Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-22-2004, 11:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
What can I say, I'm a Hendrick fan.

Last edited by stevo137; 09-23-2004 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
Can NASCAR get any more inconsistent in their punishments? Robbie Gordon (MC owner that he is) tells his crew and all of the NASCAR officials who were listening that he was going to intentionally wreck someone, then goes ahead and does it, and they don't fine him, dock him any points, or put him on probation. They thought that Jimmy Spencer did the same thing the week before and they were going to park him for the rest of the race, until they decided that it was really an accident.

NASCAR needs a written policy defining what penalties will be assessed for each type of incident, and they need to be consistent in penalizing those who break those rules. If an incident occurs that isn't on their list and they penalize someone for it, then they should add it to the list so that the next time someone does the same thing they get the same penalty. As it is now, it's like the NFL penalizing a team 50 yards for being offsides, just because the other team is 3 points behind.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205, 275hp EFI -- Original Owner
Old 09-24-2004, 05:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
You have a good point Capt.
Here's one from the good old days. I got some decent shots from the pits at this race at MIS about 10-12 years ago. It was Petty's 20th aniversary if anyone knows the year, let me know. Richard had an injured foot from a crash and I remember watching him walk to his car on crutch's. A young Rusty W. and the late, great Dale E. were also in this race, I have a few more pics of them that I can post after I scan them.

Last edited by stevo137; 09-24-2004 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '95 Prostar 205 LT1
Robby Gordon and USHA!!

Robby Gordon drives and mastercraft and rides a Sky Ski!!! Take a look at the link!!
http://www.hydrofoil.org/
Old 09-24-2004, 08:03 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
More Robby Gordon Sky Ski photos

www.robbygordon.com/cgi-bin/Imagefolio31/imageFolio.cgi?direct=06_HAVING_FUN!!!/SkySki

Last edited by ski_king; 09-24-2004 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1979 Stars and Stripes
this is from and article i seen a few days ago in the birmingham news...
With this weekends race at Talladega, have any of you wondered just how fast these cars could go with out a restrictor plate? heres part of the article:

Published on June 11, 2004, Birmingham News (AL)

RUSTY HITS 228 WITHOUT THE PLATE

FAST 'DEGA RUN TESTS RADIO SYSTEM

NASCAR wanted to know the answer to a question race fans have been asking for years: How fast could an unrestricted Nextel Cup stock car go at Talladega Superspeedway?

The wondering is over. The answer is 228 mph.

Rusty Wallace, with the restrictor plate off his No. 2 Dodge, hit that speed powering down the backstretch on Wednesday afternoon. The average speed for his fast lap was 221 mph, well above the track record of 212.809 mph set by Bill Elliott 14 years ago before

Now i dont know about the rest of the fans out there, but i say if the cars can go that fast, let em run.....i think it would make for much better racing at Talladega & Daytona...but hey you know just my
Old 09-30-2004, 04:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Cool Exciting for sure! Dangerous you bet.

I agree it would be amazing to watch, however I think it would be way to risky for the drivers. If you asked Rusty if he wants them off now I would bet he would say hell no. Also I think the roof flaps become uneffective after 198 or so.

I want to see them go fast as much as anyone but I don't want to see anyone get hurt either. Hopefully one day the safety technology will catch up with the racing technology and we can experience those speeds much more safely.

Old 09-30-2004, 04:18 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgurley
...... Hopefully one day the safety technology will catch up with the racing technology and we can experience those speeds much more safely.
Do you remember a couple of years ago when CART had to cancel their open wheel race at Texas Motor Speedway. The drivers were coming close to blacking out during pratice. The combination of the CART speeds and the track layout let them go wide open the whole way around the track. The G forces were to high.
http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway...c/00000161.htm

Last edited by ski_king; 09-30-2004 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Cool Sure I remember that Slot

Yeah, I sure do they were pulling like 5g's or something wern't they. I don't know if nascar drivers would experience similar symptoms at Talledega w/o restrictor plates. Only because the track is so much larger than Texas at 2.66 miles compared to Texas' 1.5. Possibly the turns not being as sharp could help this problem. But you definitely don't want guys out there geting verdigo going 230mph inches away from 30 other 3,000lbs stock cars or IRL cars for that matter.

Those speeds would be exiting though.

Old 10-01-2004, 12:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1979 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgurley
I agree it would be amazing to watch, however I think it would be way to risky for the drivers. If you asked Rusty if he wants them off now I would bet he would say hell no. Also I think the roof flaps become uneffective after 198 or so.

I want to see them go fast as much as anyone but I don't want to see anyone get hurt either. Hopefully one day the safety technology will catch up with the racing technology and we can experience those speeds much more safely.
well all my life ive had a need for speed, got my first fourwheeler when i was 5 and ive been racin anything there is to race since then...My dream job is to be a Nascar racecar driver...now i know i havent been much over 100 mph only a few times in my life, but i think if i was racing and had the chance to go wide open thats what i'd want to do. seems like its one of those things that becomes a part of you, you either have it or you dont. sure saftey is a big issue, but its one of those things that you have to accept having a profession like this. would definately be exciting tho

Last edited by rem_p; 10-01-2004 at 12:44 AM.