Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2011, 11:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1992, 351 Ford
collinite insulator wax

Anybody used collinite insulator wax on their boat? It was recommended to me and I have no knowledge of it. I did an internet search and can find it but just wondered if it is worth the trouble.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 PS197
Yep, use it every year on the boat , and previous boats , for more than 25 years. It was originally recommended by a friend who was an extremely zealous fan of the product. Holds up extremely well, nice shine. Before applying I use vinegar and water to clean the boat, or some years the Zing hull cleaner. Super durable stuff. I used to use it on my cars but I got lazy there and moved to NuFinish because it wipes off quick. The family trucksters just aren't as critical as the boat.

I can go the entire Midwest season on one coat. Disclaimers: spots get tougher later in the year, the boat lives under lift canopy w/cover, on spring fed lake.

It has gotten harder to find over past few years but shouldnt be all that expensive, is it? My pop bought 8 bottles a few years ago and we are still working thru them.

Last edited by 3event; 07-20-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:00 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1992, 351 Ford
Price isn't bad compared to other waxes. Looks like I will have to order it online---Haven't found it locally.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
Collonite is an extremely good wax!! I have never seen it in stores around here. I get it from a local distributer for detailing shop products.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '08 X-1
On the this topic...has anyone ever used Woodys Wax? If so what are your opinions?
Old 07-21-2011, 01:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Someone just told me the other day to use Collonite 845 on my Avalanche to keep it nice. How about that timing? He said he has been using it on his Avalanche for 4 years and I must say, it does look great!

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-21-2011, 01:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 XStar Salt Water Version
I use woody wax on the aluminum tower structure on my 2007 xstarss...easy to apply and provides a nice shine and corrosion proctection...I don't use it on the fiberglass
Old 07-21-2011, 03:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
I am 99% certain that the 845 Insulator Wax is the same stuff as the 925 Fiberglass Boat Wax. Collinite is awesome- due to its ease of application and durability, Im using it on everything- boats and cars.

Ive found that you can get it on ebay with free shipping for very cheap. If you need to stick local, Ive found it at NAPA.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 S&S
I have tired both the Fiberglass Boat wax and the Insulator Wax. I really like the Insulator Wax. I thought the Insulator Wax released the green mung on the bottom better. Plus I can buy it at an auto parts store for less than half the price of the Fiberglass stuff.

I use the Insulator Wax on my cars as well. That is the only wax I have used that survived all the way through the winter well into spring and continued to bead water. All winter long people would ask me how I keep my car so clean. I really didn't do anything special other than spray it off at the do-it-yourself maybe once a week and hand wash as the weather would permit.