Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-25-2004, 06:57 PM
akstephens

Impeller Maintenance

Last year, I spent a bunch of $ repairing our 1999 Maristar 210 due to overheating caused by a damaged impeller. I want to avoid this and read in the owners manual to replace the impeller every season. Problem is, I can't seem to figure out how to access it. Any suggestions?
Old 08-25-2004, 10:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
It ain't fun on a V-Drive since there's not a lot of space between the transom and the pump. You gotta be somewhat of a contortionist to work back there.

There are lots of posts here (and the old site) on changing the impeller, but I don't remember if any are specifically for the '99 MariStar.
A small impeller puller (if you have room) is great.

But, you're right. Change it every year. Cheapest engine insurance you can buy.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 08-26-2004, 01:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X2, MCX
I use a small impeller puller on my 99 Maristar 210, v-drive. You can search the web, but I bought mine from West Marine. It works well and Neil is right, the access is limited due to the limited space between silent muffler and impeller pump housing. The small puller fits within that space, and I use a mirror to see what I'm doing. Once I get the gripping prongs on the impeller, just screw in the handle on the puller and the impeller comes right out. There are lots of methods others use, e.g., dish soap, turn the motor over a few times (saftey lanyard removed so the engine does not fire up), plyers, screw drivers, and inch the impeller out, so search the old site for more details.

Here is the link to the West Marine puller http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=25413
Old 08-30-2004, 02:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1995 PS190
Send a message via AIM to OhioProstar
Wouldn't this work if you reversed the arms:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2&categoryId=0