Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 10-16-2014, 09:35 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1989 Tristar 190, Indmar 351, 250HP
Any of you have old Supra experience?

So a buddy of mine decided he wanted an inboard. He was nosing around my Tristar a few weeks ago asking questions. This past weekend I show up to the lake and see an old Supra at his dock. A 1985 Comp TS6m to be exact. Apparently he paid $2500 for the thing.

First, in my opinion, it is quite an attractive hull design. It seems smaller and narrower than my 190 and definitely sits lower in the water. Now, it is apparent that this boat sat for a while before he got it. Idles like crap, backfiring, painfully slow out of the hole, etc. He has done nothing maintenance wise since it's delivery. I gave him a list of things to take care of before next year.

Decided to try to take it for a ski and board run, against better judgment...(at least we all had charged cell phones for help and a tow back if we needed it!

I drove first and it was a pretty frustrating experience. This boat does not track for crap! With my boat, I don't care who is back there, I do not need to make much correction to track straight. This thing was all over the place! Literally, when the rider would go from one side of the boat to the other, I would almost turn the wheel 270 degrees to try to keep the boat tracking straight. With each cut, the boat would pull hard in that direction. Is this normal with this hull design?! I know this hull pulled tournaments back in the day. Theoretically, it should be a better tracking boat, right? On the other hand, it handled corners very well.

Decent boarding wake, with four people in boat. Decent size and lip enabled me to get some good pop for what it is and the size of the boat.

Slalom wake had huge, hard rooster tail. Scary even. When I am coming across the wake at speed, I do not want to be airborne on a ski. It seemed there was no way to cut through this thing! Changed speeds, changed rope lengths, still there. Better a little further back, but wow. Again, wondering if this is normal for this hull.

I'm curious if any of you might have had one of these back in the day and could give a few words, good bad or indifferent.

Basically, I am very glad it is not my boat. It makes me appreciate what I have much more!!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Couple of my buddies have that exact boat, they seem like a pretty decent boat. I've drove both of them and didn't really notice any tracking problems.

Like you said they have a decent boarding wake with some weight.

I've been in each of then maybe 2x so I can't comment a whole lot on it..

Now that I have my star we never even take their boats to the lake
Old 10-16-2014, 09:52 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '08 X14 sold, 1993 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
I had an '89 ... No problems like that ... Wake was harder and bigger than a 190 but not like that
Old 10-16-2014, 09:58 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Seems like that boat has some problems with those sorts of issues. Lots of people love the comps, and it even received towboat of the year at one point in its life I believe. Should direct him over to the Supra/Moomba forums so he can get some help there. Moomba boards are much more active than Supra forums, which is why you fellas get to deal with me all the time here.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:33 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
How is the floor? How are the stringers? All wood until the early 90s in Supra. Check the wake plate on the transom and adjust it down. That ought to knock down the wake a bit. My wife's cousin used to have an 86. Her brother has a 99 Comp. Decent boats, but require some tweaking to get the slalom wake manageable.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:05 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1989 Tristar 190, Indmar 351, 250HP
Thanks for the feedback! The first thing I told him was to get ready for some maintenance. Second thing I said was to go join the Supra/Moomba forum. The information I have found here has been invaluable on more than one occasion. The good part about a forum like this, is that the possibility of having knowledge of another brand is pretty high. That's why I figured that it couldn't hurt to ask.

From walking all through the boat, the floor was very solid. I had the engine cover up and was poking around in there to see what I could see and could see no evidence of issues with the stringers, but I didn't start wrenching on the bolts either. (also makes me glad mine aren't wood!)

I noticed there are quite a few differences with the PCM vs Indmar 351. I thought I could help him out with a spare impeller, but pretty quickly realized that was not the case. Lucky for him, the gauge stayed in a decent range, but I told him he better purchase a few anyway.

Just spoke to the owner and he told me that it is off to storage for the winter. Not sure if he is going to have the garage there do the maintenance over the winter or he'll do it in the spring. I'm sure I'll get to mess with it a bit too as he has a ton of questions, just as I did when I first got my Tristar.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:15 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by damaged442 View Post
I drove first and it was a pretty frustrating experience. This boat does not track for crap! With my boat, I don't care who is back there, I do not need to make much correction to track straight. This thing was all over the place! Literally, when the rider would go from one side of the boat to the other, I would almost turn the wheel 270 degrees to try to keep the boat tracking straight. With each cut, the boat would pull hard in that direction. Is this normal with this hull design?!

Decent boarding wake, with four people in boat. Decent size and lip enabled me to get some good pop for what it is and the size of the boat.

Slalom wake had huge, hard rooster tail. Scary even. When I am coming across the wake at speed, I do not want to be airborne on a ski. It seemed there was no way to cut through this thing! Changed speeds, changed rope lengths, still there. Better a little further back, but wow. Again, wondering if this is normal for this hull.

Yes, the boat is a piece of cArp. Yes, that tacking and sh*tty wake are NORMAL for it. There is at least one old Supra owned by someone I know and I VANISH when the owner wants me to drive it. I donít want to drive it. I donít want to ski behind it. And I sure as hell do not want to be seen in it. If it were up to me, Iím put that boat on WOT and run it straight into the shore for the insurance money.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 10-16-2014, 11:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 stars&stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
Yes, the boat is a piece of cArp. Yes, that tacking and sh*tty wake are NORMAL for it. There is at least one old Supra owned by someone I know and I VANISH when the owner wants me to drive it. I don’t want to drive it. I don’t want to ski behind it. And I sure as hell do not want to be seen in it. If it were up to me, I’m put that boat on WOT and run it straight into the shore for the insurance money.
Wow!!!! I dont think you have had that harsh of words about the 81 sea ray
Old 10-16-2014, 11:57 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
It sounds like the boat the op is talking about may need a steering cable if it was not smooth easy steering. The boat Rat is talking about needs one so bad. It also appears that it needs a tune up.

So to follow up with Rats description of the supra he is talking about, well he's pretty much dead on about that particular boat. To add to this mess of laughter, the owner chose not to install a perfect pass. So.........he southern engineers a cruise control (off of an automobile) and rigs it up to work off of a hot glued magnet that is secured to the shaft coupler, simulating a wheel speed sensor. I always ask the guy, how fast were you going, he either gives me two answers, "a comfortable speed" or "3,100 rpm". Either way I too would love to barefoot on a boom next to that boat. The steering is so stiff that once I set a destination point, the wheel would still stay straight without a driver. I would love to jump out and foot and bail out the back safely. Then watch that boat run up the boat ramp and jump in the air like dukes of hazard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 10-16-2014, 12:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by paco_06 View Post
Wow!!!! I dont think you have had that harsh of words about the 81 sea ray
Don't you dare blaspheme the 81 SR - it was an awesome machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Either way I too would love to barefoot on a boom next to that boat. The steering is so stiff that once I set a destination point, the wheel would still stay straight without a driver. I would love to jump out and foot and bail out the back safely. Then watch that boat run up the boat ramp and jump in the air like dukes of hazard.

LMAO! Right into the pretty bridge... maybe with a Kyle super tune it could clear it all the way over and onto the frontage road

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...