Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-25-2004, 06:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 05 X-45
Dynamat???

Has anyone here replace the foam under their engine cover with dynamat? My foam is starting to fall off and i'm wondering if replacing it with dynamat would be a good idea.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Triton 176 Mag
You stoled MarkP's dancing bananas!!!! That me know if that works.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:20 PM
MC G

I have been having the same problem so I asked the local MC dealer what they use. They told me 3M #77 spray adhesive. I did this a couple of weeks ago and it appears to be staying however I've only ran the boat twice due to the crap weather we have been having.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 05 X-45
Thanks, i will give that a shot, but will probably dynamat it this winter. I've talked to a local mechanic and he says its much better (sound deadening and heat resistant).
Old 08-25-2004, 11:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Dynamat will fall off as soon as it gets really hot under the motor box. It doesn't need much heat to fall off, either. If that falls onto the hot motor, it's gonna be a big mess, too. They do have a product for under the hood of a car, but if your foam just started falling off, 10 years is pretty good for just some spray glue. There are also some sound deadening materials that spray or brush on. You would need to sand the inside so it's not glossy and gives the deadener something to hold onto.

Super 77 works great, or you could take the motor box cover to an upholstery shop and have them spray the cement they use for vinyl tops and carpeting. If the foam is shredded, they probably have something to replace it with. They may even have a denser foam made specifically for sound deadening.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1994, 350 TBI 308hp.
My in-laws have a Four Winns 200. The foam was coming off inside there and I used the kit out of Overtons for I/O sound proofing. Bought the bigger kit and had a bit left over. 2 years, still sounds quieter and better than the original.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:39 PM
MC Master Poster

I'm kind of surprised it stayed in place. I used some on the bottom of a stainless sink and the first time I had hot water in it, the stuff fell off. And I wiped it with solvent before.

What did Alan do for yours- intake manifold, right?
Old 08-31-2004, 06:07 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
I didn’t even know what this thread was about, “Dynamat” until I looked in.

My foam is starting to come off of the top a little too. I was thinking of trying the 3m stuff but was afraid it would melt the foam. Sounds like I can go for it with confidence. Thanks

Old 08-31-2004, 08:53 PM
MC Master Poster

It doesn't melt the foam. Just sticks to it. If you happen to have any other kind of contact cement, you can brush it on, too.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:14 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Just went down to see what I had on the shelf. No 3M 77 but I do have some contact cement. That 3M stuff is to fun to spray to pass up the chance. And it sticks like crazy too.