Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-11-2011, 02:57 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1981 S&S, 351
Tight Steering

I replaced the steering cable 2 years ago on my 81' S&S. Steering is great out of the water and for a few hours in the water. After sitting in the water overnight or for a day, steering gets extremely tight. I haven't looked at my rudder for a few years and it is a long process to remove my rear seat and floor board to get to the rudder. Is there packing or a grease zirk of some kind that may help?
Thanks
Old 07-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Skipper

Not sure with the year of your boat but the two common types are either with a grease fitting on the rudder or wax rope packing like the prop shaft. But either way, they are behind the rear seat and floor board...
Old 07-12-2011, 11:33 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, S&S, 1985, 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
Not sure with the year of your boat but the two common types are either with a grease fitting on the rudder or wax rope packing like the prop shaft. But either way, they are behind the rear seat and floor board...
Pull your rear seat and floor. My 85' has a grease fitting near the end of the steering cable, which should be your first step to resolving your tight steering.