Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft, 1998 ProStar 205
Vinyl Record Turntable

I have and old JVC turntable that still works but instead of turning at 33 1/3 rpm it turns at like 29, the Flying Burrito Brothers sound like they are on ludes. I still have a bunch of old vinyl albums that seem to be coming back in popularity and would like to play them.

Does anyone have experience with getting an old turntable reworked and is it really worth it, and if it is where one might look for repair?

Input would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinkyredfoot View Post
I have and old JVC turntable that still works but instead of turning at 33 1/3 rpm it turns at like 29, the Flying Burrito Brothers sound like they are on ludes. I still have a bunch of old vinyl albums that seem to be coming back in popularity and would like to play them.

Does anyone have experience with getting an old turntable reworked and is it really worth it, and if it is where one might look for repair?

Input would be appreciated. Thanks
That's a problem- they used coke.

What model? If it's belt drive, the belt has stretched. Probably a 23.6cm, available on ebay, amazon, The Needle Dr, etc.
Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft, 1998 ProStar 205
It's an old JVC. I do believe it is a belt drive. So you think this will fix the issue? Thanks
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Could very well be the bearing is gummed up too. Disassemble, clean and re-oil to at least rule that out as the problem. If you want to get into vinyl playback inexpensively and reliably look for an entry level Music Hall or Pro-ject table.
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinkyredfoot View Post
It's an old JVC. I do believe it is a belt drive. So you think this will fix the issue? Thanks
I saw JVC, but no model.

If it happens to be a JL-B31, it's direct-drive and it's hard to say what's wrong. mane have a black coating on the underside of the platter with strips that are magnetized. The polarity changes are picked up by what amounts to a tape head in the same way it picks up the signal from a cassette, 8-Track or open reel tape, but the pulses are just used for maintaining accurate speed. I doubt you have a tape head demagnetizer, but demagnetizing the head while the platter is off may help.

Belts are only god for about 5 years, anyway. I saw some on ebay for $8.99, which is less than they sold for when I stopped working for a stereo store in 1988.

If it is direct drive, spin the platter and watch for how long it takes to stop. If it doesn't turn freely and you can easily see it slowing, it could be the bearing. If it's belt drive, remove the rubber mat, slip your finger between the belt and platter to get it off of the motor pulley and platter and remove the platter by pressing down on the spindle and pulling up while your fingers are poking through the holes on either side of the spindle.