Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft X-Star, LTR 330hp
Question 2002 X-star Ballast Setup-Opinions Please

I recently purchased an 02 X-star. Love it so far! I did however purchase it knowing it needed a few things fixed... First of all the two pumps to the rear ballast do not work. (After a little research I discovered this was common in this year boat b/c MC installed a few of the pumps upside down, thus causing the motor to burn up in them) The pump to the center ballast doesn't seem to work to well and the bag it goes to seems worn and leaky. (It's the yellow factory bag) I would classify myself as an intermediate rider who likes to ride with a little ballast but wants room to grow. I borrowed some fat sacs from a friend a 250lb in each rear locker and a 750lb I put in the center and fill about half full using a Tsunami pump. I am wanting to get my pumps fixed soon cause the whole filling process is rather annoying when I could just flip a switch and have it done...I am considering changing up the ballast...A friend suggested I take the hard tanks out of the back and install Fly High fat sacs in the back?

Can anyone tell me the optimal ballast set up for this boat?? Also a few more questions...

1) What is a good brand of ballast pumps to replace the factory ones with?
2) What is a good brand/size replacement for the sac that goes in the ski locker?
3) Leave the hard tanks in or take them out? Pros/cons??
4) If i take the hard tanks out what size sacs do I need to get?

Any help, suggestions, or opinions will be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-13-2011, 01:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, LTR
Howdy. Nice boat ya got there ... got pics?

Anyhow, I recently upgraded my ballast to a 750lb Fly High bag in each locker, kept the factory KGB (which is still in really good shape), and added a Fly High 650lb [max] Integrated Bow Sac (IBS) under the front seats. I also replaced my port ballast pump as I think it became a victim of being mounted "upside down". So, to answer your questions...

1. I bought a new Jabsco Ballast Puppy to replace the port pump which was weak. I swung the pump head around 180 degrees so I could mount the new pump unit pump-head down though, which should keep it dry and make it live longer.

2. The 750lb bags in the rear lockers fit well. You don't have to fill them all the way for wakeboarding if you don't want, but you have the option to for surfing. Pretty flexible setup.

3. Take them out. The 750s won't fit with the hard tanks in, and you gain a bunch of storage space by taking the hard tanks out (when the 750s are empty, at least). Also, the plumbing is a bit simpler on a single bag, rather than a tank/bag combo.

4. See above

Also, you'll want to upgrade the impellers in all your [Jabsco] ballast pumps to the green ones. In fact, that could be the reason your KGB and starboard ballast aren't filling/draining well.

Take a look at www.wakemakers.com for all the gear you're looking for. Check out their "tankbuster" kit for the rear lockers - comes with all the parts you need, and you get a good selection of bag sizes. I found their service beyond excellent. Give them a call, I'm sure they'll set you up with exactly what you're looking for... including something that will fit in the factory KGB location.

Hope this helps...
Old 07-13-2011, 01:42 AM
TT Newbie

G-star, awesome!!! Thanks for all the great info, I will def. be looking into that!

Last edited by Frazby010; 07-13-2011 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:47 AM
TT Newbie

[IMG]

I need to take some more, but here is the best one I got. Taken the day I got her. She is in excellent shape, her previous owner took really good care of her...only had about 450 hours on her when I bought her. (This past May)

Last edited by Frazby010; 07-13-2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
I'm running nearly the same setup as G-star, slightly smaller bags in the rear and I normally put an extra 350 lb sack in the floor as far to the front as possible.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 07-13-2011, 01:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
With the 750s full, the integrated bow sack and kgb just aren't enough up front. I run with two 350lb sacs up front. One in the walkway and another on top across the bow seats.

G-star, when you flipped the pump around, did you just reverse the wiring at the switch?
Old 07-13-2011, 01:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X-Star, 2002, 5.7L TBI EFI GM/Indmar V-8
Has anyone tried the Johnson pumps? They appear to be direct replacement option for the Jabsco pumps and have a higher flow rate.

Frazby010 that is a beautiful boat! I have a yellow one (same year & model) that I brought about a year ago that needs a lot of work including 3 new ballast pumps but I love the boat.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
wrobins - I have that boat except mine is solid yellow, no white on the bottom or deck.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 07-13-2011, 02:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
With the 750s full, the integrated bow sack and kgb just aren't enough up front. I run with two 350lb sacs up front. One in the walkway and another on top across the bow seats.

G-star, when you flipped the pump around, did you just reverse the wiring at the switch?
No, I turned the pump upside down, and unscrewed the brass pump head from the motor turned the pump head 180 degrees and put the screws back in. This avoids any changes to wiring.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrobins1 View Post
Has anyone tried the Johnson pumps? They appear to be direct replacement option for the Jabsco pumps and have a higher flow rate.

Frazby010 that is a beautiful boat! I have a yellow one (same year & model) that I brought about a year ago that needs a lot of work including 3 new ballast pumps but I love the boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76S&S View Post
wrobins - I have that boat except mine is solid yellow, no white on the bottom or deck.
Wow... lots of yellow '02 X-Stars. Here's mine...

Tags
02 x-star, 2002 x-star, ballast, ballast setup