Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 08-04-2011, 01:57 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 X-2
Summarizing surf ballast threads for an '03 X2 (aka 205v or X1): Questions!

Yes, there are 100 threads about this. Yes, I read them all. Yes, they all offer contrary advice. "As much weight as you can" is followed by "nothing but the rear tank on one side." Iím going to try to summarize what I think Iíve read, and where I think that leaves me and look to you folks for feedback:

A sample of the threads/advice
Quote:
I have gotten my cleanest surf wake with nothing in the ski locker 750 on the side and about 500 in the Integrated Bow Sac from Fat Sacs. .
Quote:
We get a great surfable wake on our 05 X-2 by filling a single back locker (the wake is nice on both the port & starboard), filling the center ballast, plus @200 lbs up on the surf side bow seats, and @250 lbs as far back as we can get. .
Quote:
Here is our current set up for a port side wake: removed port side hard tank and replaced it with a 750 fat sac. Underneath the side port seat is a 370 fat sac that I have connected to the starboard pump. Full center ballast and 180 in the bow. .
Quote:
We use the port side ballast, plus 400 lbs sack on top, 350 lbs sack in the front, and 250 lbs on the port side seat, plus 3 adults. .
Quote:
In my buddies 2000 X-Star we run a 750 in the port locker, kbg full, 600 in the walk way and passengers in the rear port seats. .
My local shop
They suggest pulling the rear tanks and replacing with bags, then using bags on the surf-side seats and in the bow with manual fills. They have had poor experiences trying to plumb and fill/empty under-seat or spill-over solutions so they suggest tossing pumps over the side.

My current setup
New-to-me 2003 X2, with stock triple KGB and nothing else. Looking to weight for surfing, but able to board as well. Would prefer to not have bags on the seats and in peopleís way (but it isnít looking likely).

Iíd like to have it all push-button, but that seems out of the question. So that leaves me with:

Definitely do: replace both rear tanks with bags. Presumably 750s, what dimensions?
Keep: the kgb center bag. It seems to fill solid and well, any reason to mess with it?
Add: Bags for the bow and surf-side (starboard in our case) rear. What kinds?

Questions:
1) What size bags for the rear tank replacements? The wakemakers site talks about the new X2, but I don't see listings for the X1/original XStar dimensions.

2) Similarly, I don't see an under-seat solution for the bow for my boat. Am I missing something?

3) I see people talking about lots of different sized bags for the bow/surf side passenger spaces - is there a good, middle-of-the-road size?

Thanks in advance!

Michael
Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X1 2006 310HP
I have the 06 X1. if surfing is the ONLY consderation then put an enzo sac in the port locker in place of the hard tank and run it up under the seat. I replaced the hard tanks with 750lb bags on both sides. When I surf (port side only) I have the following. 750lb bag in the port locker full, 500lbs vdrive sac on the back seat in port corner, fat brick (150lbs) in the port comparment, KGB full, 500lb vdrive sac in the bow in the middle and a 150lb fat brick in the port bow seat. It makes about a 3 foot high wake with about 4 feet of sweet spot. I use the TSUNAMI pump and actually prefer it due to speed and flexibility
Old 08-04-2011, 03:35 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccobmd View Post
I have the 06 X1. if surfing is the ONLY consderation then put an enzo sac in the port locker in place of the hard tank and run it up under the seat.
I've heard it is almost impossible to weight the board evenly for boarding with the enzo, so I think that's likely out.

Quote:
I replaced the hard tanks with 750lb bags on both sides.
Is there a specific dimension or bag SKU that I need to get to make it fit properly?

Quote:
When I surf (port side only) I have the following. 750lb bag in the port locker full, 500lbs vdrive sac on the back seat in port corner, fat brick (150lbs) in the port comparment, KGB full, 500lb vdrive sac in the bow in the middle and a 150lb fat brick in the port bow seat.
"In the port comparment" means where? Under the seats? Under the glovebox?

Quote:
I use the TSUNAMI pump and actually prefer it due to speed and flexibility
I assume you use 2 or three of them so it doesn't take an hour to fill?

Thanks for the help!

