Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 06:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Prostar 197 TT
Vacation help please

I am looking for input from the TT family please. We are planning a trip via the USA to somewhere new for us and have been looking at Cancun. My father in-law lives in Houston and we can fly direct from Auckland there. I imagine we would spend a night or two with him then fly from Houston to somewhere nice. I think we want a beach holiday mainly but with options to see a bit of the local culture too. There will be my wife and I and our sons 15 & 17 and we need to consider wheelchair accessibility. This will be in the first two weeks of October (our school holidays).
All comments welcome!

Where is your best recommendation and why? Perhaps there is a better destination??

Last edited by MCKiwi; 07-23-2017 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling more questions
Old 07-23-2017, 07:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
I prefer Puerto Vallarta or Ixtapa to Cancun. If you plan to do nothing but stay on the resort Cancun is still pretty good...outside the resorts never feels safe. Lots in the press here locally lately on either drugged drinks or budget booze with methanol or other contaminants and related crimes/deaths at/in Cancun resorts.

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 07-24-2017, 09:28 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X23 6000GDI (previous boat was 2014 X25) (4 other boats prior, but none MC)
Send a message via Skype™ to Loewen
Cancun all inclusives might be good for your family. I would look at Moon Palace (our personal favorite and very wheel chair accessible). If you are looking for Mexican culture, try Mazatlan and don't stay at an all inclusive. Food on the pacific side of Mexico is unbeatable. El Cid has nice resorts in Mazatlan. Might also look at Cabo San Lucas. Food there is wonderful, just like Mazatlan, but it is more touristy, so not quite as cultural. Mazatlan is definitely doable with fairly flat terrain for wheelchair. Cabo is a lot more hilly if you are trying to walk around town. The local cuisine in both Cabo and Maz is amazing.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:47 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loewen View Post
Cancun all inclusives might be good for your family. I would look at Moon Palace (our personal favorite and very wheel chair accessible). If you are looking for Mexican culture, try Mazatlan and don't stay at an all inclusive. Food on the pacific side of Mexico is unbeatable. El Cid has nice resorts in Mazatlan. Might also look at Cabo San Lucas. Food there is wonderful, just like Mazatlan, but it is more touristy, so not quite as cultural. Mazatlan is definitely doable with fairly flat terrain for wheelchair. Cabo is a lot more hilly if you are trying to walk around town. The local cuisine in both Cabo and Maz is amazing.
Interesting that they use a name coined by the Moors, for a Mexican resort.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1980 Glastron Carlson CVX-16 Deluxe w 1981 Evinrude 140
Gulf of Mexico water, clear and warm as bath water, Pacific ocean, cold, dark, and usually filthy.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Prostar 197 TT
This is valuable help. Thanks so much. Keep it coming!

Last edited by MCKiwi; 07-24-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 197 2006 MCX
Last March we visited The Explorean on the Island of Cozumel which is off the coast of Cancun. We very much enjoyed the resort and the included activities. I thought I'd never stay at an all inclusive but this experience changed my perception. The water is gorgeous and great for all kinds of water activity. We have also been to Cabo which is also wonderful, but I think the ocean is much more accessible in Cozumel.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1980 Glastron Carlson CVX-16 Deluxe w 1981 Evinrude 140
Cozumel, or Isla Mujeres are both much better than Cancun. Both have great beaches on the lee sides of the islands where the water is much calmer, great for snorkeling.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2012 Prostar 197
I'm sure you all knew I'd be along shortly with my opinionated travel blog, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loewen View Post
Cancun all inclusives might be good for your family. I would look at Moon Palace (our personal favorite and very wheel chair accessible).
I do like the Palace resorts, and the last time I went to Cancun was at Moon Palace. Nice resort, crappy green murky sea weady beach. I am sure in the last 20 years since I went, that cannot be changed, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnandburn View Post
Last March we visited The Explorean on the Island of Cozumel which is off the coast of Cancun. We very much enjoyed the resort and the included activities. I thought I'd never stay at an all inclusive but this experience changed my perception. The water is gorgeous and great for all kinds of water activity. We have also been to Cabo which is also wonderful, but I think the ocean is much more accessible in Cozumel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCKiwi View Post
I am looking for input from the TT family please. We are planning a trip via the USA to somewhere new for us and have been looking at Cancun. My father in-law lives in Houston and we can fly direct from Auckland there. I imagine we would spend a night or two with him then fly from Houston to somewhere nice. I think we want a beach holiday mainly but with options to see a bit of the local culture too. There will be my wife and I and our sons 15 & 17 and we need to consider wheelchair accessibility. This will be in the first two weeks of October (our school holidays).
All comments welcome!

Where is your best recommendation and why? Perhaps there is a better destination??
I love love love Cozumel. 14 trips in 27 years (6 in the past 6 yrs), I know the island like a local. That being said, I’m not one to do all inclusives, especially in CZ. The restaurants are way way way too good. I did 3 AIs in Cozumel – Allegro 2x and Secrets 1x and I never will again. In Cozumel, I would look up condo rentals on www.VRBO.com. There are some GREAT condos @ Residencias Reef. They have condos that accommodate large groups also. Plus it is located on beautiful San Francisco Beach, very clear and calm. If you decide on Cozumel, I can give you my own personal guide to it. Where to stay, where to eat, what to avoid, scuba op rec, you name it.

Other locations I can give you advice on: Jamaica, Dominican, Grand Cayman, Providenciales, Ambergris Caye, Roatan, Puerto Rico, Nassau and Maui.

And for the record, I still say Cancun sucks. If you MUST go there, I recommend the Krystal Hotel – the beach is very calm, not that rough Cancun beach that faces east.

Last edited by slalomjunkie; 07-24-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 black mastercraft x15 going on 1700 hrs sold! Upgraded to a 2013 mastercraft xstar 👍
i have done mexico and Hawaii, Mexico is nice but ill do Hawaii any day over mexico especially with kids, we stay in Lahaina maui at the honua kai resort and we love it
Attached Images