Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-03-2011, 08:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Brand new 01 X10
Alpine/Kicker system going in this weekend!

Alright! I finally have all of my equipment and I couldnt be more excited!

For starters I went with Alpines CDA 188M

I have always been an Alpine fan and the fact that my X10 has a 1.5 din HU slot on the dash made this a no-brainer! I also wanted bow, and transom remotes but didnt want to cut into the boat. Alpine offers a waterproof bluetooth remote that can be used up to 50 feet away. I purchased 3 and will place one on the bow, one on the transom, and one will be sucured to my riders board shorts. This way the rider can dial in the volume on the tower speakers to his or her liking. The rider can scroll through songs as well. This head unit also controls multiple zones separately so I can dial in the tower volume separate from the cabin speakers, and easily turn them on and off. I also added Serious Radio modules.

For amps and speakers I went through my good friend at Slangin Car Audio here in Phoenix for a complete Kicker system!

A ZX1000.1 will drive 1 10" Kicker L7 Solobaric in a sealed downfiring box behind the observers seat. Depending on the sound, I may end up slotting the fiberglass in the walkway to let the sound out..... We'll see. I would hate to do that. I was going to put the sub under the dash but we simply didnt have the room without cutting out all of my leg room.

For the cabin I went with Kickers ZX650.4 to power 2 pairs of Kicker KM6200 marine co-axial speakers.

For the tower, another ZX650.4 to power Kickers KMT60's

And to power it all, 2 brand new Optima blue top batteries!

I'm so excited I could chit myself! lol

I will post pics and updates throughout the weekend!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
nice. Not sure what distance you ride at, but 50ft range would still be missing 25 ft for me. Also, id imagine one hard fall and there goes the remote.

How come co-axial speakers and not components. I have not heard the 6200 but im wondering if you will drown them out with the bass from the sub.

I also see the tower speakers keep claiming 50ft?? Seems a bit odd as they are targeting wakeboarders.

Keep the pictures coming!

Where are you mounting the amps? How are you connecting the batteries? Isolator?
Old 06-03-2011, 09:26 PM
MC Fanatic

The remotes cost me $36. If one breaks from a fall, oh well.

Kicker claims you can "live loud" at 50 feet. Perhaps they should have said, audible up to 75. I read all the reviews I could find from wake boarders and they all seemed to be impressed with this speaker set.

I find it funny that on the link Kicker calls the tower a "roll bar" lol
Old 06-03-2011, 09:28 PM
MC Fanatic

With any luck all three amps will fit side by side on the front side of the speaker box. Crossing fingers on that one...... And I didnt want to go with components due to having to put holes in the boat to mount the tweeters. Kinda thinking I will take the system with me when I upgrade boats...... The vent, or port that I might put in the walkway will be very subtle and hopefully look reletively OEM....
Old 06-03-2011, 10:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 205 SD, 1999, 330hp
That's sweet! I am waiting on my all kicker gear to come in next week, didn't go as hardcore as you but I will have:

ZXM700.5 powering 4 x 6200's and a sub (10" Pioneer Premier that I had already)
ZXM350.4 powering 2 x KMT60's

I was going to go with regular Kicker amps but went with the Marine stuff, it was really really cheap (30% below dealer cost) so no biggie if I have to upgrade.

Will be interesting to see what you think of the sound on the KMT60's with 325W @ 4ohm compared to me with only 175W.

I also went with the co-ax because on my 99 PS205 it would have been a pain to install tweeters so this keeps it more factory.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:17 PM
MC Fanatic

First hurdle!

I went and got some silver vinyl that matches the "x series" dash and will stick it down under the headunit to cover the screw holes!
Old 06-04-2011, 03:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft PS190 1988 351
Lookin' good so far. Keep us posted with lots of pix!
Old 06-04-2011, 05:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Well, I'm not thrilled with my temporary fix. I guess it will work for now. I'm going to have my friend waterjet me a piece of aluminum or carbon fiber for a backing plate in the next few weeks......

Old 06-04-2011, 05:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Old 06-06-2011, 02:11 AM
MC Fanatic

Its been a long weekend! Finally 95% done!

I'm 100% satisfied with the highs and tower speakers. They're insanely loud! However, not so wild about the subwoofer location. With the observer seat opem, this thing rocks. Crazy loud. With the seat closed it muffles the sound and just shakes the boat. Not a lot of audible bass. In the weeks to come, I will move it around and reevaluate what I want to do with it. All in all I'm pretty damn happy!