Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 04-13-2014, 09:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Illinois "Handfree" communication law.

I wanted to start a thread about this topic. HB1247
http://ilga.gov/legislation/publicac...?Name=098-0506

Since I believe holding a phone in your hand TO TALK (not text) is just as safe as driving with a Monster Energy drink in your hands while driving. One hand is occupied in both cases. Except with one its directly in front of your face and the other is on the side of your head.

NOTE D9
(9) a driver using an electronic communication device by pressing a single button to initiate or terminate a voice communication; or
Now this law is nearly unenforceable due to this line. Although I have heard of a few people actually being stopped for being on their phones and were left with warnings. This particular line can save your butt from a ticket. Because there is absolutely no way they can prove you didn't only use one button. Lets say you receive a phone call, and you press one button "Answer" and then let the call expire when done. You have complied with the law. Now if you get stopped; you may have dialed the 10 digits to get through, but unless they physically seeing you do that, they can not arrest you (ticket) for it.

As you can see, logically I could not wrap my head around this law.

So, I just picked up the new HTC One M8 and it is very good. Perfect for business and it has a ton of great features.

Not to mention a true 18 hours battery life. The first "real" all day battery. Yesterday was my first day, intensive data, intensive browsing, photos, uploading, phone calls, emails and texts all day from a very busy business owner, It didn't hit a low spot until after 18 hours and then had a battery saver mode that could add 5-6 more hours of on time.

I can say the phone is a little bigger than the M7 but it is surprisingly more comfortable in your hand.

With the new HTC One M8 you can avoid the new "handsfree laws" with one touch dialing. Meaning, in order to place a call you only have to swipe the turned off phone's screen to make a call. Then just talk to it. Illinois handsfree law states that IF you make a call that is started and ended with one button or less then you are legal. A simple swipe on the blank black screen and then by voice tell the phone who you want to call. Then when the call is over simply let the other user end the call. LEGAL! The M8's swipe feature enables you to actually show the cop you complied. Not that old "non smart" phones don't already have one touch preset speed dialing and you could still use that excuse.

Here's a pretty good write up on the phone: http://www.geek.com/review/review-ht...ne-m8-1589686/

Let me know, and others know, what device you have, and how you feel you could comply. Or at least make sure your story complies when you flawlessly execute your cover story to said enforcement officers.

Anyways, if you see someone texting on their phone while driving, PLEASE, honk at them and let them see you are not cool with it.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Interesting paper suggests that texting makes you 23 times more likely to be in an accident, and appears to show that talking on a cell phone makes you 0.4 times as likely to be in an accident.

I don't know how to interpret that. I drive a lot every day, and I will say that there are certain people who simply should not talk while they're driving. Others appear to handle it just fine - I like to put myself in the latter category - but then, we all know that if asked, 80% of drivers will say that they are above-average.

/frank
Old 04-13-2014, 12:17 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
I've seen reports that say you're more likely to get in an accident while texting then you are driving drunk.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Interesting paper suggests that texting makes you 23 times more likely to be in an accident, and appears to show that talking on a cell phone makes you 0.4 times as likely to be in an accident.

I don't know how to interpret that. I drive a lot every day, and I will say that there are certain people who simply should not talk while they're driving. Others appear to handle it just fine - I like to put myself in the latter category - but then, we all know that if asked, 80% of drivers will say that they are above-average.

/frank
Thats interesting and all. But @ 285 pages, I'll pass.

That said, texting is bad and I only briefly wanted to mention it. To stay on topic, this is more about informing people in Illinois what they need to tell the po po if they are told they were stopped for talking on their phone in a traditional hand held manner.

The point I bring up is most new smart phones don't comply or can't comply. Usually because of the necessity to input pin numbers to unlock, power button to activate screen for out dialing and usually even a follow up swipe.

This leaves most Illinois smart phone users the only acceptable answer: It was a received phone call, for which you pressed the answer button and then let the call expire when you noticed you were being stopped. That would be in most cases the only acceptable response.

However!!! now a cop in Illinois can also take your phone from you and investigate if they believe you were using your phone in a manner that was illegal. Making you surrender your phone to police so they can search history for texts etc. Now this is most commonly practiced after an accident ... but cops are cops, and they, like us non cops, are all different and have their own bad days.

I mentioned my new phones default gesture ability to swipe down the screen and be immediately connected to the voice prompt. I'm not sure what other devices have this capability.

I just want to help people be prepared to have the right response.

I don't want to brag but I am very good at handling the police. I'm not going to go deep into my methods but I am usually left with a pleasant experience and a warning ticket. You need to have your story straight before it happens.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-9 2001
Just get a high quality headset, such as a Bose Mobile head set, and don't worry about it. It makes lisenting and speaking so much easier.

We have a similar law in California. Pretty hard to fight when you caught and the phone records clearly show you were on the phone at the time of the pull over.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:13 PM

Boat: 06 X30
While driving, I'm far more distracted by talking on the phone then I am when taking a drink of water/coffee.

I don't text while driving but I do still take calls while driving. If my wife is with me I just hand her the phone.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Woohoo for SYNC!
Old 04-13-2014, 09:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 mastercraft prostar 190
addicted phone users

When you get behind the wheel, SHUT THE PHONE OFF AND DRIVE!!!! Too many idjits driving down the freeways at 80 mph talking, or texting and not paying attention. Do you realize how much ground you cover in a second? You are piloting a ton and a half missle down a road filled with other people, drive, don't talk.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster02 View Post
When you get behind the wheel, SHUT THE PHONE OFF AND DRIVE!!!! Too many idjits driving down the freeways at 80 mph talking, or texting and not paying attention. Do you realize how much ground you cover in a second? You are piloting a ton and a half missle down a road filled with other people, drive, don't talk.
Can't shut it off- radio here sucks and I use my iPhone to listen to Pandora. Once it's playing, I rarely touch it, unless it's a song a hate or I'm at a stop.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:34 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Blue tooth is for sure the way to go.

With that said, some people should not even drive........period!