Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 05-30-2011, 04:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
X-30 ballast for surfing

Anyone running factory ballast on their X-30 and getting a solid wave to surf? This weekend we tried surfing for the first time, but never could get the tension to come off the rope?
Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 230SV
YAH! my budy has an 04, and with both rear bags we can surf eather side, for some reason he is not fond of filling the center, which makes for a very short rideable wave, but it is plenty tall. I have an 00 230sv, which has the same hull, mine came bare, but I built aluminum ballast tanks for each rear side, that are aprox. 440 each, and then just fill the ski locker3/4 full, and have a VERY nice wave!
Old 06-13-2011, 01:10 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 X-30
X-30 surfing

I just bought a 2006 X-30 and tried surfing this past weekend with only factory ballats (1,000 total lbs., I think) and 2 people in boat ... Can't seem to get things adjusted right. Tried no center ballast and people in very back... that just made the boat stand very upright and didn't seem to improve wake. Some people advise that front weight is very important, others say the opposite. Would love to make a decent surf wake without messing with additional sacks, but not sure if its possible. Also, what surf speed is everyone running and trim tab position? Any advice appreciated.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
I'm finally able to surf my X-30 with factory ballast. It's not great, but I can surf without the rope. We run about 11 on the PP with KGB and surf side filled. I have a 350lb bag on the way that we'll use on the surf side to give a bit bigger wave.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:35 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 X-30, MCX
I surf my '06 X-30 regularly with no issues. Port side ballast FULL, center FULL, right side about 1/4 full. Trim tab all the way down. If you get people in the boat, make sure they are on the port side as well. All of that is for a surfer on the port side of the boat...

As for speed, I play with it a little, but I tell my wife to stick to 8-9MPH. Small adjustments up and down, but right in that range.

If you are having problems, try a larger board until you get the hang of it... That's probably the biggest difference you can make - a larger board will surf way easier.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:28 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiscoStu View Post
I surf my '06 X-30 regularly with no issues. Port side ballast FULL, center FULL, right side about 1/4 full. Trim tab all the way down. If you get people in the boat, make sure they are on the port side as well. All of that is for a surfer on the port side of the boat...

As for speed, I play with it a little, but I tell my wife to stick to 8-9MPH. Small adjustments up and down, but right in that range.

If you are having problems, try a larger board until you get the hang of it... That's probably the biggest difference you can make - a larger board will surf way easier.
I'd like to see your surf wave if you have some video please.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:56 PM
TT Regular

OK - will do. I'm heading out this weekend, I'll take the cam.

I do have photos, I'll find them and post 'em tonight.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:37 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiscoStu View Post
OK - will do. I'm heading out this weekend, I'll take the cam.

I do have photos, I'll find them and post 'em tonight.
Thanks. I know there was a major hull change to the 30s in 06 so I'm just wondering how much of a difference in wave there might be.

I hear a lot of pre 06 X30 owners talking about weighting the front of the boat while in my 06 I have found that any weight up front just kills the waves length and height.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:40 AM
TT Regular

Yeah, it took a little fiddling, to get there... Trim tab was the tricky part, once you put water in the front. With full center ballast, the trim tab has to be all the way down to put all of that weight at the back of the boat. Turning *slightly* also helps, but that just really makes the top of the breaker "sharper". It gets rid of the white water at the top of the wave, but doesn't really change the shape or size of the wave.

I agree - The first thing I noticed about adding front weight was that the wave got shorter in length, but higher in height. Higher because the trough is way deeper. I have a pic of 2 surfers on the same wave, on the same side, but there's not a lot of room.

I'll post the pics today.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:05 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 X-30
I'm a newbie to wake making, but I was under the impression that the trim tab down makes the back of the boat ride higher out of the water... Isn't that counterproductive to all the rear weighting?