Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-13-2011, 06:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
So I just finished installing the carb. When I was getting the fuel line in I pushed down on these and now they move as if on a spring. Before the rebuild they seemed locked open and wouldn't move if pushed on now I can push them closed. I took the carb back off and looked for something to be broken but everything seemed fine. Does anyone know should these open and close with your finger or should they locked open? The boat started in the drive way and run as good as ever. What do you guys think?
PS you guys were right the carb rebuild was pretty easy, thanks for all your help so far.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2011, 06:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMann View Post
So I just finished installing the carb. When I was getting the fuel line in I pushed down on these and now they move as if on a spring. Before the rebuild they seemed locked open and wouldn't move if pushed on now I can push them closed. I took the carb back off and looked for something to be broken but everything seemed fine. Does anyone know should these open and close with your finger or should they locked open? The boat started in the drive way and run as good as ever. What do you guys think?
PS you guys were right the carb rebuild was pretty easy, thanks for all your help so far.
Choke plate. It is operated by the electric choke that is attached to the carb. It has a specific setting that allows the choke to work in the manner intended. .

From their site of technical documents showing the correct settings and responses.

http://holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R9808.pdf

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 08-13-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft PS190 1988 351
. Cloaked is correct. That thing is the choke plate and is fully closed for a cold start. The round black thing on the side of the carb is the electric choke(spring). After you start the engine, the choke(spring) heats up by 12V and gradually opens the choke. If you want to see it operate., turn the key to on with a cold engine and watch it gradually open as the electric choke heats up, has nothing to do with the temp of the engine.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks but that doesn't tell me what I need to know. I have the choke hooked up and didn't adjust it. I am wondering if those butterflies should seem locked open or if they should move as if on a spring. I am wonder if when I was pushing on it to get the fuel line in (which I didn't realize I was doing and shouldn't have done) I striped something inside the choke and now I need to replace that. I am hoping someone can walk out to there and see if they move freely or not.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:22 PM
MC Maniac

It will move with a push of a fingertip. It's not hurt. However You need to have the choke setting adjusted properly for the choke to do it's thing. Read the link I posted.

Quote:
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

Old 08-13-2011, 06:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woobiedmd View Post
. Cloaked is correct. That thing is the choke plate and is fully closed for a cold start. The round black thing on the side of the carb is the electric choke(spring). After you start the engine, the choke(spring) heats up by 12V and gradually opens the choke. If you want to see it operate., turn the key to on with a cold engine and watch it gradually open as the electric choke heats up, has nothing to do with the temp of the engine.
So it shouldn't have been stuck open, should it seem to move freely as if on a spring? It was open when I took it off the boat and never moved. I will let it cool and go back out and look at it. It should be closed when I go back to look when it's cold?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
It will move with a push of a fingertip. It's not hurt. However You need to have the choke setting adjusted properly for the choke to do it's thing. Read the link I posted.
Thanks. I have read through the holley pdf you sent. I am hoping it's going to be OK. I didn't move the choke adjustment during the rebuild (it was a limited rebuild only what was necessary) I am hoping it was just gummed up with some residue and now is moving correctly.

When the boat is warmed up and I am driving around should they be fully open or closed?

Thanks for all your help and the quick reply.

Last edited by JMann; 08-13-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:06 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Thanks. I have read through the holley pdf you sent. I am hoping it's going to be OK. I didn't move the choke adjustment during the rebuild (it was a limited rebuild only what was necessary) I am hoping it was just gummed up with some residue and now is moving correctly.

When the boat is warmed up and I am driving around should they be fully open or closed?

Thanks for all your help and the quick reply.
Your choke plate should be open under normal operating temperature. A rebuild can affect the choke position if indeed a gasket was leaking, etc.

Patience. The 4160 is a decent carb once you mess with it a bit.

Quote:

Old 08-28-2011, 04:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks everyone for all the advice and help. Rebuilding the carb wasn't that hard at all. I took the boat out today and it ran like a champ.
Wanted to let you everything worked out. I haven't done the control cable let. I need to figure out what length and order it.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:19 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the advice and help. Rebuilding the carb wasn't that hard at all. I took the boat out today and it ran like a champ.
Wanted to let you everything worked out. I haven't done the control cable let. I need to figure out what length and order it.
Great to hear the rebuild went well. It's especially rewarding when it all works like it is supposed to. Job well done

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com

Tags
1991 ps 190, carb, fuel problem, indmar