Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-29-2011, 03:59 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 6.0 L
update

1.New flex plate was installed. Did not fix.
2. Transmission pulled and sent to Palmer Power of Houston and tested (they run it but can't put but a very light load on it). They say the transmission is fine and that something is causing torsionals in the shaft that is making the transmission have noise. I don't know I am confident in their assessment but there is no sign of metal shavings or wear in the transmission and I have to agree on that much. I am not saying I dispute them, I just don't know.
3. Yesterday I confirmed that prop was going on the shaft all the way and that the key is not holding it back. (plus two props have been on, one is new but the other has been proven in the past not to have problems.) Surely one of these would have gone on correctly.
4. Now, (after I re-instal tranny) I am going to really look at alignment, packing, and harder look at strut bearing. Hard to believe those could make the sound I am hearing.

Any other ideas? I have had a bad plug before in this boat and it gave a vibration but nothing like a grinding noise. I am not sure what all on engine could cause torsionals. Engine seems strong and gets up to 40 with ease where I held it back. I feel confident it would go full speed.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:04 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I'm no expert on this, but I would look hard at that strut bushing.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 07-29-2011, 04:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1992, 351 Ford
+1,I would look at the strut bearing also. I have never replaced one but like everything mechanical---one day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
I'm no expert on this, but I would look hard at that strut bushing.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:47 AM
TT Regular

Update 7-31. Still problems. I got the transmission back after the shop tested and said all was well. But I am getting slowly smarter. I meant to see if the noise was there after disconnecting the coupling as I was in the process of pulling the transmission off and forgot. This time I installed the transmission on the engine. Before connecting the coupling, I dropped it in the water and the noise is there. None of the drive shaft is attached. Packing, shaft, strut are all eliminated.

The problem can only be in the engine or transmission. The noise is still only in gear. I felt around and can feel a slight bumping/tapping in the lower half of the bell housing. I was previously wondering if the noise was going away or being drowned out at higher speed. I did confirm that I no longer feel the vibration in the bell housing when I speed the engine up.
I was sure hoping it would be gone and I would be looking at the shaft and propellar components.
I am lost now.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:49 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
I didn't read the whole thread, did you inspect the dampner plate?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190
Erk, he already replaced it.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, LTR
Just a couple thoughts...

So, you've eliminated the shaft/packing/log/strut, and the shop test has basically eliminated the transmission, and you've replaced the damper plate, and you still have the noise. I can understand your confusion.

You've basically eliminated everything behind the flywheel, but you still only get the noise when in gear. And everything in front of the flywheel is more or less mechanically doing the same thing whether in gear or not. This is weird.

I still think it wouldn't be a bad idea to poke around with a mechanic's stethoscope and see if you can't pinpoint the source of the noise. Could it possibly be detonation, lugging, gremlins in the bottom end, etc. that only appear under load and are transferring crankshaft/bottom end vibrations out to the transmission/bellhousing and making it sound like the transmission? Have you noticed any deterioration in performance? Holeshot, top speed, etc.?

Last edited by G-Star; 07-31-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Derp.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:52 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Thinking out loud..................how about a problem with an engine or transmission mounting point?

Tandem Axle Trailer Special
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 07-31-2011, 01:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205 LT1
I found this service advisory, from Indmar:

ftp://ftp2.indmar.us/Service%20Advis...ns%20Noise.pdf

There may be nothing wrong.

We have received a number of complaints regarding rattling or noisy ZF/Hurth reduction gears
(V-drive or in-line). The noise is most pronounced at idle RPM and typically goes away when the
engine RPM is raised above idle. Although the noise can be irritating, this is a normal condition
with these transmissions that in no way affects the durability or reliability of the unit.

In an effort to reduce the gear rattle noise at low RPM; the transmission manufacturer has
suggested that we change from the current Dexron 3 transmission fluid that we use in the
transmission to 15W40 motor oil.

I also have a Hurth transmission in my boat. 98 PS 205. I feel lucky. It works great... no noises, other than the reverse gear whine, which is "normal." It doesn't seem right that you would ever put motor oil in a transmission. But I guess, that is what they recommend... if you have this "problem."

Good luck. It is frustrating working on boats sometimes. This advisory came out in Nov 2001. Your boat is an 02. So... This advisory could be applicable...

Last edited by The8Ball; 07-31-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:30 PM
TT Regular

I am aware of the bulletin. This noise is well beyond the transmission noise the bulletin speaks of. And I am using 15-40 instead of transmission fluid.

When feeling for vibration, I did put my hands on the rear mounts and felt nothing. I only detected on the bell housing which is in front of the gearing. I also felt nothing on the rear of the engine.
I am about to go out and check for any other points of vibration, visually inspect motor mounts, look at plugs (maybe pick up a misfire). Feel front end of engine, see if I detect anything up there.