Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2011, 04:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
Out of all the super wake boats its the biggest gas hog. Yes I know people that can afford it can afford the gas.
Brutha, I take issue with that statement! I'm thinking O should release all the strategic oil for this Summer's boating season!! My monthly boating bill generally surpasses my mortgage and it definitely blows my boat payment out of the water. I need rich friends...with gas cards. That reminds me, now that The Nuggets are out of school, I should have them out collecting alumn cans to help pay for fuel. 'Tis a pig, that boat.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X55,LSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis View Post
Brutha, I take issue with that statement! I'm thinking O should release all the strategic oil for this Summer's boating season!! My monthly boating bill generally surpasses my mortgage and it definitely blows my boat payment out of the water. I need rich friends...with gas cards. That reminds me, now that The Nuggets are out of school, I should have them out collecting alumn cans to help pay for fuel. 'Tis a pig, that boat.
Do like I do, I have them comb the neighborhood stealing gas cans out of open garages at night.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
I think it could use a few things. Out of all the super wake boats its the biggest gas hog. Yes I know people that can afford it can afford the gas. A bigger boat would be nicer for that price tag say 23 to 24 a wider beam. Also less bow area and make the cockpit area bigger shift everything forward a bit. Its actually small considering the size of the boat. Realistically could do most of that and keep the hull pretty much the same. Get a bit more bang for your buck guess you would make the old one the X2 with MC way of thinking. All these things might give it more room for hidden ballast in a plug n play system.
Agreed. More importantly, this is a 8 yr old hull. The pickle fork X-star was still a "ski" boat at heart. Sure, no one wants to ski behind it, but it is still a ski boat hull, albeit a lousy one.

Enter the modern hull of the x-25. Much more efficient at producing a nice shaped, large wake. Never intended to be a ski boat. I am thinking the new X-star is a stretched X-25 lower hull, but a very different top hull.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:31 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision View Post
Agreed. More importantly, this is a 8 yr old hull. The pickle fork X-star was still a "ski" boat at heart. Sure, no one wants to ski behind it, but it is still a ski boat hull, albeit a lousy one.

Enter the modern hull of the x-25. Much more efficient at producing a nice shaped, large wake. Never intended to be a ski boat. I am thinking the new X-star is a stretched X-25 lower hull, but a very different top hull.
I may be confused, but if you are saying that that the 03 - 11 XStar hull is a ski boat at heart you are mistaken. This boat was the first boat MC ever designed from the outset to be a pure wakeboard boat. That was their intent, and to this day it is the best boarding wake out there. The X25 was derived from the CSX 220 hull which produced a surprisingly good boarding wake even to those at MC. The CSX wasn't designed to be a great boarding wake. But many felt that it was the 2nd best wake only to the XStar. So they tried to figure out what to do with the hull and developed the X25 with great success.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I may be confused, but if you are saying that that the 03 - 11 XStar hull is a ski boat at heart you are mistaken. This boat was the first boat MC ever designed from the outset to be a pure wakeboard boat. That was their intent, and to this day it is the best boarding wake out there. The X25 was derived from the CSX 220 hull which produced a surprisingly good boarding wake even to those at MC. The CSX wasn't designed to be a great boarding wake. But many felt that it was the 2nd best wake only to the XStar. So they tried to figure out what to do with the hull and developed the X25 with great success.
John E I see your point. But, I still say when mc started to design the pf x star they began by staring the bottom of the 205v and said how can we make the wake better. Not a ski boat, but designed from ski boat point of view. However, the cs220 hull was as you indicated not designed as an extension of a ski boat, but a small boat with a hull for rough water.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:20 AM
Platzen500

It's probably gonna be next year they'll be releasing it.

Columbia Bugaboo
Suisse Sport Sleeping bag
Teton Sports Celsius
Old 06-29-2011, 08:06 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision View Post
John E I see your point. But, I still say when mc started to design the pf x star they began by staring the bottom of the 205v and said how can we make the wake better. Not a ski boat, but designed from ski boat point of view. However, the cs220 hull was as you indicated not designed as an extension of a ski boat, but a small boat with a hull for rough water.
In talking with Norm Krauss (NE vp of sales) he indicated that it was designed completely and solely to make the best boarding hull possible. Not one bit of ski boat point of view.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
John is right there is nothing in the AP-1 x-star hull that is based off the 205V hull, current hull was a clean sheet design.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
I don't think they even looked at the 205V hull to make the xstar hull. If you look at them side by side they dont look similar at all.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC XStar 2002 310
Sorry man meant that in jest. Every time I hear someone complaining about how much of a fuel hog it is the typical response I see is that. Which I too think is CRAP. However there may be some hope. Travis Moye of the boarding school posted this picture from his new X Star with this following quote. "25 mph, 4000lbs + 5 people, 3700 rpm's. That's what the new TZ-X5 prop will do for you!" Thats the new 5 blade prop from OJ that I just saw in wakeboarding magazine.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3108740_n.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis View Post

Tags
2012, release date, x-25