Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 06-28-2011, 07:57 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Fulton F2 Jack Installation

I think this has been done before but I finally got around to this project and figured I'd document it while doing the installation. On a scale from 1 to 5 this is probably about a 1 to 1.5 on the difficulty scale. All that is needed is the most basic of tools once you've purchased the adapter plate. I know "Can't Repeat" is selling some mild steel adapter plates but as I avoid painting if possible I wanted stainless so I had my brother in law waterjet cut about 10 plates, we then ordered the hardware and tapped them in case anyone else wanted one. If you're interested in one let me know. One nice thing is since he has a website for his business (liquidcut.com) he will accept credit cards and Paypal for any purchase.

At any rate here's the process of doing the installation.......

The first picture is of the new Fulton F2 jack, the adapter plate and the hardware used to mount the jack.

To make the process easy and safe I hooked the boat up to the truck and lowered the existing trailer jack so it just touched the ground.

I then used a wrench to remove the single bolt off the existing jack mount.

I then removed the old jack from the mount leaving you with the mount which has a threaded bolt extending out from the center of the mounting plate.
Attached Images

Last edited by bturner2; 06-28-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:22 AM
MC Maniac

The next step is probably the hardest which is why I added the .5 to the difficulty of the installation. You will need to cut the center bolt on the mounting plate flush with or behind the mounting plate so that the adapter plate can sit flush. We may cut another plate with a hole in the center later if this seems to be too much a hassle for others installing the adapter plate but I thought doing it this way made the finished installation look cleaner.

For my installation I used a die grinder with a cut off wheel to make short work of removing the bolt. I'd guess that by the time I had the compressor fired up, the air hose ran and the die grinder set up I could have done the same job quicker with a hack saw.

Once the bolt has been cut, use the supplied hardware (4 stainless steel bolts with stainless washers and nylock nuts) to secure the adapter plate to the mount. This is a little tricky as you'll have to maneuver the washers and nuts into place in a rather tight space. I used the German torque specification "good'n tight" to tighten the 4 bolts and ensure they would not move or come loose in the future.

The last step is to attach the jack to the adapter plate with the supplied bolts. One thing I did to make attaching the jack easier was to crank the jack up to match the height of the plate. I could now focus on running in the bolts without having to lift the jack into place. Before installing the bolts I added Loctite thread locker to the threads to make sure they would stay in place and once again applied the German torque specification.

Lastly I had a beer to celebrate finally getting the adapte plates cut and getting the jack mounted on the trailer.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2011, 08:24 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
how much is that jack?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X45
nice positioning of the corona
Old 06-28-2011, 08:41 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
very interested in the adapter plate as i don't want to paint mine either!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:34 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Looks awesome! Great install and I sure wish I had a waterjet. Pass along to your brother I'm pretty jealous!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:57 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
Nice job! I am looking FWD to getting mine done this week also.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:06 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by agarabaghi View Post
how much is that jack?
I've seen all kinds of prices on the jack itself but the price does seem to be coming down quickly. I did a quick search this morning and found it here for $89 shipped.

http://boatersplanet.com/index.php?m...d0100309c83ef4

Disclaimer..... I am in no way affiliated with Boaters Planet. I have no idea who these people are or if anyone should consider purchasing anything from them.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Looks awesome! Great install and I sure wish I had a waterjet. Pass along to your brother I'm pretty jealous!
Thanks, will do. It' nice having access to the waterjet but I'm always at the very bottom of the list for any private projects and I'm his IT guy. I seem get best access when something on the computer side is broken. Probably why this took so long to get done.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:43 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Thanks, will do. It' nice having access to the waterjet but I'm always at the very bottom of the list for any private projects and I'm his IT guy. I seem get best access when something on the computer side is broken. Probably why this took so long to get done.
How did you do the countersinks? Seems even with a 3 axis jet it would just 45 the entire hole. With the tools I have SS is just to hard to work with. I'd go through $80 saw blades every stinking day if I was doing them in stainless.