Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-06-2011, 04:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2008 x15
stereo troubles on 08 x15

Just got a 2008 X15. Having some stereo issues. the two cabin speakers are not working. Have been playing with the amp settings (sum discreet) hooking up the RCA's multiple ways and not having much luck. The front bow speakers sound great as well as the towers and the sub. Just can't get the main two to play. Does anyone have a pic or know how the two amps are supposed to be hooked up from the factory? I have the 6 channel amp that runs the boat speakers and the sub. And another 2 channel amp that runs the tower speakers. It all looks factory as far as I can tell. Was hoping for some help as to where to start to chase it down.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 06-06-2011, 05:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-15, 350 HP
I thought factory was the 6 channel amp running ALL speakers and the other amp runs the sub? I have an 08 X-15 also but quickly took mine to Cartoys and had the audio system beefed up.

Did the main speakers EVER work, since you've owned the boat or is this a new thing you've noticed?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:42 PM
TT Newbie

Have only had the boat a couple of weeks. Didn't work when I got them. Something could have come loose during shipping. I printed out the manuals for the amps and the head unit and hope I can figure it out this weekend. After reading them, I have a much better idea of where to look.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X45
I'd try switching the bow speaker wires with the cabin speaker wires to make sure that channel is working on the amp
Old 06-20-2011, 11:13 PM
TT Newbie

Bad news, bought a new pair of cockpit speakers through a dealer friend. Hooked up the first one to the left cockpit location and all was well. Hooked up the right one down by drivers foot and when I turned the stereo on there was no sound and the speaker started smoking. I immediately turned it off. Don't know what to do now. I assume that the amp has a bad (really bad channel) I spoke with JL Audio tech support and they said amp could be cooked on that channel. Taking a meter to check out what is coming out of the amp vs. a good channel next. Hoping that the speaker might still work? Probably will parallel the bow and cockpit speakers on the 1st two channels and just skip the 3 and 4 channels. Any advice would be great if you have had the same issues.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:19 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdheffner1 View Post
Bad news, bought a new pair of cockpit speakers through a dealer friend. Hooked up the first one to the left cockpit location and all was well. Hooked up the right one down by drivers foot and when I turned the stereo on there was no sound and the speaker started smoking. I immediately turned it off. Don't know what to do now. I assume that the amp has a bad (really bad channel) I spoke with JL Audio tech support and they said amp could be cooked on that channel. Taking a meter to check out what is coming out of the amp vs. a good channel next. Hoping that the speaker might still work? Probably will parallel the bow and cockpit speakers on the 1st two channels and just skip the 3 and 4 channels. Any advice would be great if you have had the same issues.
Set the meter to DC Voltage. If you see more than a few 10/1000mV (it may show .001 or .0015mV), that channel has a problem, either because of an internal setting (DC offset) or the output transistor is bad.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:37 PM
TT Newbie

Is it worth getting a damaged amp repaired? or just replace? How about the speaker- any chance it will still work?