Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-26-2005, 06:45 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 X-star
Send a message via MSN to wakebdr2002 Send a message via Yahoo to wakebdr2002
Starting Problems

Hi everyone, I'm new to this board and thought I might be able to get some technical advice here. I have purchased an '01 X-star earlier this year and it is giving me problems starting after it has been sitting for a few days. It has the 330 HP EFI upgraded engine. If the boat hasnt been used for 2 or more days it will not want to start. I have to crank it for a long time (usually 15 secs at a time with a few mins for the starter to cool) doing this for a while (half hour or more) it will eventually start. Once it starts it will run perfectly all day and start right up everytime. While we were trying to fix the problem we pulled a spark plug and tested it and noticed that it is not getting spark, but it is getting fuel. When cranking it with the spark plug out, it had no spark, but after a few minutes of cranking we saw spark and the engine fired right up. We checked for loose wiring and couldnt find anything. I am thinking it might be a problem with the engine's computer but I have no idea how to check that. If anyone has seen this problem or has any ideas of what the problem is I would greatly appreciate the help.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1979 stars and stripes
Wow dude that sucks. While I cannot help you, I can bump your post back to the top.
#1 supporter of wadka
Old 07-26-2005, 07:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Triton 176 Mag
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEREMY79
Wow dude that sucks. While I cannot help you, I can bump your post back to the top.
79, what you meant was add to your post count!!!
Old 07-29-2005, 09:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebdr2002
Hi everyone, I'm new to this board and thought I might be able to get some technical advice here. I have purchased an '01 X-star earlier this year and it is giving me problems starting after it has been sitting for a few days. It has the 330 HP EFI upgraded engine. If the boat hasnt been used for 2 or more days it will not want to start. I have to crank it for a long time (usually 15 secs at a time with a few mins for the starter to cool) doing this for a while (half hour or more) it will eventually start. Once it starts it will run perfectly all day and start right up everytime. While we were trying to fix the problem we pulled a spark plug and tested it and noticed that it is not getting spark, but it is getting fuel. When cranking it with the spark plug out, it had no spark, but after a few minutes of cranking we saw spark and the engine fired right up. We checked for loose wiring and couldnt find anything. I am thinking it might be a problem with the engine's computer but I have no idea how to check that. If anyone has seen this problem or has any ideas of what the problem is I would greatly appreciate the help.
I would check the output of the crank position sensors located at the front of the engine. At cranking speed, they should have an output of .8 to 1.4 volts each. If they are not producing a strong enough signal, the ignition module may not be able to fire the coils. If the voltage is low, you might try loosening the bolts that attach the bracket to the engine and try to work the sensors a little closer to the trigger wheel.

Engine Nut
Old 07-29-2005, 10:25 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
wow, i wish you lived by me. that advice way beyond me.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 197, 310 hp
Do you give it gas and try to rev the engine when you are starting it after a couple days? Not that you should have to do it with a decently new boat, but I used to have to do that with our 2002 Glastron when we had it and didnt use it for a couple days.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:42 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Perhaps a bit overly simplistic, but did you throw in a new plug when the one you tested didn't initially get a spark? From your post, I couldn't tell.

If it's getting fuel and air, then fire is the problem. How are the plugs and plug wires. How are the connections on the wires.

/it's not that I didn't read engine nut's post, I just didn't understand it.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:45 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradamerry
79, what you meant was add to your post count!!!

yeah brad, you getting worried he's gonna catch you??

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Old 07-30-2005, 10:46 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1979 stars and stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandol
yeah brad, you getting worried he's gonna catch you??
Jeff you done passed me, there bud

No I really wanted the help the guy out. Bump his post up.
#1 supporter of wadka
Old 07-30-2005, 10:47 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
I think the cranking sensors give the signal that the starter is turning the engine and that the ignition module should give fire then...ICBW!!!