Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-14-2012, 01:41 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
What do you mean "will wake up"?

As I posted a few years ago, if the government really wants to tax us to death and get every penny hoarded by everyone, they'll change the currency and make illegal, what is now in use. They would institute an exchange program, giving a certain amount returned when people take their cash to the banks with full documentation of all amounts, denominations and including foreign currencies. They would send this info to the IRS, so we can be taxed on the amount. If someone has a foreign bank account that's outside of US tax policies, they would specify that any redemption of these accounts would have to have been done before a specific date if the bearer wants to be able to convert it to the new currency. If they try to convert to any other currency after the date when it was made useless, the bearers would be turned away by the foreign banks because the currently used bills would be worthless. Also, they would be limited to the amount returned because, as Obama recently said, "....at a certain point, you've made enough money...". The guy's wealth is reported to be as high as $15 Million dollars and he's telling us this? I see ZERO chance of Romney telling anyone that they have "made enough money". Compared with Bill Gates, Jobs, Buffet and others, Romney is a piker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0JkyZx1LdQ

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8394987.stm
I don't know why I'm letting you bait me on this, but I'll bite. Realistically, when you reach a certain net worth, you have made enough money. Let's say your 40 and you have made 200 million. If you live another 40 years and never made another penny, you would have to survive on 5 million a year, or $570 per hour for the rest of your life. So to make that statement isn't unrealistic, but for a politician in his position to make that statement probably isn't the best choice of words.

The rest of my posts on here will be related to RON PAUL. This is the Ron Paul thread after all. And yes, I'm still voting for him.

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Old 09-14-2012, 02:03 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet View Post
I don't know why I'm letting you bait me on this, but I'll bite. Realistically, when you reach a certain net worth, you have made enough money. Let's say your 40 and you have made 200 million. If you live another 40 years and never made another penny, you would have to survive on 5 million a year, or $570 per hour for the rest of your life. So to make that statement isn't unrealistic, but for a politician in his position to make that statement probably isn't the best choice of words.

The rest of my posts on here will be related to RON PAUL. This is the Ron Paul thread after all. And yes, I'm still voting for him.
Then why are you bring up all kinds of other topics? Do you expect other people not to post about them or argue a point about them? When you bring up the topic or wars it's something I've lived through and have very strong feelings about. I've watch Soldiers, my Soldiers, my friends die first hand fighting these wars so I have pretty strong belief about them.

You can't say Ron Paul thinks, Ron Paul feels on any given topic and not expect us to engage you on it.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:38 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Uh, look, I'm not some internet savvy guy with his own forum or blog. This is basically the only forum on which I participate. So, other than my friends and family, this is my outlet. My goal was to promote his message and the message of freedom because I feel things are deeply wrong with our country, and this was my cost free contribution to the Ron Paul/Liberty movement. So, this is basically my outlet. I had no intention of this thread going off on the tangent it has gone over the past couple weeks. I know Ron Paul can't be elected at this point, and I think it is a sad situation. However the events leading up to Ron Paul not being able to be elected has made me angry, so I have gone on about it here. I probably shouldn't have because like you said it is like screaming at a wall. Maybe when I calm down about it, I will rethink all of this. But make no mistake, I will not vote for anyone else, period. That will not change.
I would think about going to rallies, meetings and those events, so you can discuss this with people in your area. Write a blog- you might even make some money with it. Write Letters To The Editor of your local paper and respond to those who reply, but respond with civility. Post examples of the points you want to make. If you're concerned about being woken in the night by a gloved hand over your mouth, you'll have to decide whether to do it, or not. Maybe a pseudonym would be a good idea.

I'm not arguing about whether we're headed down the wrong path- we clearly are. To people who think we're headed down the wrong path. The rest will either have to see it for themselves, keep denying it or keep their heads in the sand and think they're in he!! when they finally wake up. As for me, I plan to get the he!! out of Dodge ASAP and go somewhere warmer (so I don't need to use so much fuel to stay warm, replace cars/trucks so often because of the road salt and get away from the turds here), where I don't have to deal with the kind of people we have here and where I can hang out with my friends in the area where I plan to move. If I want to be cold, I'll drive to it- I'm tired of 6 months of Winter and crappy weather.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:48 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
I would think about going to rallies, meetings and those events, so you can discuss this with people in your area. Write a blog- you might even make some money with it. Write Letters To The Editor of your local paper and respond to those who reply, but respond with civility. Post examples of the points you want to make. If you're concerned about being woken in the night by a gloved hand over your mouth, you'll have to decide whether to do it, or not. Maybe a pseudonym would be a good idea.

