Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2010, 11:19 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209
clarion xmd1 issues

I have a clarion xmd1 in my 02 ps209. Lately, the tuner has quit working but the cd player still works. A local stereo dealer told me to replace it with a a non marine radio and save some money because the marine lineup is overpriced and is no better than standard radios. (so he says) However, I have 2 remotes in the boat and I want to continue using them. Do you guys know anything about this? Will the xmd3 work with my remotes? I'd like to have an ipod hookup too. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
One of the best upgrades Ive done to my boat was to ditch the clarion and install the Alpine.. You wont be dissapointed with the difference even with the stock speakers
Old 07-14-2010, 12:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209
was the alpine a marine unit?
Old 07-14-2010, 12:09 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
The XMD3 will work with your existing remotes according to this thread: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ead.php?t=5233
Old 07-14-2010, 04:27 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 MasterCraft MariStar 230 VRS
I replaced my XMD1 with the new Clarion CMD6. Just plug and play. The face plate width is the only differences.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:35 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Do your remotes work with the CMD6?
Old 07-14-2010, 04:58 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft
the CMD6 requires new wired remotes, i think there's another wire in the harness, so you'll have to pull a harness through also.

That being said, I just upgraded from the XMD3 to the CMD6(pics are posted in another thread), and have an XMD3 in great condition I'd be willing to part with for cheap...
Old 07-14-2010, 07:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulesmi View Post
was the alpine a marine unit?
yes it is, I figured if I was going to have to change remotes anywas to go to a cmd6, I may as well get what I want
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2010, 09:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X-10, 2003
I went from an XMD1 to an XMD3 and it was an easy upgrade. I would say I'm not a total noob when it comes to stereos, but I'm not too much past, and I thought it was easy. All worked the first time, all fit in the old holes, no need to change the wire harness.

The thing that I did that made it really work nice was to add a wire that plugged into the RCA outs and then into the bottom of an Ipod. I had to add a hot power tap, but now through the aux setting I run my ipod(s). My boat has a cup holder just to the right and on the floor by the driver's seat. I put the Ipod in an Ipod cup holder thingy and plug in the power/in/out (takes 1/2 second) into the bottom and it also charges the Ipod and it's very easy to get to and change playlists ect. So I am very happy with the upgrade. There is a setting on the XMD3 that you need to be aware of. Search some of the threads for it, but you need to go through a process so it plays the tower speakers and the boat speakers at the same time - this will reset when the battery is removed, so you'll need to go through the setting every spring. I just keep the instructions in the XMD3 manual, so I can find them each year.

I did recently buy the XMD3 to XMD4 plate adapter because I saw it on ebay and I thought if I ever upgraded to a newer clarion that maybe it would work for the newer units too? (XMD6).
Old 07-15-2010, 06:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wboardguy View Post
I did recently buy the XMD3 to XMD4 plate adapter because I saw it on ebay and I thought if I ever upgraded to a newer clarion that maybe it would work for the newer units too? (XMD6).
The same plate will work for other stereo installs. I used it to mount my alpine and even the screw holes lined up perfectly