Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-10-2011, 08:41 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1992, 351 Ford
Ramp must be an idiot magnet

This was a new one to me. Two jets skis sitting in the ramp with their riders sitting in the water next to them---chillin. I have seen boats linger at the ramp for a thousand different reason but the jets skis just chillin is a new one. If they had only sat in the water for a few minutes I would have figure they was adding yellow to the river. They were there for the five minutes it takes me to drive the boat on the trailer and the twenty minutes it takes for me to store everything while parked at the parking area. One Boston whaler dragging their tube and doing half mile loops past the same boat ramp. I just shook my head and loaded in the next ramp. Thank God for years of practice because there is always an idiot challenge there. Had a great day on the river but always the ramp challenge,lol. I actually think I look forward to the newest ramp adventure. Which should be later this evening.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Own a 78 MC S&S
Launch

No doubt.

While waiting to get out last night, I watched 5 people in a row (in front of me) pull up to the ramp, then take the supplies from the truck, put them in the boat, get the boat ready, move the life jackets to the boat, struggle starting the boat, mass confusion and each one took at least 20 minutes - 30 minutes to launch.

I expect that you would be ready to go drop the boat and out in 5 minutes. (or am I asking too much?) Seems quite simple to me. Took us 2 minutes to drop it and 5 minutes to take it out... (had to strap it up)...

cj
Old 07-10-2011, 12:14 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Once the fourth of July weekend has passed, the lake traffic around here eases until Labor Day. I couldn't be happier about that fact.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
If we have to stand in line for the launch ramp, the boat is in the water and the truck is pulling out about 30 seconds after a slot opens up. Ya got nuthin better to do, you might as well get everything and everyone ready.

If we don't have to stand in line, it's closer to 5 minutes. Send the kids to the bathroom, move the coolers, undo the straps, get everyone in, etc.

Getting out is even faster. I back up the trailer, the wife puts it on, I hook up the winch and tighten'er up, and we pull away to the parking lot to undo the carnage. No sense in taking up a slot at the ramp to do everything else. Of course, it helps that Saguaro Lake has a very nice parking lot a minute away from the ramp that's 500 feet above and overlooks the lake. A remarkably nice place to wipe down, watch the lightning, and unwind. And, it's normally empty except perhaps for the occasional parked car with two people inside "watching the lake".

/frank
Old 07-10-2011, 12:21 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
We routinely have morons who pull up about 10 yards out of the water and proceed to unload and wipe down. My wife has threaded the needle with our trailer around them on one occasion to make a point. But the just sat there and nervously drooled and scratched their heads. I'm reminded that you can't fix stupid.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 PS 209
i concur.....load the boat at home or in the parking lot.....dunk the trailer and go.....my blood pressure usually rises at the ramp due to other folks putting all the crap in the boat while hogging both lanes of a 2 hole ramp....

im all worked up just typing about it....need a drink...
Old 07-10-2011, 06:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mc,ps190,93,351
I agree with all of the above....I need a drink after reading this
Old 07-10-2011, 07:00 PM

Boat: 06 X30
The one the makes me the most angry is the guy that stops 10 feet out of the water when there is 1/2 mile of parking lot and don't back down the ramp until you are ready to launch!!

And, teach your wife to drive the damn truck or the boat, either one I don't care which!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:53 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
We switched to a ramp 5 miles south (down river) from our old ramp because it was too crowded on weekends with idiots. That and the ramp at dead low tide is unusable with a severe drop-off.....like the kind that will brake your trailer axle.

My point is sometimes you're better off driving a little extra to find a ramp that is less busy.

(Someday the boat will be at my dock behind my future lakefront home)
Old 07-10-2011, 09:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
And, teach your wife to drive the damn truck or the boat, either one I don't care which!
I can't agree with you more. It took me a while to learn to stand quietly next to the truck waiting for my wife to pull the boat on the trailer, and not try to "help" her with hand signals or voice, but once I learned she got a lot better.