Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Maristar
Metal Noise at low speed

I have a 1998 Maristar and every once in while I hear what sounds to me like we have run over an alluminiun can. It only happens at low speed like when we tow a surfer. And it only happen once in a while. The metal noise only last a second or 2. I have checked the prop and we have not hit anything and I actually believe it is coming from inside the boat in the V-drive or transmission area.
Has anyone else ever experience this noise? Since it only happen once in while it seems like it will be difficult for the mechanic to diagnose. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
Check all of your storage areas...it might literally be an aluminum can...maybe something rolls on top of something else at that exact planing angle.

Worth a look.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:53 PM
TT Newbie

Jorski - Thanks for the quick reply. I thought that exact same thing last night and looked all around under the storage areas and engine compartment. Nothing loose and rolling around that I could see.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:46 PM
CapsFan

I would suspect it's the clutch plate starting to fail and you're hearing pieces of the small springs rattle around in the housing. I had it happen on my old 88 TriStar.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Damper plate, several threads with similar noises have led to this being the problem.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 06-21-2011, 09:53 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks, In the shop now and waiting to find out what it will be.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 AM
TT Newbie

My mechanic just called and said it is the Drive Plate. So is that basically the same thing people are calling the Damper plate? Anyway, looks like he can't get it fixed until after the 4th of July. Bummer! Isn't that how it goes? The boat never breaks on the last day of summer right?
Old 06-21-2011, 01:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Get the part and attempt it your self if you can! Not that hard with all the help available on here give it a try!

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 06-21-2011, 01:33 PM
TT Newbie

Yeah I don't really have the tools - Plus the mechanic says on my 98 Maristar that he'll have to pull the engine out to make the repair and that would be beyond my skills.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98 Prostar 190 Stars & Stripes, LT1
What about just removing the transmission? If that is not beyond your skills you could have it fixed by yourself before the holiday.

I personally wouldn't go to the extra trouble of removing the entire engine to replace the drive plate/damper plate. Seems like it would make more sense to support the engine with a couple of bottle jacks under each exhaust manifold. After removing the two rear mounts, drive shaft coupling, hoses, electrical connections, shift cable etc... just raise the engine a few inches and unbolt the transmission.

It's really not that hard if you are mechanically inclined at all, in fact I think the hardest part of the job that requires the most patience is aligning the drive shaft when you are finished.
SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
89058397 (pump outlet side)
IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)

Tags
metal, noise, transmission, v-drive