Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2011, 01:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007, PS214, MCX 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo87prostar View Post
I bought a Westland brand bimini from Overtons for my 93 prostar about 3 years ago.... and my 87 prostar back when I had it. both were very good for what i needed. Depends on how much you want to spend and your requirements. Decide which fabric - Sunbrella is very good. Decide what type and size frame you want - aluminum or stainless steel. Stainless is more expensive than aluminum. Mine has sunbrella fabric with aluminum frame. Also, do you want bars or straps holding it in place. Base on the caliber of your boat I would recommend Sunbrella, stainless, bars; and preferably a Mastercraft one. You should be able to get one from a dealer but not sure. You also need to define the height if you do not buy a MC one. Generally on the tournament ski boats 30 inch height is typical. some cut them lower and some like higher.
Great Feedback everyone. Thanks. Regarding straps...do they vibrate much in the wind? Whereas the bars would be preferred? Also, with respect to height...I"m 6'4" and was considering a Bimini height of 46". Do most tournament boats really go with 36" or less? Seems awfully low. But then again I don't really want a "sail" either. Thoughts????
Old 06-07-2011, 01:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
I don't want to make my own ... I just want to buy the replacement fabric with snaps/zippers that fits the frame ... I just don't know what size it should be to be taught (tight) and not floppy.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
The bimini was the best investment for my boat, no question... It looks great IMO, in fact, my boat now looks naked with out it. Mine is 32" high, mounted about an inch below the windshield frame.
Mine is a Westland, Sunbrella. I tow it to the ramp @ 35mph with it up, and it holds fine at WOT in the boat. about 43-44. and only sways side to side maybe an inch or two under harsh bumps or waves. I never put it down hardly.

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?
Old 06-07-2011, 01:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '96 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauti-dreamer View Post
Great Feedback everyone. Thanks. Regarding straps...do they vibrate much in the wind? Whereas the bars would be preferred? Also, with respect to height...I"m 6'4" and was considering a Bimini height of 46". Do most tournament boats really go with 36" or less? Seems awfully low. But then again I don't really want a "sail" either. Thoughts????
On this note....first day out with mine I kept looking for the P-51 flying overhead until I realized that one of my straps was vibrating in the wind. Tightened it up and it no longer has this problem.
Acme 541
PerfectPass Stargazer Wakeboard Edition
Old 06-08-2011, 03:35 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Took the orig bimini on my 190 to an upholstery shop (PO mounted it backwards and then cut a X shaped hole in it for the fly high pole!). Got it re-done in Sharkskin with a zip up cover for about $150.
For a newer boat with a tower, I'd probably go OE MC, but I haven't priced one. They sure do mount/store nicely but for all I know you might be able to get 2-3 custom biminis for teh same price!
www.towerbimins.com does AWESOME work for custom biminis. Not cheap by any means, $800 for my Prostar with 2 colors sewn in and all the hard mounting hardware for the tower, but worth it, IMO.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 06-08-2011, 03:41 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Brand new 01 X10
What are the hard frame (permanent) style biminis called? Best place to buy?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

I ended up ordering a full frame bimini from Ameri-Brand Products. Updgraded with stainless hardware. it will be 2 weeks before I see it and install. i will post pics when done with feedback. I opted for the less expensive route because people I've talked to say you'll use for really hot days and for little kids but other than that it doesn't see much action. We'll see. I couldn't justify $1000 from the dealer. I paid just under half of that.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Brand new 01 X10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
What are the hard frame (permanent) style biminis called? Best place to buy?

Old 06-10-2011, 01:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-Star, 1999, LTR
I ordered one from GMI Top Design (http://www.gmitopdesign.com) last year and have been pleased with it. Good price on a sunbrella top shipped to my door. Fairly easy to install.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Installed ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauti-dreamer View Post
I ended up ordering a full frame bimini from Ameri-Brand Products. Updgraded with stainless hardware. it will be 2 weeks before I see it and install. i will post pics when done with feedback. I opted for the less expensive route because people I've talked to say you'll use for really hot days and for little kids but other than that it doesn't see much action. We'll see. I couldn't justify $1000 from the dealer. I paid just under half of that.
Finally received the Bimini top and got it installed.

Tags
bimini, bimini top, prostar 214