Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 07-24-2005, 01:32 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Slalom Wing

Who uses the wing and who took it off your new school Slalom Ski? If you've played around with it what differences did you notice without the fin?

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Old 07-24-2005, 08:03 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
I have a wing on my slalom. I like the performance it provides for slowing into a turn. Upon edge change and slightly shifting my weight forward to dampen the ski, the fin does it's thing, especially on a short line when I tend to run late, often... LOL....

It helps me, or at least I think it does...

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 07-25-2005, 06:35 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty
I have a wing on my slalom. I like the performance it provides for slowing into a turn. Upon edge change and slightly shifting my weight forward to dampen the ski, the fin does it's thing, especially on a short line when I tend to run late, often... LOL....

It helps me, or at least I think it does...
I'm with Sporty... I think it helps me - so it stays on.

Besides, it give me something to blame my run on... Dang fin is adjusted wrong again!
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:24 AM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
I definitely use my fin. I adjust it nose down almost all the way. For me it really helps to slam on the brakes and whip the ski around in the turn. But, each has his own preference/skiing style...

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 07-25-2005, 08:56 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: ProStar 190 1996 LT1
My wing is off.
I was told that it is not needed till 35 off.
I'm still doing a lot adjustments on my fin.
The problem that I'm having, is that I'm taking to much speed into the ball.
I'm thinking I might put the wing back on.
But with the wing on the ski slows so fast it will cause you to brake at the waist.At lest that what it does to me.
I'm going to leave it off a little wail longer, but it might go back on if I can't get that ski to slow down
Old 07-25-2005, 10:15 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by John B
My wing is off.
I was told that it is not needed till 35 off.
I'm still doing a lot adjustments on my fin.
The problem that I'm having, is that I'm taking to much speed into the ball.
I'm thinking I might put the wing back on.
But with the wing on the ski slows so fast it will cause you to brake at the waist.At lest that what it does to me.
I'm going to leave it off a little wail longer, but it might go back on if I can't get that ski to slow down
NO wing for me.
Ski instructor had me remove the wing explaining the same reasons johnb mentioned.
Remove yours if you're skiing alot and you'll notice a huge difference! The tail of the ski feels much looser and you can even kinda push the tail of the ski around the ball a bit compared to when the wing is in place. I like it without the wing so mine stays off til I'm a shortline dude.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Malibu Response LXi
There is some comprehensive discussions on www.schnitzskis.com about the wind and what it does. It's a very individual thing that combines style and ski. There really is no rule to when you have to have it and when you shouldn't have it but, if you only going 34mph and skiing at 15 off you probably don't benefit from it at all and using it can impede some fundementals you will need to master to get to shortline- the edge change and learnig to make the ski continue outbound.

I never used a wing on my CR7 and I ran frequently into 38 and beyond. Now, I have a wing on my Carbonworx and run it upside down at 7 degrees with a water temp in the 80's. The reason to use a wing is because it keeps the tail of the ski in the water. You will know it's doing this by feeling like it's slowing the ski down. What it's doing is keeping the tail in the water so that the more of the ski is in the water and that's how a ski turns. The benefit here is that when a skier is running fast speeds(35 and shorter usually) that skier will want the tail to stay firmly planted in the water so that when he/she starts to load the tip of the ski to turn hard the tail won't blow out. By the time a skier gets to 35 off you'll know how to change edge and slow the ski down on your own, you just don't want the tail bowing out.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:03 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
After a year with the wing flipped upside down, I finally yanked it off on Saturday and picked up a rather elusive offside buoy within a few passes. I don't know that the wing removal accomplished this. There were many variables. I have no plans to put it back on yet though.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:24 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
a bit off topic but my girlfriend (newbie skier) was kinda fighting deepwater starts on an old HO with a fixed fin.
I scavenged an adjustable fin (with a wing) from another old HO and she popped up right away.
I am no expert but I think the fin even stabilizes the direction of the ski upon deepwater starts.
since then, she's skiing an HO burner and deepwater starts are much much easier.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
After a year with the wing flipped upside down, I finally yanked it off on Saturday and picked up a rather elusive offside buoy within a few passes. I don't know that the wing removal accomplished this. There were many variables. I have no plans to put it back on yet though.
And are we doing in the course so far ?
Lost 2 bouys last week end to a PWC with a tube slaloming the course