Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-30-2011, 02:28 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Annoying hiss from speakers while boat is running

When the key is in accessory, there's no hiss
But when the boat is on, there's That hiss. I called my local dealer, they suggested putting in a RCA ground loop. That didn't work. Its getting frustrating, ive checked all connections and any other thing I could think of. My set up is the stock JL 6 channel for the in boats and sub, and an Alpine pdx 600 watt for the 4 tower speakers. Anny help??
Old 06-30-2011, 05:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Sounds like ground issue for sure. Is your head unit grounded directly to battery? I had similar problem. My local shop told me to run the ground from my head unit this way. Problem solved. Electrical stuff is the worst. Have to try every little thing
Old 06-30-2011, 06:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft Limited 351W slot
http://www.termpro.com/articles/noise.html

nice article for car audio
Old 06-30-2011, 06:15 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric's205V View Post
When the key is in accessory, there's no hiss
But when the boat is on, there's That hiss. I called my local dealer, they suggested putting in a RCA ground loop. That didn't work. Its getting frustrating, ive checked all connections and any other thing I could think of. My set up is the stock JL 6 channel for the in boats and sub, and an Alpine pdx 600 watt for the 4 tower speakers. Anny help??
If the sound rises and falls with the engine RPM, it can be a grounding issue but it can also be due to the amps' input sensitivity set incorrectly. JL has info on their site for doing this and it's the best method I have seen, other than using an oscilloscope (which they used when they developed it).

FYI- by telling you to "put in an RCA ground loop", they proved that they don't understand what a ground loop is. It's not something you put in, it's something that needs to be avoided.

A ground loop is caused by resistance on the power and/or ground wires when multiple paths to ground exist. Who installed the Alpine head unit? If they grounded it to the main harness, that could be the cause. The best practice is to run a 12ga ground wire from the amplifier's ground terminal to the head unit and install a ring terminal on the end of the wire. The threaded stud that comes with the head unit should be used to hold the support strap in place and will accept the new ground wire as well as the head unit's ground wire. This usually eliminates the noise.

Look at the input level controls (which I called 'input sensitivity controls')- if they're turned up fully, do the setup I mentioned before anything else. If you don't, your speakers won't live long- when these controls are turned up all the way, the amp will distort before you reach full volume on the head unit and the distortion causes all kinds of problems for speakers. The tweeters will be the first to go.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Sad to say but I've found most wiring in boats to be lacking in attention to detail especially if a car audio shop or previous owner has had their hands on it. It would appear this is so because of the cost to do things right. To a large degree most people are more interested in getting cheap than right.

The easiest way to clean up your power and grounding circuits is to install distribution blocks for both power and grounding circuits. This will ensure that all the amps are getting adequate power through large enough cables and that all the grounds are coming to and tied to the same power/grounding source which should be your battery.

Sonic Electroix carries a large assortment of distribution blocks from Streetwires which I have used and have found to be a high quality product. I'm sure there are several other products out there that would do the job just as well but these are the ones that I've used......

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_m...on-blocks.html

You'll also want to be sure the cables supplying power and ground are sized correctly as well. This is one of those areas where larger is actually better. I found Genuine Dealz to be about the best place to get marine quality wire and connectors.

http://genuinedealz.com/

Cleaning up your installation with these components will not be cheap but if you do a little research and take your time it will be done right and will clear up a lot of problems going forward.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:29 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X2
i have the same issue except i hear no hiss until i trigger it by flipping a switch like anc lights, blower, PP etc. i can manipulate the hiss with the throttle so with me it is a grounding issue but for the life of me i can not cure it. looks like i will be deinstalling and reinstalling with new cable.
1996 Bayliner 2050
Old 06-30-2011, 07:46 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
this is an rca ground loop...

http://www.amazon.com/B25N-MOBILE-GR.../dp/B000LP4RMG
Old 06-30-2011, 08:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X45
is the hissing coming from all the speakers? mine is just coming from my tower speakers
Old 06-30-2011, 09:53 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidstan View Post
i have the same issue except i hear no hiss until i trigger it by flipping a switch like anc lights, blower, PP etc. i can manipulate the hiss with the throttle so with me it is a grounding issue but for the life of me i can not cure it. looks like i will be deinstalling and reinstalling with new cable.
Clicks and pops are often bad grounding, too. Try connecting the audio shield to ground- you can strip the insulation from a piece of wire and wrap the bare wire around the RCA plug shield and then do the same to the other end of the wire, but connect it to the amplifier's ground wire. If it stops the noise, solder the wire to the audio shield and run the new ground wire to the amp, securing it along the way.

This can work for whine, too.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:56 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by agarabaghi View Post
It's a ground loop filter- there's a difference. I know what they were referring to. Unfortunately, that type of filter can alter the sound in a bad way- it's always best to take care of the basics instead of adding anything in the audio path. If one of these filters is added and the bass is reduced, it would be far better to run the new ground wire.