Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Kyle's Avatar
Kyle Kyle is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Location: Fort Worth, TEXAS
Posts: 3,164
Tow Vehicle

I need a new tow vehicle. Currently I have an '02 chevy avalanche bought 6 yrs ago with 25k miles and currently it has 215k on it. It rides nice but tows like it has a pair of pink panties on. It does not have air assist so the coil springs make it squat like I have a few fat girls under the bed cover.

I absolutely love the bed cover on the avalanche as it comes off quick and I can have a truck bed or a trunk. Most of the time there is valuables under the bed cover that get hauled around.

Ok here is my question. Do I keep the avalanche and buy a car or suv or sell and get a new tow rig.

The car would be along the lines of a BMW or Infinity 2 door sports car being in financial business a challenger srt would probably not be the greatest idea.

The suv would be along the lines of an tahoe ltz

I can't haul tools, lawn equipment, or anything dirty in the suv or car so a truck would be needed too. Yes suv would be used to haul the boat.


A new truck would be along the lines of a chevy or ford 1/2 ton Texas edition ltz or a king ranch. Im not really liking the idea of not being able to leave items in the truck bed. No I do not want a bed cover on a pick up. I think they are a pain to roll up, slide off, in bolt, etc. That style of cover will not be like my current secure cover.

I have also considered a newer avalanche ltz but the tow haul scares me.

My truck is very tired as I have been gasing the rods since I bought her.

Btw I haul a 25' Baja outlaw at times and have considered buying a 27' fountain boat. I have hauled 27' and 25' bajas with my current 1/2 ton avalanche but she is straining somewhat.

I don't want to afford a 3/4 diesel either.

Is 4x4 a plus. Ive never had the need for 4x4 but think it may be cool. I have no clue what to get. I hate car salesmen and especially finance guys. I would rather scratch a tigers jewels than deal with the bs lies those guys come up with.

Help me with ideas for a new ride. Thanks
__________________
Rollin' Gangsta Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-02-2011, 07:32 PM
j.mccreight@hotmail.com's Avatar
j.mccreight@hotmail.com j.mccreight@hotmail.com is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,126
The new ford eco boost is a bad boy, v6 economy v8 power when needed, the max towing is like 10k pounds depends on how its equiped and 22mpg, if I was looking to replace my current lariat I would buy this new setup...
__________________
James

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-02-2011, 07:44 PM
mikey.145's Avatar
mikey.145 mikey.145 is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X45
Location: South
Posts: 41
I was towing my X45 with an 08' Tundra she had some issues pulling at highway speeds and would spin out the tires at every other boat ramp.
If your thinking about bigger boats the diesel may be the way to go, I found a 05' F250 with 58,000 miles for 25k it had the less desirable 6.0 engine but after a couple mods and computer updates it should run like a clock.
Anyway in my opinion once you pass around a 7000lbs trailer/boat weight the diesel is the only way to go and there are good deals out there on used diesels. Be careful though there are allot of ragged out pieces of junk out there to so educate yourself a little before going down the that road! Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Kyle's Avatar
Kyle Kyle is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Location: Fort Worth, TEXAS
Posts: 3,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.145 View Post
I was towing my X45 with an 08' Tundra she had some issues pulling at highway speeds and would spin out the tires at every other boat ramp.
If your thinking about bigger boats the diesel may be the way to go, I found a 05' F250 with 58,000 miles for 25k it had the less desirable 6.0 engine but after a couple mods and computer updates it should run like a clock.
Anyway in my opinion once you pass around a 7000lbs trailer/boat weight the diesel is the only way to go and there are good deals out there on used diesels. Be careful though there are allot of ragged out pieces of junk out there to so educate yourself a little before going down the that road! Good luck
Don't get me wrong I want a deisel but can't find one for a reasonable price that doesn't have 200k on it.

F250 king ranch is what I really want but the prices are too high.

What scares me to death is I have been through 2 transmissions in my truck and I'm on #3.

Like I said I gas the rods in my vehicles. I've had 4 chevy 1/2 ton trucks and none of them have been able to keep a transmission in them none of them. Kinda tired of vehicles not lasting.
__________________
Rollin' Gangsta Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Kyle's Avatar
Kyle Kyle is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Location: Fort Worth, TEXAS
Posts: 3,164
Btw I don't know the good years of the f250 trucks to look at.

I think a black on black ltz tahoe or avalanche would be sharp with 22" rims.
__________________
Rollin' Gangsta Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 PM
j.mccreight@hotmail.com's Avatar
j.mccreight@hotmail.com j.mccreight@hotmail.com is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,126
Wanna stay away from the 6.0 L at least thats what I've been told from some ford dealership guys...
__________________
James

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 06-02-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-02-2011, 08:31 PM
willyt's Avatar
willyt willyt is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2009
Boat: ER xstar
Location: high in the middle and round on both ends
Posts: 1,814
Have you been in any of the newer GM 1/2 tons? I think they changed their transmission after 06, I have about 70k miles on my 07 Tahoe LTZ with 0 problems. In 07 the 5.3 got 30 more horses too, so she'd be more powerful than your 02.
If you wanted more power could get a Yukon denali which has the 6.2 409 HP engine, and they're super nice.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-02-2011, 08:58 PM
j.mccreight@hotmail.com's Avatar
j.mccreight@hotmail.com j.mccreight@hotmail.com is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,126
Is that an Ilmor in that Yukon...
__________________
James

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-02-2011, 09:30 PM
ctjahn ctjahn is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Boat: Own a 78 MC S&S
Location: Midwest
Posts: 607
F250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Btw I don't know the good years of the f250 trucks to look at.

I think a black on black ltz tahoe or avalanche would be sharp with 22" rims.
I can help if interested....
Cj

05 F250 SD CC LB.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Kyle's Avatar
Kyle Kyle is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Location: Fort Worth, TEXAS
Posts: 3,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
Have you been in any of the newer GM 1/2 tons? I think they changed their transmission after 06, I have about 70k miles on my 07 Tahoe LTZ with 0 problems. In 07 the 5.3 got 30 more horses too, so she'd be more powerful than your 02.
If you wanted more power could get a Yukon denali which has the 6.2 409 HP engine, and they're super nice.
My ex has an 08 tahoe ltz. It pulls a lot nicer and has more power.

Kinda thinking keep my worn out truck and get a tahoe or avalanche. My new vehicle will be a work vehicle for me and needs to be nice. A 3/4 ton is not a vehicle to show up to someones house and take care of their insurance and investments.
__________________
Rollin' Gangsta Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:29 AM.