Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #281  
Old 10-10-2006, 09:59 AM
trickskier's Avatar
trickskier trickskier is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Location: "THE GATOR NATION"
Posts: 10,154
This was the first Dega race I've missed in 10 years due to sinus surgery. Race was better than expected due to newly paved track. JR didn't want to push Vickes too far ahead because NASCAR would probably not allow him to race that car again figuring it was illegal. There were only 2 cars that could pass without any help the 8 & 24. They found something and still passed inspection.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #282  
Old 10-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Monte's Avatar
Monte Monte is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Boat: 1986 Tristar 220 351 pcm
Location: Guess
Posts: 7,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickskier
This was the first Dega race I've missed in 10 years due to sinus surgery. Race was better than expected due to newly paved track. JR didn't want to push Vickes too far ahead because NASCAR would probably not allow him to race that car again figuring it was illegal. There were only 2 cars that could pass without any help the 8 & 24. They found something and still passed inspection.
They got Tallent.. I think 3 told Jr. something. 24 learned by watching.. They... whoever they is.... say Sr. could see air on those tracks
Reply With Quote
  #283  
Old 10-10-2006, 10:45 AM
SkiDog's Avatar
SkiDog SkiDog is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 92 Prostar
Location: South of North
Posts: 7,231
Vickers better grow some eyes in the back of that head of his this weekend. Ya never know who's lurking in the bushes!
Reply With Quote
  #284  
Old 10-10-2006, 10:45 AM
RexDog1's Avatar
RexDog1 RexDog1 is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Boat: X2 2005
Location: Yorba Linda, Calf.
Posts: 3,606
I am not a big Nascar fan
Living down the street from John Force it is hard not to watch drag racing.
I am a race fan, and watched some of the race on Sunday about the last 50 laps
It was a good race, but I have some questions? How often does NASCAR change
The size of the Restrictor Plates?, I have built about 2 dozen engines in my life
So I think I know my way around a V8, I would think a last minute change would be
A big thing?
I do need to say, I see why JR. has the fan base that he has, he just got crashed out of a 3Hr+ race, when he was in first, he pulls off his helmet and a TV mike is in his face, and said “it was a racing deal” and congrats to Bryan who crashed him out??? ….Class act
I can see why NASCAR is so big it is good racing, I just don’t have 3+hrs to watch
I will keep an eye on the rest of the season; I think I am starting to hate the 48 car
He looks like a Yeti???
Oh one more question Toyota in NASCAR next year, what engine are that going to use? I thought it must be a “stock engine” well the block to start, do they have a
Push rod engine in their street cars/trucks?
__________________
I rather be waterboarding
Reply With Quote
  #285  
Old 10-10-2006, 11:08 AM
Monte's Avatar
Monte Monte is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Boat: 1986 Tristar 220 351 pcm
Location: Guess
Posts: 7,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDog1
I am not a big Nascar fan
Living down the street from John Force it is hard not to watch drag racing.
I am a race fan, and watched some of the race on Sunday about the last 50 laps
It was a good race, but I have some questions? How often does NASCAR change
The size of the Restrictor Plates?, I have built about 2 dozen engines in my life
So I think I know my way around a V8, I would think a last minute change would be
A big thing?
I do need to say, I see why JR. has the fan base that he has, he just got crashed out of a 3Hr+ race, when he was in first, he pulls off his helmet and a TV mike is in his face, and said “it was a racing deal” and congrats to Bryan who crashed him out??? ….Class act
I can see why NASCAR is so big it is good racing, I just don’t have 3+hrs to watch
I will keep an eye on the rest of the season; I think I am starting to hate the 48 car
He looks like a Yeti???
Oh one more question Toyota in NASCAR next year, what engine are that going to use? I thought it must be a “stock engine” well the block to start, do they have a
Push rod engine in their street cars/trucks?

Good to hear you're watching even though you're not a fan... The whole Jr. attitude is a good change from two years ago, and even a lot of last year. he has grown up a lot. Even though I have been a big 8 fan since he started his career he has had to get his head unstuck... But he is becoming a class act. As far as Restrictor plates are concered. they are only run at two tracks and four races during the year: Daytona and Talledega, there are rumors that Atlanta is going that way too. That is the most exciting racing you will see outside of Bristol..
As far as Yotastoy go, I have no idea what kind of engine they will run. I fear they will be a force to be reconed with in the beginning of the year because NASCAR will not have a solid way to hold them back as they do the other manufacturers.. (level playing field may be unlevel for a bit)
Reply With Quote
  #286  
Old 10-10-2006, 11:14 AM
TMCNo1 TMCNo1 is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Gone
Location: Gone
Posts: 22,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDog1
I am not a big Nascar fan
Living down the street from John Force it is hard not to watch drag racing.
I am a race fan, and watched some of the race on Sunday about the last 50 laps
It was a good race, but I have some questions? How often does NASCAR change
The size of the Restrictor Plates?, I have built about 2 dozen engines in my life
So I think I know my way around a V8, I would think a last minute change would be
A big thing?
I do need to say, I see why JR. has the fan base that he has, he just got crashed out of a 3Hr+ race, when he was in first, he pulls off his helmet and a TV mike is in his face, and said “it was a racing deal” and congrats to Bryan who crashed him out??? ….Class act
I can see why NASCAR is so big it is good racing, I just don’t have 3+hrs to watch
I will keep an eye on the rest of the season; I think I am starting to hate the 48 car
He looks like a Yeti???
Oh one more question Toyota in NASCAR next year, what engine are that going to use? I thought it must be a “stock engine” well the block to start, do they have a
Push rod engine in their street cars/trucks?
The restrictor plates changed by Nascar [1/64 smaller dia.] knocked of about 12 to 15 hp, resulting in slower speeds [10mph+-], better fuel milege and everyone suffered the same restrictions.
The engines are a modified version of a production engine with Nascar approved aftermarket and approved factory R&D parts. Much like the 2 door Ford Taurus [4dr], 2 door Dodge Magnum [4dr] and next years 2 door Toyota Camry [4dr] bodies which does not exist. The Chevrolet Monte Carlo is the only one of the four that is actually a 2 door. The front grills/hoods are somewhat different, along with the side windows, but the rear ends are all practically the same, all in the name of parity by the use of Nascar templates.
__________________
Charter Member Number 1

