Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 03-19-2012, 05:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star
2002 light grey found aftermarket match?

Anyone had any luck in matching the light grey used on the vinyl around 2002? If so, could you share the brand and color code/name? I'm having trouble finding a good match locally.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:36 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Most likely, the brand was G&T, which is not readily available at retail unfortunately.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Yes, to clarify--I wouldn't want the exact same vinyl anyway, its terrible. I bought a replacement skin and it only lasted two years--pretty disappointing especially considering how well I take care of my vinyl. I was just wondering who has found a match they thought was good enough, and what the make/color was.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
I don't have that color but do have an '00 MasterCraft that I was trying to match some vinyl on. I went here:
http://www.yourautotrim.com/marinevinyls.html

based on another forum member's recommendation and sent them an email requesting samples of all of the colors that appeared to be similar. I ended up finding a pretty much exact color match but the texture was more of a faux leather than the stippled texture of the OEM vinyl. MasterCraft actually mixed textures on my boat anyway (Black parts being leather and the white & tan parts being the "stippled") so I'm not too concerned about that.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

OK, thanks I will look at those. I figured the texture wouldn't be quite right, but I'm Ok with that if I can get close on the color.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:42 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcjr View Post
Yes, to clarify--I wouldn't want the exact same vinyl anyway, its terrible. I bought a replacement skin and it only lasted two years--pretty disappointing especially considering how well I take care of my vinyl. I was just wondering who has found a match they thought was good enough, and what the make/color was.
G&T is actually a good vinyl manufacturer overall. It's pretty much in all the name brand ski boat makers. But there is no doubt that whatever variety MC was ordering in that era was not built for longevity. I have been lucky buying a bit older boats with vinyl that was built to last.

Check out MasterCraftSkins.com

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.