Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 07-24-2012, 01:46 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft
Critique our wave/form!! Need Help.

I've clipped together some shots from this past weekend on Lake Geneva, WI...for some helpful feedback.

Sorry, I didn't have time for production value, no music, etc...but the vid gets right to the point. Any help is appreciated on our form and/or wake. We're having a real hard time getting this dialed in.

This was my best time out (green shorts), and the best/longest we've gone wireless thus far.

I've realized best results occur standing more straight up vs. bent over at the knees, and feet more forward than we originally started with.

Our wake looks like crap, and we haven't been able to get it much better than what it is now. I feel like I have to fight to stay wireless (vs. others who look so natural), and the sweet spot is soooo small. Any help is much appreciated!!

Our specs:
2012 MC X25
Port Stock Ballast Full
Mid Stock Ballast 1/2 Full
950lb Sac Full in the left seat/locker (not the totally rear next to the engine)
Starboard Trim tab 100%
Attitude plate 100% and 50%...both worked well.
On a Liquid Force Fish 5.0 Board
Speed 10 mph
Usually 3 to 4 people on the boat, spread across the left side.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3QS3M3UB9Ig" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not sure why it's not embedding, but here's the direct link:
http://youtu.be/3QS3M3UB9Ig

Last edited by PolishPete; 07-24-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 07 X45 8.1L, 13 X30 5.7L
Looks pretty rough on your lake. Tough to get a good surf wake on real choppy water.

Looking at your video it appears your big issue is that the gigantic swim platform is 'digging' into the wake. This is why you have all the white wash where the lip should be. You may have to look into a custom platform.

Looking at your setup I would recommend adding weight on top of the port stock. And also try putting some weight towards bow. Either under observer seat or under bow seat. Increasing your speed a little will lengthen the pocket.

Your style looks good, and you should have no problem surfing wireless. I would recommend trying a different board...Look into the 'Wakesurf board' specific companies. Inland Surfer, Walker Project, Soulcraft, to name a few. Demo as many as you can before you buy.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X30. If you want a custom Soulcraft let me know :)
We have a 2012 X25 and the surf wake is very good now.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=47323

The center tab should never be at 100% (makes the wake short but longer). Put it at 30-55%, speed the boat up for sure and get more weight on the port side. You want to go 11-11.9mph and usually the speed on the dash reads faster than you're actually going and it's usually off at least 1mph. Put it at 12-12.5mph and you'll probably be going 11mph or a hair faster.

I have 1700-1800 in sacs under the port seats from back locker to long port seat. Port stock ballast full, stock KBG full, and I have another 400lbs in lead in the bow on the starboard side. Totaling about 2900lbs in added ballast plus how much in weight the people are in the boat. Usually only 3-4 people. Your swim deck seems to be effecting your wake quite a bit. I think it's the way the glass platforms are because ours doesn't do that nearly at all (teakwood). You can look into doing a smaller platform but I built one and it made it even worse.

If you want a Soulcraft board, Inland Surfer or Walker let me know. I have hooked up several people on this forum already with boards Shoot me a PM with your contact info and I can get you prices.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X-15
one thing that I wouldn't do is leave the rope in the water like that. When you are ready to go without it, throw it back in the boat. That's an accident waiting to happen.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:14 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC X25 '12
Agree with trig2275 about the rope. Know of a guy who tore flexor muscle in his forearm getting caught up in the rope.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:49 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft
Thanks for the tips so far folks...keep em' coming if you've got anything to share!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:15 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2010 X-15, 1990 Tri-Star & Soon 2013 X-30
The wake should def be bigger on a X25, I second the speed increase and I would for sure bring that attitude plate up. I am up in Madison if you are ever up this way shoot me a PM I would be happy to help tweak out the wake.

I have an X15 but I have set up several boats.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: xStar, 2008, LY6
Like other's have said, you need more weight. I run full port and KGB in my Xstar plus 1100# in port locker and 750# in compartment in front of spotter seat. People are spread evenly on port side. With the X* the pocket is fairly short but the wave is good. I use an Inland Surfer black pearl. It's short and quick handling which helps a lot when you have a short pocket. A short board helps keep you from stuffing the nose of the board into the leading edge of the trough. It's also a very fast board with low drag. I can surf wireless as long as I want no problem even in rough water.

You have a better surf boat with the x25. Keep loading it up and you'll have a great wave.