Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-31-2011, 02:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Coil for Carbed PCM 351s with electronic ignitions....

Guys,

What coil have you had success with on your boats with this setup. The past owner bypassed the resistor box and ran an unresisted coil which ultimately destroyed the coil this weekend. Running another coil that is internally resisted but I dont have any idea the background since it was used from my local marina.

My boat is suffering from the following...

-Terrible non existent hot starts, run it for more then 5-10mins and shut her off she wont restart.
-choke flap is closing when I dont want it to on morning starts, seems to start just fine when I remove the flame arrestor and hold the flap open.
-no flooding whatsoever, checked the plugs every time and were dry.
-the carb is squirting fuel into the primarys when I pump the throttle, normally 2-3pumps will do it and she fires right up when cold.

Timing is 10 BTDC, plugs are autolite 24s gapped to .034, electronic ignition, operating coil, carb is recent within 2-3years old. Starter is original and loud as hell which I think is my most glaring problem. Going with an Arco unit soon. Battery cables and terminals from battery to soloniod newer, and so is the ground to the starter from solenoid.

What am I missing here, I am paranoid this boat might stall in the middle of the lake and I wont be able to start her.

I have researched alot of threads on this topic but wanted to see if there was anything I was missing.

Thank you.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 05-31-2011, 02:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
When it wont start after running it have you tried taking the flame arrestor off and closing the flap?
Old 05-31-2011, 02:41 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
When it wont start after running it have you tried taking the flame arrestor off and closing the flap?
No only the opposite, halfway closed or more and nothing happens, but as soon as I opened it up full I would get life.

Also note all fuel lines from tank to motor have been replaced in the past 2 years, new fuel filter, new fuel pump ect. Just seems like a gremlin I cant shake but this one has to go.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 05-31-2011, 02:43 PM
MC Maniac

Ahh I read that the choke flap was closing on morning/cold starts?

So in a hot start you open the flap all the way and it will fire off?
Old 05-31-2011, 02:48 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
Ahh I read that the choke flap was closing on morning/cold starts?

So in a hot start you open the flap all the way and it will fire off?
Yes sir!

Think my starter is spinning the motor too slow to generate enough airflow with the flap slightly closed? Just a hunch.

JTR
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 05-31-2011, 02:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Barefoot 190, 89, Indmar 454
Previous owner had the same problem with my boat. He had just picked up a coil from the auto parts store, and after running it a while it would get really hot and the boat would barely start, if at all. I recommend checking with www.skidim.com. I know they have the correct coil.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:53 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03geetee View Post
Yes sir!

Think my starter is spinning the motor too slow to generate enough airflow with the flap slightly closed? Just a hunch.

JTR
??? Odd that your boat is opposite mine. I have a 78 with the 351 and when it does not want to start Hot I close the flap all the way and it fires right up.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

You would benefit from a more modern gear reduction permanent magnet type starter. They are smaller, easier to cool and draw less amps when starting. Skidim has them. My theory is the engine was made to install in a car, where air blows around the starter motor and helps to cool it in between starts. In the boat, it just soaks heat when shut down in the bilge, increasing the amp draw. Your choke is electric, run by an electrically heated coil to operate the choke plate. Kind of divorced from what the engine really needs. You can try to key on and wait for the choke plate to open before engaging the starter. I am thinking about going manual.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
On most carbs you can adjust how much choke you have by loosening the retaining screws and rotating the choke cap.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/images/PDF/42745223.pdf
Old 06-01-2011, 10:21 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 209, 2003, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03geetee View Post
-Terrible non existent hot starts, run it for more then 5-10mins and shut her off she wont restart.
Assuming you have the choke figured out, this could be another coil problem. Is it oil filled and laying on its side?