Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #701  
Old 08-04-2012, 02:09 PM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorczak1 View Post
If you really want to get worried look at the International Small Arms Treaty - Treaties can supersede constitutional law. Anyway... it's just another way to strip us of our rights.
They can, if there's nothing written into the Constitution that says "No treaty shall supercede any Article or Amendment", or something to that effect. IIRC, our Constitution does have that.

Or, not. This is from Article 6- "This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding."

Looks, to me, that the Laws of and State can't stop Federal Law or Treaty signed by the Federal Government from affecting us.

We're screwed.

Last edited by JimN; 08-04-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #702  
Old 08-04-2012, 02:27 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 11,403
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
They can, if there's nothing written into the Constitution that says "No treaty shall supercede any Article or Amendment", or something to that effect. IIRC, our Constitution does have that.
Correct - but it allows US courts to enforce the treaty in our land... It's not that the U.N. or other country can prosecute anyone...but DC could use this treaty as an method.

There are many reviews of this issue...but it opens to many doors..of possible obligated behavior as opposed constitutional enforcement.

This is a good read... http://www.harvardlawreview.org/media/pdf/vazquez.pdf

There are many more... http://www.harvardlawreview.org/issu...rticle_267.php

This one discusses how treaties are implemented by domestic law. It's not the first time the 2nd amendment has come under fire...this just gives our congress more ammunition (pun intended and more coming) to take another shot at our freedoms.

Can a treaty supersede our constitution? No... but domestic implementation can place treaty items into the law of our land which is enforceable in our land.

Let's not the USA Patriot Act which was passed to protect us. Many people much smarter than me still believe there is the ability for government privacy violation overreach allowed in the law. It's the baby steps of taking away our freedoms that I fear.
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #703  
Old 08-04-2012, 02:40 PM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorczak1 View Post
Correct - but it allows US courts to enforce the treaty in our land... It's not that the U.N. or other country can prosecute anyone...but DC could use this treaty as an method.

There are many reviews of this issue...but it opens to many doors..of possible obligated behavior as opposed constitutional enforcement.

This is a good read... http://www.harvardlawreview.org/media/pdf/vazquez.pdf

There are many more... http://www.harvardlawreview.org/issu...rticle_267.php

This one discusses how treaties are implemented by domestic law. It's not the first time the 2nd amendment has come under fire...this just gives our congress more ammunition (pun intended and more coming) to take another shot at our freedoms.

Can a treaty supersede our constitution? No... but domestic implementation can place treaty items into the law of our land which is enforceable in our land.

Let's not the USA Patriot Act which was passed to protect us. Many people much smarter than me still believe there is the ability for government privacy violation overreach allowed in the law. It's the baby steps of taking away our freedoms that I fear.
A treaty can't literally supercede the Constitution but, as added after my original post, if the US enters into a treaty, it becomes part of the Law of The Land.

The best thing people can do is know what can and can't be used against them.
Reply With Quote
  #704  
Old 08-04-2012, 02:57 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 11,403
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
A treaty can't literally supercede the Constitution but, as added after my original post, if the US enters into a treaty, it becomes part of the Law of The Land.

The best thing people can do is know what can and can't be used against them.
I am with you... unfortunately too many people don't know what is important and just listen to the goofy attack ads in election years and make choices based upon political mud-slinging and empty promises....
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #705  
Old 08-04-2012, 03:33 PM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorczak1 View Post
I am with you... unfortunately too many people don't know what is important and just listen to the goofy attack ads in election years and make choices based upon political mud-slinging and empty promises....
Well, if people would stop dropping out of school, they might have a chance of knowing that the he!! is going on, why they should support themselves and learn to think.

This will end badly.
Reply With Quote
  #706  
Old 08-04-2012, 03:40 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 11,403
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Well, if people would stop dropping out of school, they might have a chance of knowing that the he!! is going on, why they should support themselves and learn to think.

This will end badly.
Well said JimN.
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #707  
Old 08-04-2012, 04:24 PM
SkiDog's Avatar
SkiDog SkiDog is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 92 Prostar
Location: South of North
Posts: 7,239
Here's a real eye opener!


http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/EW5IdwltaAc?rel=0
Reply With Quote
  #708  
Old 08-07-2012, 01:01 PM
captain planet's Avatar
captain planet captain planet is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 5,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDog View Post
Great post SkiDog.
__________________
1998 ProStar 190 30th Anniversary, Corvette LT-1, STARS AND STRIPES BABY (with a really bad bimini)!!!!!!** * Footin' anyone?
RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Reply With Quote
  #709  
Old 08-08-2012, 08:44 AM
SkiDog's Avatar
SkiDog SkiDog is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 92 Prostar
Location: South of North
Posts: 7,239
Here's one that got my blood boiling today!
Terrorist That Killed 5 US Soldiers Freed After Obama Refuses To Put Him in Gitmo
8/7/12

Ali Mussa Daqduq killed tortured and killed 5 US soldiers in Iraq back in 2007. He was detained by the United States.

Instead of sending him to Gitmo, Obama turned him over to the Iraqi authorities. But to Obama's surprise (not ours), Iraq freed him.

Judicial Watch via Breitbart:

But President Obama didn’t want to remove the terrorist from Iraq without permission from the country, in order not to violate its sovereignty. He also refused to take Daqduq to the U.S. Naval base in Guantanamo Cuba, which houses other high-value terrorists, because the facility is an anathema in the Middle East and Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki would not approve the “unacceptable” Guantanamo option.

So Obama handed Daqduq over to the Iraqis even though several members of congress pointed out that it would be the same as freeing him. Apparently, Iraq pinky promised to hold him accountable for murdering our soldiers. No one, probably not even Obama, really believed that and this week a national newswire story confirmed it.

Obama wants to claim he supports the troops? That he values their service? But why doesn't he value their lives? Why doesn't he seek justice when 5 US service members lose their lives to a terrorist? Hey President, where's the apology to the United States people for this unfathomable error you made?


Read more at http://www.reagancoalition.com/artic...dK8vck5fThL.99
Reply With Quote
  #710  
Old 08-08-2012, 12:39 PM
captain planet's Avatar
captain planet captain planet is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 5,644
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...cense-to-spill
__________________
1998 ProStar 190 30th Anniversary, Corvette LT-1, STARS AND STRIPES BABY (with a really bad bimini)!!!!!!** * Footin' anyone?
RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:18 PM.