Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 07-29-2011, 10:33 AM
jeffrow68

Yellow Power Wire Not Holding 12 Volts???

I installed a new Kenwood receiver in my 2005 X-30. It operated OK for about 3 months and then started randomly turning off. It finally went off and did not come back on. I bench tested the unit and it worked fine. From there I checked the red and yellow power wires, each had 12V without anything connected. When I connected the wires to the unit, the yellow wire would drop voltage to about 1-2V, not enough to turn the unit on.

What causes this and where does the yellow wire come from? Possibly a bad connection? I cannot seem to locate the source of this wire. Thanks for any help, Jeff
Old 07-29-2011, 03:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
the yellow wire is 12v directly from battery or some kind of bus bar, its its not able to carry the current it could shut off, you could just run a whole new wire to your radio, heres a pic of a typical kenwood setup
Attached Images

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 07-29-2011, 04:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
The yellow wire is for clock/memory power and should be very low amperage. The unit gets it's working power from the red lead.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:31 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
^ either way it should not have a voltage drop on the y wire.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 08-01-2011, 12:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190
I had a similar situation on a Sony head unit I installed over the winter. On that unit the yellow wire carried the main load from the battery (including memory and clock) and the red was just a signal to turn on - yellow wire was heavier gauge. I wired directly to the battery and installed a fuse in line close to battery. Works fine.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:10 AM
jeffrow68

Thanks for the info on this issue. My situation is similar to Starshak, where the yellow wire is a heavy gauge wire that supplies continuous power, and the red wire is smaller gauge that signals on/off. I did run an alternate yellow wire from a continuous lead from the accessory panel that solved the problem. I would have liked to find where the yellow wire originates so I could troubleshoot and replace this wire, but I could not. Thanks, Jeff