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.





Last edited by TMCNo1; 10-10-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old 10-10-2006, 11:31 AM
TMCNo1 TMCNo1 is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Gone
Location: Gone
Posts: 22,165
Jimmy Johnson flat SCREWED UP, by pulling out ahead of Vickers. If, he had stayed behind Jr. and let Vickers try to pass both he and Jr. would have gained needed points for the BIG PICTURE by finishing 1st and 2nd if Vickers had failed to pass them both, so in pulling out to pass Jr. and gain a couple points with Vickers help, then getting bumped, he lost gobs of points and cost Jr. gobs of points too.
Our newspaper racing reporter interviewed Rick Hendrick yesterday and he and his orginization is real upset with Jimmy Johnson for not considering the badly needed Nextel Cup Championship Points by staying behind Jr. and allowing Vickers to TRY by himself to pass both he and Jr. for the win.
__________________
Charter Member Number 1

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.




Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old 10-10-2006, 11:36 AM
trickskier's Avatar
trickskier trickskier is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Location: "THE GATOR NATION"
Posts: 10,154
Nascar

Rex,
I have been following NASCAR for over 40 years and have attended the Daytona 500 for 38 consecutive years......To answer a few of your questions. NASCAR changed the size of the restrictor plate Saturday morning by 1/64 of an inch. That reduced the horse power by about 12 to 15 HP's. This in turn slowed the cars about 10 MPH. NASCAR does not want the cars running over 200 MPH for fear that they will become airborne and fly into the stands. I was at Talladega when Bobby Allison almost did just that. It took them over 4 hours to repair the catch fence and one fan went to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. It was a REAL MESS.

With Talladega just being repaved it was smooth and VERY FAST. Speeds were near 200 MPH during practice, so NASCAR decided to put a smaller restrictor plate on before qualifying. The size of the restrictor plate has been the same for about 3 or 4 years now and will probably go back to the larger size when they return to Daytona in February.

As for the engines each mfg has it's own version of a block. They do not use stock blocks anymore. NASCAR has even stepped in and is making them all use the same bore & stroke in an effort to reduce costs. Dodge was experimenting with bore & stroke for different size tracks and NASCAR got wise. They are allowed to run 358 CU. IN. with 12.5 to 1 compression ratio.

The hardest thing Toyota had to adapt to was using a carburetor. They will be using the same engine in Nextel Cup that they have been using in the Truck Series.....Hope I answered your questions.

BTW......I am a FORCE Fan as well. Used to go to the GATOR NATIONALS every year. Loved his LONG burnouts!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #289  
Old 10-10-2006, 12:12 PM
LakePirate's Avatar
LakePirate LakePirate is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: Tristar 190, 1989 / Maristar 210 2002
Location: 80+ deep
Posts: 4,103
Send a message via MSN to LakePirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by monte72
That is the most exciting racing you will see outside of Bristol..

Interesting that you say that. We took a friend of ours from Bristol who has worked the race for years as a cooler checker / ticket taker to Talladega. He has only been to Bristol and is not really a big fan. We wanted to show him a different type of Racin. He loved it. When they came out of 4 though the Tri-Oval he almost had a heart attack. He was turned around in the seat of the car to talk about it all the way home. Not that Bristol is not exciting, but nothing beats
'Dega. FFRR...WFO.

#01, wow. Rick Hendrick really said that? Holy Cow.

JJ has to lead. He can't just ride.
__________________
It's Snowing in the UP
Reply With Quote
  #290  
Old 10-10-2006, 12:34 PM
TMCNo1 TMCNo1 is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Gone
Location: Gone
Posts: 22,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakePirate
Interesting that you say that. We took a friend of ours from Bristol who has worked the race for years as a cooler checker / ticket taker to Talladega. He has only been to Bristol and is not really a big fan. We wanted to show him a different type of Racin. He loved it. When they came out of 4 though the Tri-Oval he almost had a heart attack. He was turned around in the seat of the car to talk about it all the way home. Not that Bristol is not exciting, but nothing beats
'Dega. FFRR...WFO.

#01, wow. Rick Hendrick really said that? Holy Cow.

JJ has to lead. He can't just ride.


"The Big Picture" being the Championship for Jimmie Johnson, "Victory Lane" and "Wrecking or Getting Wrecked" are little pictures and the BOSS [Rick Hendrick] got the wrong picture of the three, since Vickers is leaving for Toyota, not in the Chase and it was a win for Vickers under a cloud of controversy. Even with that said Rick Hendrick was more pleased with the win by Vickers than Jimmie Johnsons lack of points gained.
__________________
Charter Member Number 1

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.




Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:02 AM.