front seat that needed to be fiber glassed, also fiber glassed all the screw holes that hold the seats and everything else down since they seemed to be larger than the screws are now. Sanded all the old glue off the floor and side walls (PITA) glad that is done.- Midnight Boat Carpeting (20oz)https://www.boatcarpetcentral.com/mi...um-boat-carpet
7) Since I had the manifold off one side I took exhaust flanges and speedo's off and reinstalled everything sealing and tightening all clamps.
8)Got to install a new stereo and speakers nothing special but better then what was in there. (Dual stereo with speakers package deal)
9) Took windshield off to replace the weather stripping, had several places where it was straight up missing. Polished the dash up nice and purdy while that was off.

Still have alot of things to do will add them to the list and keep updating.
Keep in mind these might not be the choices everyone might make as upgrades but I did not want to drop a bunch of money into a boat that I would never see back out of it if I ever decided to sell but I do intend to keep it for a year or two more until I can upgrade to a newer mastercraft. And all this work is stuff I have never attempted before or would have ever attempted with out Team Talk (gotta love this site) and it has kept me pretty busy this winter and will keep me busy for the next several weeks. Will attach some of the pictures tonight and the rest once I have them all sorted out and downloaded from the camera if I can find the cable.
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

some of the progress pictures

Here are some of the in process pictures.... Not sure exactly when I started all this
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

some more in progress

Think I am getting a hang of it now I will put what each picture is now.
1) walk thru floor board with rotted wood
2)old combing panels
3)alot fo staples pulled from combing panels
4 and 5) Holes in floor under each seat cleaned out and repaired
6 and 7) floor and sides with all the glue after carpet removed
8)cleaned scraped and sanded floor glue all removed
9) holes repaired did some more finishing sanded smoother and such but didnt take final cleaned up pics
More to come
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

More

as promised
1) Rounded drain plug
2) quick drain plugs
3)exhaust and speedos reinstalled minus flappers still cleaning them up before putting back on
4)The new drain plg put back in or the part that I was worried about being able to catch a thread, hopefully I will not have to pull this off and save me from having to buy new manifolds for a few more years ( thought this was a pretty handy solution)
5)Sealed the floor seams with some 3M 5200 black where it has some seperations
6)Picture of the front end cleaned up a bit from what it looked like before.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2013, 12:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

last for now

Here are the last few I have loaded to the computer the others are in other cam or not downloaded yet or I have not taken them yet !!!
1 and 2) Old carpet next to new carpet --Love the improvement
3 and 4) walk thru floor piece carpet front and back.. Got a bit sloppy with the glue Opps
5) Picture of the passenger side with the carpet laid down..Still have the drivers side to do and 2 of the center sections, front Vee section and the pieces under the dash board.

So Since this is my last post for now feed back would be appreciated but be gentle.. I am pretty stoked and would hate to be bummed after ha ha ha..

and I have a question for your opinion..Post # 1 Picture 1 and post # 2 picture # 5 the decal has been removed. It used to be red with a grey or silver outline..What do you suggest as a replacement decal? Would it look good with the black outline as the registration numbers like in Post 1 picture 5? Or any other suggestions for colors or just straight up red? Have Jim Baws waiting on me to give him the color scheme I want.

Thanks for looking hope you enjoy..
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2013, 05:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
That looks like a lot of hard werk man! nice one! Keep the pics coming!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Wow. I am assuming that this was a fairly recent purchase and you are bringing her back to life. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:39 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Nice work.

Like a tarbaby, one thing leads to another.

It can be hard to fix others neglect.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190
The floor on the left side of the engine is soft in my 1990 tristar. Im guessing just the wood under the carpet is rotten and needs replacing.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:01 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Really nice work so far. It looks like you are doing a good job of limiting yourself to repairing the necessary issues while keeping an eye on resale. This can be a difficult line to walk. Keep up the great work!

Tandem Axle Trailer Special
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com