Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2011, 06:56 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 07 MC X1
Speed Control

Already starting to get the bug for the 2011 season and wanting to upgrade from MC Cruise to PP StarGazer or Zero Off (this is for a 07 X1). Did a search on TT and seems that folks are happy with either one. PP is less expensive for mine and I hear nothing but good things about their CS. Would there be any reason to pay more $ and get the ZO?

I know this has been discussed before but I thought I'd ask for a update from users of the GPS based system on rivers. 50% of the time I'm on a river with a reasonable current, will I hate trying to get the speed right and wish I'd stayed with the paddle wheel?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:07 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I don't think you can make Zero Off work on an 07 (possible you could do some serious reworking of the system, but I don't think it'll work out of the box). SG is a great system. If you have a paddle wheel on your boat and you get SG, order the system from Perfect Pass and tell them (or your dealer if they do it for you) that you want the latest incarnation of SG with the river option. They do not advertise this option, but it basically allows you to utilize the paddle wheel for speed when you are dealing with a river current or turn it off when you want pure gps.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:20 PM
TT Regular

This is the exact reason why I like TT so much! Thanks east tx skier.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X1 2006 310HP
I had conisdered upgrading but so far the MC cruise has worked well enough I've used that budget for wake boards, wake ski's and more ballast.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:08 AM
TT Regular

The MC Cruise does work pretty well. The problem I run in to is when my wife or friends who are not very experienced with driving pull me they blast through the speed and fumble around a bit getting cruise to pull the speed back. I had PP on other boats and it would pick up the speed early and take it from there. Needless to say the wife and I had a few words over this last summer
Old 02-16-2011, 01:05 PM
TT Regular

I did a search on WakeWorld and a couple people complained about PP SG being slow to stabilize on the target speed. I find that difficult to believe otherwise the system would be useless on a slalom course.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHT View Post
I did a search on WakeWorld and a couple people complained about PP SG being slow to stabilize on the target speed. I find that difficult to believe otherwise the system would be useless on a slalom course.
Questions that should be asked on this issue is whether the system is mechanical or drive by wire and, if mechanical, what version of SG they are running. The original incarnation of SG for boats with a mechanical throttle was a little slow to lock in. With the current update (the 2008 update), the system settles in nicely. That said, you still have to aim for your speed, set point, whether you you have a mechanical or digital throttle control system. The driver can't push the throttle 3/4--full and expect the system to immediately adjust.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHT View Post
I do not have this issue. I've been very happy with SG. ETS is right, you can't just burry the throttle.

If anybody here has ordered the paddle wheel software update, please share your experience. I'm considering it.

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 02-16-2011, 02:20 PM
MC Hero

It was described to me by someone at PP as being a complete paddle wheel based system. So if you have ever used WB pro, it's like that.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 02-16-2011, 02:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
yup yup, was just curious what was involved. it's just a software flash with a thumb drive isn't it or does it require a whole new master module? i emailed PP to find out. it would be nice to have the option, but i can't see spending a ton of money on it.

2003 X-2 MCX

Last edited by brucemac; 02-16-2011 at 02:24 PM.