Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2011, 09:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 MASTERCRAFT PRO STAR 190
Indmar, Pleasurecraft, Etc...?

I Know This Is A Stupid Question - But Without Any Marking On An Engine, How Do Youtell The Difference Between Types? Inmar? Pleaseurecraft, Etc.?

Which Is Mine?
Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2011, 10:00 AM

Boat: 06 X30
That is an Indmar 351 and if the boat is older then 92 I'm gonna guess it's the 285HO model. If you look at the front of the heads and see 3 little one inch raised cast marks it's the 285HP model.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:05 AM
MC Devotee

Thanks! But Where Would It Say Indmar? WHAT LETS YOU KNOW THE BRAND?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X-Star, 2002, 5.7L TBI EFI GM/Indmar V-8
"Indmar" is casted into the intake manifold on my engine.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
From the carpet, I'm guessing a 91. If it is a 351HO, it looks to have had the carb changed to a 4160.

You can tell it's an Indmar because the water circulating pump is located just aft of the ski pylon with the alternator located on the front-starboard side. A PCM engine has its water pump located on the front-starboard side of the engine and the alternator on the front-port side of the engine about midway up.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190 Powerslot
If I recall, the silver lable visible on the the starboard valve cover has some information.

I have a 91 ProStar 190 with Indmar Ford 351. That photo looks EXACTLY like mine.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:05 PM
MC Hero

You can see the different location of the alternator as opposed to the Indmar location in this picture.

You can see the water pump location in this one (different motor, but same idea).

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 07-06-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:22 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
From the carpet, I'm guessing a 91. If it is a 351HO, it looks to have had the carb changed to a 4160.

You can tell it's an Indmar because the water circulating pump is located just aft of the ski pylon with the alternator located on the front-starboard side. A PCM engine has its water pump located on the front-starboard side of the engine and the alternator on the front-port side of the engine about midway up.
how would you tell from the pic that the carb has been changed? with the cover on it? whats more reliable? the indmar or pcm? thanks!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:33 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2BESOHUGE View Post
how would you tell from the pic that the carb has been changed? with the cover on it? whats more reliable? the indmar or pcm? thanks!
If it's a 91 and from the carpet and the big muffler behind the engine, I'm guessing that it is, the 4160 was OEM (not changed). If it's a 92 and not a 351HO, the 4160 would be OEM (not changed). If it's a 92 or 93 and has the 351HO, from looking at the picture, I'd say the carb has been changed (OEM was a 4010 with a dual feed fuel line). The dual feed was along the starboard side of the carb and, if I recall correctly, the fuel line from the pump went to the starboard side. I can see the fuel line in that picture, which appears to go to the front-port side of the carb. That's what I'm basing this on.

Again, if it's a 91, things become much more certain.

Do you have the serial number? That would make things easier.

Both PCM and Indmar do reliable marinizations of the Ford and Chevy engines. They are a little different to work on, but I have had good experiences with the Indmar and PCM Ford engines both from a performance and maintenance perspective. That second PCM picture above is mine.

MasterCraft used PCM through about 1987 or so, at which point they switched to Indmar, which continued through 2011.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Last edited by east tx skier; 07-06-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:44 PM
MC Hero

-------------SORRY___________

Double Post.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club