Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2011, 04:17 PM
seventysevenSnS

1977 S&S Vibrations Shaft/Seal

I recently purchased a beautiful 1977 Stars and stripes. Everything in the boat except the interior is completely origional.... Motor Shafts, it even looks as if it has the origional prop. Everything is in great shape. At low rpm the shaft/or prop seems to be out of balance , wobble vibration. It seems to be not as bad at highrpm, as well as it seems to be leaking through the seal a small bit. I believe i need a new seal and i plan on plulling the shaft to have it balance/staightened. What do I need to know about this ordeal? Were do i find the correct water seal joint?
Old 06-10-2011, 04:26 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventysevenSnS View Post
I recently purchased a beautiful 1977 Stars and stripes. Everything in the boat except the interior is completely origional.... Motor Shafts, it even looks as if it has the origional prop. Everything is in great shape. At low rpm the shaft/or prop seems to be out of balance , wobble vibration. It seems to be not as bad at highrpm, as well as it seems to be leaking through the seal a small bit. I believe i need a new seal and i plan on plulling the shaft to have it balance/staightened. What do I need to know about this ordeal? Were do i find the correct water seal joint?
Welcome and congrats on finding a classic in great shape. I'm kind of partial to that year myself. I don't have the answers to your questions as my boat came with all new running gear, but someone will be along shortly who can steer you in the right direction.

Sure would like to see some pics of your boat. Pictures go a long way around here.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 06-10-2011, 05:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98 Prostar 190 Stars & Stripes, LT1
http://elberts.com/faq.htm

Good reading on this website! May I suggest you start with checking the prop shaft and engine alignment?
SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
89058397 (pump outlet side)
IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)
Old 06-27-2011, 03:25 PM
wakebdmojave4275

try this link to repack your stuffing box http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box
cutlass bearing could be out of line causing vibration, fairly common if you run up on beaches a lot and let the prop contact the bottom. You can get the flax line for restuffing the box at any West Marine store or call around to your local marine stores in yr area
Old 06-27-2011, 03:27 PM
wakebdmojave4275

you should always have a little bit of water coming through the seal, that's how it works, needs to be wet in there or you'll burn the flax rope