Michael
Old 08-04-2011, 03:54 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamIDFC View Post
Is there a specific dimension or bag SKU that I need to get to make it fit properly?
Looks like I found it: 50x20x20

http://www.wakemakers.com/mastercraf...m-upgrade.html

Has anyone used the integrated bow bag in an XStar/X2/X1/205v?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, LTR
I've got 750s in the rear lockers, stock KGB, and an IBS under the front seats. I fill the IBS until the front seat cushions and cupholders start to "float". I've got it plumbed off the KGB pump with a 3-way valve to direct which bag the water goes to.

Not sure how much weight I get out of it, but it looks reasonably full. You can probably get more weight with bags that don't live under the seats, but I use seats for people and I really don't like walking over/around bags on the floor.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:15 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Star View Post
I fill the IBS until the front seat cushions and cupholders start to "float". I've got it plumbed off the KGB pump with a 3-way valve to direct which bag the water goes to..
I like the sound of that... Couple of questions if you don't mind...

1) Was there any tricky plumbing needed? Is there a clean route from the KGB to the bow?

2) Does it drain cleanly as well as filling?

Thanks!

Michael
Old 08-04-2011, 05:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-2 MCX
Same boat 2002 Xstar. I have the port locker with the 50x20x20 fly high 750 instread of the hard tank. The starboard locker still has the hard tank - I don't want more than 200lbs in that locker, the boat is already too heavy in the back. I have plumbed in a 250lb sack under the passenger side long seat. It is plumbed in with a T off the starboard hard tank pump and I have an on/off valve (on when I surf to fill the passenger bag and off when filling just the hard tank for wakeboard). Then I have the integrated bow sack plumbed in nicely under the bow seats by the prvious owner with its own pump and overflow. I love the bow sack because this boat responds well to front weight. Then I fill another 250 in the bow with my tsumani pump. So what this all means is that I can get about 2000 lbs filling without anyone getting up from their seats, and I only have one bag to fill with the tsunami pump. Takes a few minutes longer to fill and drain, but I love not doing the 5 bags off Tsunami pumps thing.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamIDFC View Post
I like the sound of that... Couple of questions if you don't mind...

1) Was there any tricky plumbing needed? Is there a clean route from the KGB to the bow?

2) Does it drain cleanly as well as filling?

Thanks!

Michael
Plumbing was actually pretty easy after I thought about it for a few minutes...

There are 2 vent lines off the KGB - why? I have no idea. But, they go to the thru-hull vents below the windshield; one port, one starboard. So, what I did was this:
  1. Disconnect the starboard vent line from the KGB bag.
  2. Tape an end of the new fill/drain line for the IBS to the "KGB end" of the starboard vent line with duct tape.
  3. Remove starboard bow cushion, locate starboard vent line under helm, pull line up through floor until you see the duct tape joint and the new line appear. (You may need to fiddle with the hose at the KGB end if it binds on anything.)
  4. Cut duct tape off, and connect IBS fill connector fitting (straight) to end of new hose under helm.
  5. Cut old vent line to appropriate length to be IBS vent line, and connect IBS vent connector fitting (90 degree) to freshly cut end of old vent line.
  6. Install IBS under seats. Connect fill and vent connectors.
  7. Use short chunk of old vent line and a 3/4" hose plug to plug off starboard vent line connector on the KGB.
  8. Cut the KGB fill line directly below hull drain access hole.
  9. Connect 3-way valve to KGB, IBS, and KGB pump so it diverts water from the KGB pump to either the KGB or the IBS. This makes the valve easy to access - just spin the access port open.
  10. Fill KGB. Fill IBS. Surf.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
same boat, same lake!

for surfing
750 port full
kgb full
integrated bow sac full (until cup holders start popping out)

then if it's just 3 of us, we'll typically take the time to manually fill up a Fly High Tube Sac and put it on the port bench while the observer sits in the corner and handles the surf rope and flag. that bag fits perfect.

somewhere around 10.4-10.7 on stargazer

prop is OJ 14.75 x 15.5

from what we've gathered and YMMV, is that the more weight up front helps to lengthen the wave a little bit as well as push the sweet spot a little farther back. it's not night and day, but it does help.

nothing like having a full boat of people though so you can easily move folks around.

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 08-04-2011, 07:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
i'd highly recommend giving wakemakers a call. g-star, do you have any trouble draining your IBS with only one drain line?

2003 X-2 MCX

Tags
205v, surf, x-1, x-2