Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2011, 01:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, LTR
Question Towable Cover for 205V X-Star w/ Zero Flex Flyer

Team,

I'll preface this post by saying I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of the "towable" cover idea, but I can't think of a better way to keep the inside of my boat clean and dry when I have to tow 650km in bad weather at highway speeds. I'm interested in any experiences you guys have had with towable covers.

Now then, I've been trying to track down a towable cover for my '02 X-Star, and I'm having some trouble... It would appear that the well-known manufacturers of quality towable covers don't have a pattern for the 205V hull with a zero flex flyer tower.

I'm wondering if there is anybody in the Seattle, WA area with the same hull/tower as me that is also looking for a towable cover? If so, would you be willing to have your boat be the victim of some measuring and test fitting so a cover pattern can be developed?

Alternatively, has anybody had luck sourcing a towable cover for this hull/tower from elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:26 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Given the location mentioned, I'll assume you're talking to Brent at Coversports. You won't be disappointed if that's the case.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Brand new 01 X10
Subscribed!

I just pulled my boat open for 1200 miles through dirt roads, rainstorms on highways, and an enormous dust storm in AZ. I cant do it anymore. The cleanup job was 6 hours and it will never be the same.......

You know those heat shrink covers that manufacturers use from the factory to dealers? Can we buy those?
Old 07-10-2011, 01:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
You know those heat shrink covers that manufacturers use from the factory to dealers? Can we buy those?
Yes, I know that a few of the marine shops around here do it as part of the winerization, or as a sand alone service.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
Given the location mentioned, I'll assume you're talking to Brent at Coversports. You won't be disappointed if that's the case.
Thanks. In that case, I look forward to not being disappointed.

I'm still a little worried about the cover rubbing the gel at highway speeds and causing damage, either minor or serious. How many miles do you have on yours at highway speeds?
Old 07-10-2011, 02:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
Subscribed!

I just pulled my boat open for 1200 miles through dirt roads, rainstorms on highways, and an enormous dust storm in AZ. I cant do it anymore. The cleanup job was 6 hours and it will never be the same.......

I'm with ya. I towed from California to BC in a pretty bad rain storm last September when I picked up my boat. I spent the next day cleaning the road grime, and vacuuming the water out of the interior.

I like the heat shrink idea... but I'd guess the cost is $100+ each time. You don't have to go through many covers before you're at the price of a Pro Cover or Evolution Cover.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:12 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Star View Post
Thanks. In that case, I look forward to not being disappointed.

I'm still a little worried about the cover rubbing the gel at highway speeds and causing damage, either minor or serious. How many miles do you have on yours at highway speeds?
My policy is to not tow on the highway unless weather dictates otherwise. Last weekend, weather dictated that I tow through a virtual monsoon. Boat and cover were bone dry (had about 30 minutes of no rain to dry at the end of the trip) and no rubbing on the boat. These covers are made for towing. The only reason I don't cover when the weather is nice is for the cover, not the boat.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
My policy is to not tow on the highway unless weather dictates otherwise. Last weekend, weather dictated that I tow through a virtual monsoon. Boat and cover were bone dry (had about 30 minutes of no rain to dry at the end of the trip) and no rubbing on the boat. These covers are made for towing. The only reason I don't cover when the weather is nice is for the cover, not the boat.
Good to hear. Like you, I wasn't planning on using the cover unless forced to by bad weather.

Now I just need to find somebody with the same boat who is closer to Seattle! Anyone? ... Anyone? ... Bueller?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Shameless bump.

There's gotta be somebody in the Seattle area with an X-Star/X-2/X-1/205V looking for a towable cover... right?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

One more bump before I give up...