Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-21-2011, 12:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 6.0 L
Pulled starter, no signs of problems. Went ahead and pulled transmission to get to damper plate. It looks fine. No signs of shavings or pieces in the bell housings.
I think I can get the transmissipon on a test stand other side of Houston.
Not sure about pulling transmission apart. Wasn't sure if that part was a joke. I realize the looking for rocks was. Any other ideas? Pulling transmission apart may be above my expertise and I have heard buying parts for ZF Hurth transmissions is just about impossible.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:37 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Sounds like a test stand would be a good option here.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 07-21-2011, 12:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 03 x-star
Your damper plate may not be totally broken. But it will make noise when the springs are loose and rattling in the damper. Mine didn't look bad when I took it out but it did rattle when in gear.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2011, 01:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewvette View Post
Your damper plate may not be totally broken. But it will make noise when the springs are loose and rattling in the damper. Mine didn't look bad when I took it out but it did rattle when in gear.
Wow. That new one looks pretty beefy. What is it?
Old 07-21-2011, 01:03 PM
TT Regular

Interesting. Did you find or do anything that lead you to believe this would fix it or just install and hope? I am thinking it will take me a good 4 hrs to install. The plate has been ordered and should be here any day.
But the test stand is an hour away so there and back twice is 4 hrs as well.
Also I noticed on your old damper picture and my damper there seems to be a couple of springs that appear to have wear or rub marks on them. Thats seems odd to me. Yours are at 12:00, 1: 00, and 3:00. Have a clue what that is about? There should not be anything there to rub
Old 07-21-2011, 01:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 Sanger DXII L96
Question for you guys. Would this condition also result in a lower wide open throttle engine rpm/reduced top speed?
Old 07-21-2011, 01:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft Skier
My transmission sounds like that too. I have been meaning to get it taken care of but havnt yet. It is on my list for the fall. I suppose I better order one and have it for when I need it.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:28 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckguy View Post
Question for you guys. Would this condition also result in a lower wide open throttle engine rpm/reduced top speed?
The possible change in speed/rpm would occur if the pressure plate was slipping. Result would be higher rpm and lower speed - being more pronounced at higher rpm.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 07-21-2011, 01:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 03 x-star
Ya the new damper plate I put in was an R & D. I got it from PYI www.pyiinc.com. The guy there was real helpful on getting the correct one. It is fail safe so even if it does break you can still drive the boat. I thought that the noise was from it by doing alot of research from this forum and talking with some people. When I had mine out the springs were slightly loose. They could be spun by hand easily. I would spend the time and try replacing it. Its alot cheaper than a trans rebuild and you should replace the damper plate while you have the trans out anyway.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2011, 11:04 AM
TT Regular

My boat work had to wait a bit. Other issues came up such as truck breaking down. I have replaced the flex plate (which did not appear to be damaged, there were two springs I could roll about 1/4".) The transmission is amost installed. Just hoses, shift cable, whatever wiring was disconnected, and I will finish and test run today.
I am not optimistic though. When I pulled the transmission, I spun the shaft and things felt/sounded ok. I did not think to spin the back end (duh) as I hav been working hurriedly. But upon reconecting the coupling and rolling the shaft for bolt access, I think I am getting a grinding feeling out of the hub end of the tranny. I found one bolt loose on the transmission mount bracket but it was only one that acts like a set screw on the round shaft and keeps the bracket from rotating and/or or sliding in and out. With transmission bolted on and 4 bolts on the bracket, I do not think that was part of my problem.

I did neglect to note/record which hose goes to which position on the transmission.
For 2002 6.0L with Hurth transmission, anyone happen to know which hose goes to which. Both hoses go to left bank of engine ( one more forward than the other) and then to the rear of the transmission ( one connection slightly in front of the other.) I think I can figure it out but this would speed it up.
I think it is oil going to and from the oil cooler so it probably does not even matter (or barely makes a difference flow versus ). I'll still try to do it right though.