Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2011, 10:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
Steam/smoke from under platform

While we were out the other day, my wife noticed something coming from under the platform area. She thought it was smoke, but I don't believe that's what it was simply because it didn't smell like smoke. I'm leaning more towards steam from maybe the coolant water being pumped back out??? I don't really understand how the whole marine engine totally works, but think I'm on the right track. Any suggestions to what I might be experiencing?
Old 07-02-2011, 11:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickespi View Post
While we were out the other day, my wife noticed something coming from under the platform area. She thought it was smoke, but I don't believe that's what it was simply because it didn't smell like smoke. I'm leaning more towards steam from maybe the coolant water being pumped back out??? I don't really understand how the whole marine engine totally works, but think I'm on the right track. Any suggestions to what I might be experiencing?
Exhaust fumes.....Don't worry about it!
Old 07-02-2011, 11:20 AM
MC Fanatic

Really? I've never noticed it before.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:33 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickespi View Post
Marine or car/truck, they work the same way- the exhaust gases go out the exhaust system but since these don't have metal pipes that are cooled by the air, somewhat, water is sent into the exhaust stream so the fiberglass pipes won't melt. Once the warmer water/exhaust hits the cooler water, steam results. If it's smoke, it'll smell like something is burning. If it ever smells like rubber or plastic, shut it down immediately.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:39 AM
MC Fanatic

Ok, great. Makes perfect sense. I'll watch it closely today, but I have a feeling it isn't going to do it. When it started doing it the other day, we had already been on the water about 6 hours. Engine was pretty warm.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Update. Out on the boat and the temp hit 200 and the engine light came on. Obviously overheating. What could be the problem? Would like to fix before the 4th.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
Maybe your impeller is missing some fins?
Pull it out and check it.

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 07-02-2011, 02:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Where is it located? Raw water pump or circulating pump?
Old 07-02-2011, 02:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Raw water pump impellor

Check the raw water pump on the front of the engine just behind the pylon if its a direct drive. Chances are the impellor is missing a fin or two and you are not getting good water flow. Also, if you do find this to be the case, be sure to check if the fins are stuck in the transmission cooler since that is pretty common when the impellor starts to self destruct.

Good Luck.

2004 Prostar 197 - Red on White

350 TBI, Perfect Pass, Heater, Shower and a whole lot of fun!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Just looked at your profile and see you have an X-30. The issue still sounds like a raw water pump impellor, and it is still mounted on the front of the engine, but it will be harder to get to on the X-30.

2004 Prostar 197 - Red on White

350 TBI, Perfect Pass, Heater, Shower and a whole lot of fun!