Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 07-25-2005, 02:41 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Angry Trailer jack

For some reason my trailer jack binds up when I try to lower it (my boat's a 1990 PS 190, original trailer). I've tried everything to free it up but I'm thinking that the shaft must be slightly bent enough on the lower part to prevent if from going all the way up into the jack.

My problem is, how do I replace the dang thing??? The original trailer jack is welded onto the trailer. The only thing I could think of (short of getting a cutting torch) was to put a cheap $29.99 Boater's World jack on the other side. Am I missing something here? Is there some practical way to replace the jack on these trailers????

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 07-25-2005, 03:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190 - 351 Indmar (1:1) / 365 Hours
To my knowledge you only have those two options, Shepherd. Get a torch, and cut off the old one, or throw a new cheap on the other side. As I understand, there is nothing wrong mechanically with adding another jack.

Mine failed on my '88, and I was able to unbolt most of the old one, and put the new one over the remaining components on the same side. I didn't have access to cutting tools to remove the rest of the orginal. It works fine now. Best of luck.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Master Craft X2 MCX
Try this:

http://www.trailersbydorsey.com/
Old 07-25-2005, 03:48 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd
For some reason my trailer jack binds up when I try to lower it (my boat's a 1990 PS 190, original trailer). I've tried everything to free it up but I'm thinking that the shaft must be slightly bent enough on the lower part to prevent if from going all the way up into the jack.

My problem is, how do I replace the dang thing??? The original trailer jack is welded onto the trailer. The only thing I could think of (short of getting a cutting torch) was to put a cheap $29.99 Boater's World jack on the other side. Am I missing something here? Is there some practical way to replace the jack on these trailers????
Most of those jacks are Fulton or Bulldog (Mastercraft currently uses Fulton). In many cases (don't know about 1990 MC trailers), those swivel jacks are what are called "snap-ring" jacks. In that case, the backing plate is welded onto the trailer and the jack itself is held onto the welded-on plate with a split-spring. Remove the snap-ring and the jack comes off. Then, of course, you'd have to find a jack where the hub fits the welded-on plate. However, there just hasn't been that much change in that kind of heavy equipment over the last 15 years and I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a replacement jack that fits the welded-on backing plate exactly.

I'd find out what kind of jack it is and look it up the company on the web. It's probably a Fulton or a Bulldog . You can buy replacement parts from them, or from a company like Northern Tool.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
I bought a while back from Lex at Rambo marine. All you do is pull out the four hex head bolts and put the new one on.

Last edited by G-man; 07-25-2005 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:01 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by george
I bought a while back from Lex at Rambo marine. All you do is pull out the four hex head bolts and put the nem one on.
Unless it's welded on instead of bolted...

Quote:
My problem is, how do I replace the dang thing??? The original trailer jack is welded onto the trailer.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd
Does it have a swivel so it can swing 90 degrees? If so it will have a snap ring so the jack can be removed from the mount that is welded to the frame.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
Shepard, if your '90 trailer is the same as my '89 trailer, you may be in luck. See this thread: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4393 for photos of my trailer. My jack crapped out, and I bought a new one from Overton's expecting it to take a lot of work to get the new one on, but like Bert said, it was as simple as removing the snap ring and installing the new jack. Piece of cake, as long as you can find the right jack.
Good luck,
Kevin
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far