I'm not arguing about whether we're headed down the wrong path- we clearly are. To people who think we're headed down the wrong path. The rest will either have to see it for themselves, keep denying it or keep their heads in the sand and think they're in he!! when they finally wake up. As for me, I plan to get the he!! out of Dodge ASAP and go somewhere warmer (so I don't need to use so much fuel to stay warm, replace cars/trucks so often because of the road salt and get away from the turds here), where I don't have to deal with the kind of people we have here and where I can hang out with my friends in the area where I plan to move. If I want to be cold, I'll drive to it- I'm tired of 6 months of Winter and crappy weather.
Precisely why I censor myself and stay off facebook.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:49 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Then why are you bring up all kinds of other topics? Do you expect other people not to post about them or argue a point about them? When you bring up the topic or wars it's something I've lived through and have very strong feelings about. I've watch Soldiers, my Soldiers, my friends die first hand fighting these wars so I have pretty strong belief about them.

You can't say Ron Paul thinks, Ron Paul feels on any given topic and not expect us to engage you on it.
Anger causes digression. But quite frankly, there is so much wrong where does one stop?

Old 09-14-2012, 04:00 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:

I'm not trying to bait you in this- I was commenting about Obama's statement.

But, OK, say someone has accumulated $200 Million. Why should anyone tell them that they can't make more? What if they want to invest it in a company that would help the World end dependence on fossil fuel? What if they have an idea for a way to ALWAYS make clean water and sanitation a reality for ALL Third World countries? If they invest all of it, what will they live on- the well wishes of others? Realistically, $200 Million is a drop in the bucket WRT the actual investment needed for this kind of venture. It would be more like $200 Billion that would really get the ball rolling. What if someone wants to start a venture capital company- to really do a lot, again, $200M really isn't much, in the grand scheme of things.

Amassing a $200M fortune and then sitting back for the rest of one's life is a waste- totally unproductive, IMO. Still, they should be free to do this if they want- they just shouldn't be looking for congratulations for it. That said, people with a lot of money do like to buy a lot. They like to have more thna one home, they'll need to fill these homes with things and this all helps the local or global economy, whether everyone agrees, or not. Buffet and Gates have "made more than enough money, by this definition. OTOH, they have already initiated their plans to donate the vast majority of it. If they were the money-grubbing type, they would never have done this. I have less respect for Buffet, though. He manages money and talks about agreeing that the rich should pay more in taxes but he's still fighting his tax bill. He also didn't make his fortune by making anything, other than money. Gates and he others at Microsoft revolutionized computing, although their ethics are questionable in many cases.

There's a line in 'Citizen Kane'- "Making money is easy, if all you want to do is make money". People who work hard for big money deserve to do what they want with it but too many are incredibly callous about how they use theirs. If you were to really look around, many are active in many charitable organizations and causes. Many donate money to these causes, as well- large sums of money. Money is compensation for these people, not necessarily the goal. It's easy to spot the ones whose love of money IS the goal- they're often indicted for fraud, money laundering, Ponzi schemes and securities violations. For these people, "Go big, or go home" is their mantra, but they use other people's money to do it and have no intention of repaying the donors. Some just like to show off and these, like the Kardashians, Hiltons and others, are pathetic. They just don't realize it.

I was talking with one of my equipment reps yesterday and we got onto the topic of the elections. He mentioned the British way- they have 6 weeks to campaign and they can spend a total of $5 Million. Imagine what could be done with the money spent for the '08 POTUS election. Between McCain and Obama alone, it was about $1B. OTOH, Obama's war chest was about three times what McCain had and he used the McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Reform Act against McCain and that's another reason I don't like him.

Last edited by JimN; 09-14-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:01 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Precisely why I censor myself and stay off facebook.
Yeah- some of those threads are like quicksand.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:23 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Yeah- some of those threads are like quicksand.
I'm not worried about the threads, I'm worried about the black bag being put over my head like in the movie 'V for Vendetta'. Sad....this is america where we once had free speech.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:29 PM
MC Addict

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeTyL...ayer_embedded#!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
I'm not worried about the threads, I'm worried about the black bag being put over my head like in the movie 'V for Vendetta'. Sad....this is america where we once had free speech.
The thing that really annoyed me in '08 and last year when Walker was recalled was those on the other side don't allow anyone to have an opinion that's different from theirs and they let us know we were worse than scum for not agreeing with them. Some were friends and I wasn't the one who got sh%tty about it, either. One guy, who I worked with almost 40 years ago and who I used to golf with on a regular basis un-friended me over it after HE dropped a bunch of F-bombs in the discussion.