Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-13-2011, 11:20 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X-45 2006 LY6
Unhappy aft bilge pump on X-45

My bilge keeps filling up on my 45. It was ok as long as my pump was working but now it does not work in manuel or auto. What is the best way to get to it? And from reading the other posts I believe my packing around the prop shaft is leaking. How do I get to that and tighten it. I'm can fix most things but getting to things in around the engine is very difficult, is there a better way? I know this is unrelated but my speed control LCD display is on sometimes and off others. It will fade in and out, but seems to stay activated. Anyone else have this problem.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-45
That's weird.. I get water in my X45 too but it ALWAYS the front bilge that goes on. I did replace both and it's about 20 min total to replace them so I would do that as well.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:41 AM
TT Newbie

How difficult was it to get to the aft bilge?
Old 08-13-2011, 11:42 AM
TT Newbie

bilge pump
Old 08-13-2011, 05:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 X45 LQ9
I found replacing the aft bilge pump was easier than the one in the center. In my '06, it was on the driver's side of the engine. Take all your stuff out of the locker, remove the panel by the engine and you shoulw be able to see it. The problem I had was the Rulee 750 changed shape. The new pump wouldn't fit into the old bracket. Fortunately the screw hole pattern remained the same, so I swapped brackets too.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:28 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks, I'll be working on it on Thursday
Old 08-14-2011, 12:42 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Used to have 2006 X-45....
You need to figure out why your front one is not the one pumping out the water. The lowest point on an X45 at rest is the forward bilge pump. The water spreads out when it rushes to the back, and won't be deep enough to trigger the bilge. THen when you stop, it rushes forward and triggers the forward bilge when you come off plane. At least that is how my X45 hull worked.

Both of mine decided to take a crap on me the day that I forgot the plug. Could have darn near lost the boat since I did not have that nice trickle of bilge water coming out to remind me.

If you are handy, I would run the automatic bilge wire to the battery. The geniuses at MC put it with the regular wiring. Suppose you leave your boat at the lake, you turn your perko switch to off and a big storm rolls in...the boat fills with water slowly and sinks. I have a theory that is what happened to a long time member here, although he did not say as much. Other inboard boat makers do it that way. The bilge is almost never a cause of constant draw down, so no need to worry about having it kill the battery.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X45
my 08 bilge pumps are directly connected to the battery ^^

i agree the aft bilge is in a tricky position and wouldn't want to try and get back there to change it out...my suggestion would be to get into the starboard locker and take out the wall and try and be a contortonist
Old 08-14-2011, 01:28 PM
TT Newbie

I will check the forward bilge as well. I know my bilges are not connected directly to the battery, two springs ago I stored my boat outside and when I turned on the batteries the bilges started. So I think I will directly wire then as well. If I have trouble I will be on this forum begging for help.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:02 PM
TT Newbie

i was able to get the aft bilge running but the fwd I could find and is not running. How do I get to it?

Tags
bilge, speed control