Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-31-2011, 01:32 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 6.0 L
Also now that I feel more comfortable that the vibration disappears with higher rpm, I am goping to run it a little harder to test engine performance.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:56 PM
TT Regular

wouldn't be a bad idea to poke around with a mechanic's stethoscope and see if you can't pinpoint the source of the noise. Could it possibly be detonation, lugging, gremlins in the bottom end, etc. that only appear under load and are transferring crankshaft/bottom end vibrations out to the transmission/bellhousing and making it sound like the transmission? Have you noticed any deterioration in performance? Holeshot, top speed, etc.?

Haven't used a stethoscope before. I'll see if I can rent or borrow. Have not used before but will try if I can find one . One note, barely in gear is not much load and it at least seems to go away at higher speed/load. As far as performance, it feels like it could be barely weak (and I do mean barely weak as I was pulling good times for slalom with perfect pass at 34 mph on Sunday. ) I did pull plugs all looked good. I went ahead and switched them around in case it was one, maybe I would get slightly different symptom by moving it around. But I did not notice in the above mentioned slalom set.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:15 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
You can get a mechanic's stethoscope at an auto parts store for $10.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:43 PM
TT Regular

thanks on the stethoscope
Old 08-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Mcfoiler

99 X Star 330 HP Inmar

My trans has made a chattering sound at low idol since it was almost new and I was told that was because it has straight cut gears....Could this be true or is it the plate?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 99 Mastercraft Prostar 205 VRS
Woodrow, did you ever find a solution??

I have a 99 Prostar 205 V that sounds just like you describe. I just bought it and the seller told me the noise was normal and has done it since they owned it in 04. I want to make sure that is true though.

Mcfoiler, my boat is basically the same as your Xstar (99, 330HP, V-drive). Did you figure anything out?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:58 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft X-14 350 mcx
Had noises like these in the Hurth trannys before. Actually complained enough to have dealer pull and replace only to have the same thing in the next one after 100 hrs. For what it's worth i had an noise issue with the old Borg Warner tranny in a 1988 boat. when i contacted an engineer at the factory he told me" look, dont get hung up so much about rattle noises just run it". he was right even after 800 hrs...BTW I still listen to everything though.....(Rattle freak)
Old 04-25-2012, 06:59 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft X-14 350 mcx
Sorry but one more thing to add.... Had 5 Malibu's until the 2008 X 14......whew.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:29 PM
TT Regular

Boat: x-star
I have a 99 x-star with the hurth tranny also. The sound of rocks in there is normal. Its the lash cut in the gears, you can dampen them by using 20-50 motor oil and there are all kinds of post about this, it works great. I just had to pull my tranny two seasons again and I have a suggestion which worked great. Do as much work as you can yourself just short of pulling the prop shaft. I didnt have a prop shaft puller but did everything else. Then took it to my dealer had them pull the shaft and the tranny bench test it and put it back in the boat. I hooked up all the linkage myself. Point being I think i paid 200.00 dollars puts gaskets which saved me around a grand. Two months later I had a problem So i took it back for there warranty to cover Which they did . just a long winded thought.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Just for grins, go check your prop to make sure the retention nut is on there good and tight. I had a nylock nut back off once and it would rattle like crazy in reverse and idle, but go away at speed. Prop was loose and, when at speed, would push up on the taper. Now, I know you don't have a tapered/keyed prop, but it's easy enough to check to be sure.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.