Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 06-03-2011, 10:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
You talked about a bimmer. I own three of them currently -- two are two door. Actually I'm looking to get an SUV so I can eventually get a MC to tow with it. With the business I've recently gotten into (residential property management) I do get occasional remarks about the cars that lead me to believe that they might not be the best image to project in that and other businesses. They're not negative remarks per se, but they're the type of thing somebody might say who thinks a bimmer is an expensive car with a high cost of continued ownership. For the record, the youngest of mine is 14 years old (and I maintain them myself and save a lot of money), but you wouldn't know that by looking at condition, and neither do my tenants or prospective tenants. So I'd say, especially if you are an investments guy with older, conservative clients and the vehicle will be your work vehicle, the bimmer image is one I would try to avoid, b/c it's not a conservative image, and that could tick off some of your clients.

Last edited by strad; 06-03-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:30 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
^^

That is true, but I get comments when I roll up to clients in my 06 15K Chevy Cobalt more then in my 35K 04 GMC Sierra SLT. Go figure... I actually had one guy ask if he was paying for my "new" (3 years old then) Cobalt, I then asked him, "What do you want me to drive? A car that might break down on my way here so you will be stuck on your computer?" He shut up after that.

You cannot please everyone.

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?
Old 06-03-2011, 01:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
My clients are all 65+. I don't know what opinions that they will create with a 3/4 ton or a tahoe.
Then you should buy a Buick or Town Car. You would fit in perfect with your clients!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X55,LSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooSPX View Post
^^

That is true, but I get comments when I roll up to clients in my 06 15K Chevy Cobalt more then in my 35K 04 GMC Sierra SLT. Go figure... I actually had one guy ask if he was paying for my "new" (3 years old then) Cobalt, I then asked him, "What do you want me to drive? A car that might break down on my way here so you will be stuck on your computer?" He shut up after that.

You cannot please everyone.
I would have said of course not, you are paying for my 911 Turbo at home.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: SOLD 2007 X1
Two options as far as I can see:

#1 - (already suggested). F150, Ecoboost, King Ranch, Crew, 4x4. You are from Texas and showing up to an appointment in a very nice pickup speaks volumes more than showing up in a BMW. Being from the South, I would rather buy from a guy in a King Ranch than a guy in a BMW - and yes, I have owned a BMW and my wife drives nothing but Audi's (currently A5 - the two door coupe). The Stanford Group (Investment people that are either in jail or going to jail) guys all drove BMW and Mercedes and you dont want to look like them - they were from Texas.

#2 - Keep the old truck for hauling tools and junk around and get an SUV

The only wrench you through into the mix is the big boats. So if you are going to haul big boats long distances in hilly terrain then you really need 3/4 or 1 ton diesel but those things are not easy to manuever and park so if you are doing a lot of work in the city then that is an issue.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
The problem with the cadillac is that it costs way too much to own compared to similar vehicles. A prime example would be the Sierra Denali... Same 6.2l engine, same heated and cooled leather etc etc.... Every option you can get in a Escalade, can be had in a Sierra Denali except HID headlamps. Which you can have installed for less than $500.00. The sierra is also a lot more capable for towing and has a larger bed. And the best part is that the Sierra Denali costs $20k less than the Escalade EXT. I dont understand how GM can justify a 20k upcharge for that..... Not to mention that the Caddy will depreciate a lot worse.

That being said, the EXT is a very nice ride.

When you are talking the SUV version of the Escalade, that is a different story. The SUV is not priced too far out of this world compared to the competition. The EXT, however, is.
You have some good points. But I was talking about buying a low mileage used one. There's tons of them out there. And the Sierra Denali is a great option too. The OP just mentioned he liked the bed storage of his avalanche, which the EXT also has.

Buying anything brand new that's domestic will greatly depriciate. Especially up here in the north.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:53 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 X-45
I have a 2000 suburban 1500 4x4 with the 5.3 liter 410 gears with auto ride. I towed a Baja 272 for 7 years and now a X-45. Just turned 175,000 and run great. Oil changed every 3000-4000 miles trans flushed every 30,000-40,000 all original. Maintenance is the key.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulioX2 View Post
You have some good points. But I was talking about buying a low mileage used one. There's tons of them out there. And the Sierra Denali is a great option too. The OP just mentioned he liked the bed storage of his avalanche, which the EXT also has.

Buying anything brand new that's domestic will greatly depriciate. Especially up here in the north.
Ya, Buying a used EXT is another story, and a very good option. And the bed storage is certainly a bonus.

As far as depreciation of domestic trucks- I have been very surprised lately. The used truck market seems very strong. I purchased my 08 Sierra Denali in sept 07. I put 86k miles on it by the time I traded in Nov 2010. I was offered $28,700.00 at one dealer and $30,050 at another.......For a truck that cost me $42k brand new. I walked in expecting the same old "Those things are a rock, we can only give you $18k" story that I have grown accustomed to in the past.... I was very happy that it only cost me 4k per year to own that truck. The last one cost me around 7k per year for 3 years of ownership.

I was looking at prices on a lot of used trucks out there....They are very high right now.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskie05 View Post
I would have said of course not, you are paying for my 911 Turbo at home.
Com' On! Get it right! I would have said "You're paying for my GT3R 911 Turbo"
LMAO!!

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:10 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I have an '07 GMC Yukon XL Denali....great vehicle, tows well but mpg is not so good. (10 towing hwy, 15-16 solo hwy). If Gm made a DuraMax suburban I would buy one today.

Have you seen the new GMC Denali pickup with the Duramax/Allison trans? Sweet truck!
4 door, short bed and you could install a locking fiberglass lid for it to keep your items secure. From the front it looks like a Yukon Denali, and it has all the luxury items of one.
I priced it out at around $50K with all the options, plus you're using it for work (at least part of the time) so if you're self-employed it's a partial business deduction for you.

http://www.gmc.com/sierra/denali.html