Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 01-11-2012, 03:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2
I have a 08 x2, I replaced the stock hard tanks in the rear with 2 550lb bags.
Ive found surfing works best filling just the port side rear bag and keeping the KGB empty. tried it with 4 people in the boat and was able to surf without the handle but felt very close to the swim platform. I am still learning though.

I removed the timers, they seemed to be malfunctioning for me as the pumps wouldn't turn on even though the pumps were working fine. I decided to just get rid of them. It was quite easy to do and well worth it, I purchased the relays at an auto part store, the timers actually have the relays in there if you can solder and want to make use of them.

Heres the wiring diagram I used, credit to the guys who made it, cant remember who.
If anyone wants to do this, its easy no soldering required, if you need more detail or pics let me know.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Quote:
Originally Posted by draegerd View Post
Is it possible to surf an 07 X2 with just the stock ballast? I read a lot of the posts earlier and just not sure if I'm ready to invest in some fatsacs. If we loaded the KGB and the port stock tank and put all of our passengers on the port/in the bow could we get a semi-decent wave?
If we have to buy more ballast can they be filled with the pumps already installed or will I have to buy another pump?
We surfed our entire 1st year in an '09 with stock ballast, just have 3 -4 people on the surf side and you can surf it all day long... Add a 400# sack to the surf side locker, fill your KGB and it is "Rock & Roll"
Old 01-13-2012, 10:24 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsCraft View Post
We surfed our entire 1st year in an '09 with stock ballast, just have 3 -4 people on the surf side and you can surf it all day long... Add a 400# sack to the surf side locker, fill your KGB and it is "Rock & Roll"
some say fill kgb and some say dont what is the consensus for you x2'ers
1996 Bayliner 2050
Old 01-13-2012, 01:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: matrix sorrento 2006 315 mrcruiser
Definately for me best results with KGB filled, plus additional bags up front really cleans the wake and lengthens it
Old 01-13-2012, 02:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-mantrix View Post
Definately for me best results with KGB filled, plus additional bags up front really cleans the wake and lengthens it
Does anyone use fat bricks pro x or any smaller type sac up in the bow?
1996 Bayliner 2050
Old 01-14-2012, 08:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X1 2006 310HP
I have an X1 but I use fat bricks along with 400lbs in the front. Put 2 on the side we're surfing on. Easy to move around and can empty them while the pump if emptying the bigger sac's. Very verstatile. I also like them because I fill them early and if skiing leave them in the walkway in the bow, helps the ski wake. Move them to the rear for wakeboarding. Have also used one to offset driver weight when it's just my son and I wakeboarding.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:31 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 x2 mcx
07 X2
We bought the highfly ballast upgrade for our boat last year. Depending on the amount of people in the boat you dont need much ballast in the front. Load up which ever side you surf and sink the rear. We ended up buying an additional 750lb bag to go on the seat if there was only a couple people (+250 stock rear side and 455lb highfly piggy back sack). Good wave you are just have to surf closer to the boat than a X45 with the same weight.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:07 PM
MC Fanatic

i have a bow filler cushion so i wonder if the fat brick would fit under the cushion and would it along w/ filling the kgb offer a much better slalom wake? right now our x2 slaom wake w/ wakeplate deployed still stinks. Does anyone else have a formula for flattening the x2 wake?
1996 Bayliner 2050
Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 X2 350hp
[quote=obsessed;810179]I have a 08 x2, I replaced the stock hard tanks in the rear with 2 550lb bags.
Ive found surfing works best filling just the port side rear bag and keeping the KGB empty. tried it with 4 people in the boat and was able to surf without the handle but felt very close to the swim platform. I am still learning though.

I removed the timers, they seemed to be malfunctioning for me as the pumps wouldn't turn on even though the pumps were working fine. I decided to just get rid of them. It was quite easy to do and well worth it, I purchased the relays at an auto part store, the timers actually have the relays in there if you can solder and want to make use of them.

Heres the wiring diagram I used, credit to the guys who made it, cant remember who.
If anyone wants to do this, its easy no soldering required, if you need more detail or pics let me know.

What exactly is the purpose of this? We have had some issues with our tanks not filling completely or not draining completely and as far as we can tell the pumps work and it's not an issue with the impellers because I changed them all last year. Maybe the timers malfunction and stop the tanks from filling/draining completely? If the timers are removed then what could be the consequences or what would the difference in operation be?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2 2008
Send a message via Skype™ to Grant777
I surf behind my 2008 X-2 with stock ballast no problem, even with just three in the boat. I fill all the hard tanks and position two people on the rear side I'm going to surf and one next to or opposite the driver. I ride in RPM mode on the PP and aim at 10.4mph. It helps clean the wake if you turn slowly away from the side you are going to surf. So to surf port side turn gently to starboard. It does help that I know how to surf and board selection is important. The most fun we have been having is on a 6ft surf board with the center fin removed to reduce fin drag. (I'm 6ft4 and 210lbs). My fat sacs are on order from wakemakers but more for a big wakeboarding wake with fewer people onboard.