Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-08-2006, 09:33 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakePirate
......Can NBC's coverage get any worse? .....
Did you catch the IRL 2 weeks ago on ABC?
No, you couldn;t have. ABC covered 3 hours of rain delay, the wnet to the nightly news 30 seconds before the green flag dropped. The didn't even pass the coverage over to any of the ESPN stations, well at least until midnight.

But then, nobody probobly noticed as nobody watchs IRL anyway.......

Well maybe Gene does.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Tristar 190, 1989 / Maristar 210 2002
Send a message via MSN to LakePirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_king
Did you catch the IRL 2 weeks ago on ABC?
No, you couldn;t have. ABC covered 3 hours of rain delay, the wnet to the nightly news 30 seconds before the green flag dropped. The didn't even pass the coverage over to any of the ESPN stations, well at least until midnight.

Well maybe Gene does.
Didn't see that but at least they have Rusty.

Tight = Oversteer (I think)
Old 08-09-2006, 01:44 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_king
I'm getting more into IRL these days after going to a few recent IRL races in Richmond and watching the Indy 500s. NASCAR has safed itself down to the point where it's getting boring - pit road speed limits, no racing to the line after the caution comes out, restrictor plates, no bump drafting, no passing below the yellow line, cautions every 5 laps for whatever reason (like for a hot dog wrapper ("debris") on the track). The Indy guys have much the same rules, but at least their cars are fast. The danger and bumpin' and grindin' of the old days is what set NASCAR apart in the old days IMO.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 08-09-2006, 04:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: "81" 351 Power Slot, Blue on Blue
{Yeah, I rarely watch anymore. Maybe the last 50 laps if I happen to be at home and the TV's on.}

I'll agree that if your driver is not doin well it can be a let down but there is so much else goin on. Lot of things to see before the race and you'll not see anything more exciting than the start of the Indy 500 or the Brickyard "live". One thing I noticed that sort of surprised me at the Brickyard was outside the track there are all the semi trailer stands of each of the drivers shirts, hats and that sort of stuff for sale. The one with the longest lines was Dale Earnhardts trailer. He has taken on an Elvis stature in nascar!
Old 08-09-2006, 04:45 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I have a goal to attend the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400 next year and have a pit pass for both.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: "81" 351 Power Slot, Blue on Blue
[I have a goal to attend the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400 next year and have a pit pass for both.]

You know somebody I hope!
Old 08-22-2006, 11:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200vrs X2
Anyone else going to Bristol this weekend?

We pull out in the morning!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 11:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Supra Comp
First Race

Hi guys, well I plan on attending my first Nascar race next spring in
Las Vegus. Some people have told me its better to see on tv. Is this true. I dont want to fly down there and be disapointed. I think it would be a blast to be down there for a few days watching the activities. I bet Bristal would be cool to see in a staduim like setting, but a super-speedway is exciting as well I bet. Go Waltrip.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:26 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Tristar 190, 1989 / Maristar 210 2002
Send a message via MSN to LakePirate
Thought I would dust this thread off since we have taken over the Drinking Thread.

Did you guys see/hear the discussion JR had with NASCAR about bump drafting the way it used to be? JR was a lap down and had Vickers on his front bumper and didn't let him go in the turns and they jumper out to about a 20 car length lead. This reminded me of the 'Dega race a couple of years ago when Ward Burton had the 22 Cat Dodge on the back of Jrs car and kept it there all the way around the track and they were making gains on the pack with a 2 car draft. Problem is that 85% of the people out there don't know how to draft properly, either in the front or the back.

Jr said if he could have kept Vickers on the front (not because he couldn't do it, but NASCAR might not approve) that they could have broken away from the field by 100 car lengths.

I wonder if this race, with all the green flag stops, will end the small fuel cell deal. It did absolutely nothing to break up the field. 3 laps after green flag stops everybody was back together.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:53 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1986 Tristar 220 351 pcm
I'm pretty glad they didn't Jr. didn't push him out too far (hindsight) after seeing the talent (or lack there of) of BV. One slip... Jr. would be out by himself... And the field could have blown by him.. Maybe with JJ or DJ (well most of the old schoolers) anybody but MM (just not a rp racer).. I think the limits on bump drafting (softer bumpers front and rear and the watchful eye of NASCAR) have eliminated the need for smaller fuel cells. I hate seeing wins on fuel mileage even if it is Jr. (though not as much) Just takes the driver out of it..